Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New & Lost

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Cory_S 
#1 ·
Need some help calming my nerves? I am a week into my new truck, a 2008 6.4 Powerstroke with a very thirsty appetite. Traded my 07 CTD 5.9 CTD with lots of mods and ready to get-r- done every day, never let me down and got a #### load better gas mileage, even with a lift and 35 murders on it.

My question is, I will probably be deleting the DPF and programmer to shut off the regeneration mode. Just do not have the balls to do it yet in #### hole California. What I need to do is move back to Idaho. Well if I do the delete, do I need to install the EGR block plates or is that just an additional option?

Also, need to know, this is about the fourth time this has happened. When I go to shut off my truck it idles above 1,000 RPM will not go down until I put my foot on the brake. What is this:
:mad:

#2 ·
The only things that I know that raise the engine idle are if the weather is cold the truck will up the rpm to assist warm up and when I got my 08 and it was running on the early factory programming it would have a high idle while it was in regeneration mode. I am considering dpf delete as well, and have heard that egr can stay if the tune is not too radical. I'm worried that my state will adopt Cali emission laws, probably as soon as I delete my dpf. Hopefully others will chime in here and advise you more, and welcome to the nation.

#3 ·
needs to have the latest flash on the computer before anything is done.
the old/original programs on the computers let it regen in park. no longer can they do this.

no need to block off egr unless wastegate is done.

just get a sct livewire from a site sponsor and delete pipe/pipes and you'll love it.

#5 ·
sounds like the same questions I had after owning mine for 1 week. This is what I did and I am a lot happier with it.

Flo-pro 5" exhaust with DOC and DPF delete
Spartan Tuner (need to still order the next stage tunes for EGR code removal)
Cobbs EGR delete plates. (no need to install a wastegate unless you are pushing tunes over 250, even then its debatable between everyone on here.

Now when you install the Delete Plates Personally I would remove the vertical cooler all together then pull the 2 coolant lines from the timing cover and weld the connectors shut and use them as plugs.

I now get 19-20 mpg and it runs like a champ on the 250 spartan tune. No disappearing coolant either!

That 1200 rpm idle is the truck trying to finish a REGEN cycle from my understanding. Go out and drive it more or order the spartan and get the flo-pro exhaust.

#10 ·
My truck is a 2008 6.4 4WD with 33k on it. The DPF delete kit I probably be getting will be from Gear Box Z. The Ford Plus model. I would like to run this one as I like the price.
Gear Box Z

I understand I do not need to plug off the EGR if I do not tune it to run like a grape ape, is this true. I ask because I do not have the factory warranty as the time has expired on the truck but when I traded, the Cummins in I bought a $2,500 after market warranty. I do not want any problems if I need to take it in to Ford. With the DPF, I can just pull and set computer back the head in to the shop. The last thing I want is to remove EGR plates.

2010drive I moved to California because I am a government contractor working on GSE gear for Navy Aircraft. Some day though I will cut strings and bounces out of this state.

One last thing does your MPG read out higher then your math. My truck says 14 my wife’s math says 12.5 WTF. Please do not tell me I pulled a stupid when I traded my Dodge in. No just joking I have total faith in Ford; it is just that I have a huge learning curve.

:ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.