Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

gauges or headstuds

4K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  justintimemoto 
#1 ·
i finally bought a programmer for my truck, im looking into either getting gauges and doing headstuds eventually if they go bad. im looking at getting auto meter gauges and i was wondering should i go w four gauges or 3 also what ones should i get trans pyro boost fuel? i really dont want to go over 300 but i can if i have to. where is the cheapest place to get them if anyone knows? any information is appreciate thanks

#4 ·
:whs:

I have 4, Pyro, Oil temp, Coolant temp and fuel pressure.

With xtreme race I can watch my fuel pressure drop right off when I floor it. And the oil/coolant gauges are good to get an early warning on your oil cooler plugging up.

#5 ·
I would do gauges first. this will help you monitor your powerstroke, to prolong the need for studs. You can go get studs done, run the piss out of your truck, and have to do it again. At least with gauges, you will have a better idea of when your truck is crying.

Gauges, I would go Fuel, EGT and Trans OR coolant temp. 300 is going to be a tight budget, Im going through the same thing right now. If you can afford it, try to get the Edge Insight CS w/ EGT Probe. This will run you around $400 from innovative. This doubles as a diagnostics tool also. But if you set on gauges, I think ISSPRO, or Autometer is going to be your best bet. I am probably going to go the cheaper route, and get the GlowShift gauges, tinted 7 color option. They put together a package. Im getting the EGT, fuel and trans, with grey pillar pod for $200. Reviews show the gauges to be accurate, but many dont like them. Im on a budget, so Im going this route for now, unless I can find a cheap Insight with probe...

Good luck...

#10 ·
I would suggest and Edge insight for gauges...they work very well, its very accurate and offers alot for the money, plus a simple install to boot. Soon Edge will have accessory senders available for the new Insight CS/CTS so that we can install them wherever and have things like fuel pressure and oil pressure off on unit, that's what's makes these units killer.

#12 ·
Thats the same unit I suggested earlier. I like it more and more. Like stated above, it offers a lot for the money. I think you can get the CS model for around $299, then around $130 for the EGT probe, then another $30-40 or the pod.

The CTS model has a backup camera option, and I believe is touch screen also. Pretty nice unit.

As far as the glowshift gauges go, Im not quite sure why they are knocked so much. I have read reviews from guys with turbo'ed imports, who have run the GS, and they say they are accurate. I think the cosmetics of the gauge is what throws people off. From what I hear, they are a smaller operation, so that could be the reasoning for that.

Im currently trying to find an insight for sale, used. If I dont find one by next week, I will order the GS gauges, tinted 7 color.

#14 ·
I would order the EGT, Fuel pressure and coolant temp OR trans temp

#15 ·
Exhaust gas temp, transmission temp and boost. You will need to keep an eye on the tranny, especially if you tow. I watch EGT and tranny constantly and I thought the boost gauge was kinda 'eye candy', since if your boost goes you will know it right away...until I was traveling through Texas and as I went up hill the boost would climb and at 12PSI it would shut off...turns out a bad sensor, but knowing it shut off at 12 psi was a great troubleshooting aid.

Tim

#16 ·
I didnt mention boost above because I just use the factory boost gauge that is in the cluster.

#17 ·
i just got super chips and i switch it to heavy tow, because it says not to haul anything over 6000 pounds on performance and miledge xs, is that because you should watch your egts and what not? also im probably just going to get the edge insight cs thanks for all the info guys

#18 ·
Why did you get the superchips? I wouldn't run any of those tunes when towing. Be careful with it..

You can always get a price from Jimmy at upstate diesel too. He beat every price I've seen anywhere for me.

#19 ·
b.c super chips was in the budget and you can use it on a 6.4, but i hate to say this but i think my head gaskets are gone again :( so i hate to say this but im starting to think about getting a duramax my uncle has one and its awesome power is great and everything i know im goign to get bashed for this, but if im going to put money in a truck im going to on one i plan on keeping. i dont plan on keeping this one for much longer so....... :confused:

#20 ·
Thats too bad man. I wish you were closer, becuase I would like to trade you wheels. I love thse stock 20" wheels. I cant find them anywhere near me, or less than an arm and a leg.

#21 ·
i just really dont know what to do i love my truck , i filled my tank up a few weeks ago pulled a 30ft camper up through what we call mountains and well i checked it it was low i checked it again this morning it was low so i going to run it and see what happens, i just dont kow what to do put arp's in and gaskets or look at a 6.7 or a duramax i honestly dont know :(

#22 ·
Duramax's are nice trucks, easy to make power and are light, but you couldn't really run a decent tune on one without building the trans. The Ford easily has the best trans. You weren't running the programmer while you were towing that camper were you?

Your truck is still under warranty, so just get it fixed...

#23 ·
yeah i had it on heavy tow, it has performance , light tow, heavy tow, miledge xs and i had it on heavy tow and i was easy on it. its still under warranty but there just going to blow again these have not even been in for over a year

#25 ·
Pressure for what, the coolant system? It's kind of a null test, since usually if the gaskets are blown, your motor will be OVER-pressurizing the coolant system to push it out. You can get a new cap at Napa for like $5 to try, it's cheap and easy to do to eliminate problems.

#26 ·
take the superchips off of it, drive it for a couple days and take it to the dealer, let them figure out what the problem is and get it fixed, if its gaskets again, it either wasn't repaired properly the first time or you have a cracked or warped head/heads or a cracked block. Then DON'T install the superchips back on it.

#27 ·
It sounds like the job wasnt done right the first time, unless your opinion of "Easy" isnt what my opinion is.

If your still under warranty, do like states above. Pull the ####tychips, dive it for a week or so, then take it into the dealership. Ford has been eating this issue for a while now, and will continue for the next couple of years until warranties diminish.

I truely believe the only good tune is a custom tune. A guy I know has an 05 Duramax, and he just had a ton of motor work done. HG and HS, plus he was getting major blow-by. All from a SC... Damn SC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.