Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

bov

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  jimdawg185 
#1 ·
flame suit on. is there a way to make one of those cheap ricer bovs work on one of these trucks? the bd electric ones are crazy expensive.

#2 ·
I have no idea how to answer ur question. But isnt a BOV sort of like a loud/ricey waste gate? flame me if im wrong, but i would imagine you could hook up one of the ricer bov's the same way. I imagine they run off of pressure of some kind that can be regulated.

#4 ·
they open with vacume when the throttle body closes, not pressure. i get insane stall when i let off at the end of the track. i believe thats what bent the shaft in my h2e. if the truck happens to cut off when i let off it will chirp for a minimum of ten seconds or till i start it back up.

#5 ·

the noise at the very end of this vid is the noise i get, cant hear it in the vid but it will just keep doin it till i start it back up.

#6 ·
A BOV is there to relieve the pressure on the compressior side of the turbo when the throttle body closes. Tial make about the best BOV on the market. You can find them used anywhere from $100 to $250. All you do is weld it on to the intercooler piping post turbo and pre throttle body and attach a vacume line to the top of it.
Blowoff Valves : SPEEDFACTORY, Parts Department

#7 ·
but diesels have no throttle body and only a constant vac mechanical pump.

#9 ·
I dont know that much about diesels but as long as when you let your foot off of the gas and the truck stops making boost and starts making vacume then it should work just fine.

#10 ·
Diesels have no throttle bodies therefore make no vacuum. That's why we have those little electric vacuum pumps to make our heater and a/c controls work.

Maybe you could make a switch to actuate the cheaper BOV with vacuum from the canister?

#11 ·
i just dont know how i would do it where its not open all the time at idle.

#14 ·
interesting, lol i am cheap though. i was thinking a $40 one. maybe ill post in the 6.4 section then.

#15 ·
LOL With the amount of mods you have done to your truck, I don't think you can say you're cheap, lol.

My turbo makes the same noise, and I can understand your concern, with what these turbos cost. With that mindset, I would want a good quality BOV. And seeing as we need the controller for it to work, it's not going to be cheap.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Dave

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.