Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Best Paint For Suspension Parts

20K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  91turbogsx 
#1 ·
What do you guys use to repaint your suspension components after they've gotten a little rusty or the factory paint has worn down...Flat, Semi-Gloss or Gloss...and what type of paint holds up really well....

#2 ·
I've been using SEM Rust Shield Satin Black. Couldn't be happier.

#3 ·
I've been using Vansickle implement spray cans. They make high temp,gloss,and satin in black. Holds up very good to everything including heat.

#11 ·
#9 ·
My wife has painted pretty-much the whole undersides, including the springs, shackles, etc., of both her trucks with linseed oil paint. More expensive than most auto paints, but WAAAY cheaper than POR-15 or any of the exotic rust-stoppers. And WAAAAAAAAY safer to use. Smells like an old-time furniture shop when she applies it. No hazmat-mojo required like with POR, et al. It's what the Vikings painted their ships with; there are centuries-old wood buildings in Scandinavia preserved by linseed oil paint. And esp. if you make your own using an iron oxide pigment, it's a great metal rust preventive.

#14 ·
just curious but why is por 15 junk. i am gettn ready to redo the whole chassis and was looking at a few different products. por was one of them so is roll on bed liner

#17 ·
I applied POR-15 on the Dana 60 prior to me installing it. The axle was striped down to the just the housing. It was steam pressure washed, rinsed off in Safety Clean and then steam pressure washed again. There was no oil what so ever on it.

I responded to the POR-15 warehouse to pick up the stuff to know it's a fresh batch. The warehouse is about 30 min from me. In less then a year, it was flaking off.

Me friend that restored his 1st Gen Camaro also had the same experience with POR-15. He turned me to this stuff MasterSeriesCT Coating Line Rust Prevention - MasterSeriesCT and I couldn't be happier.

Take a look in my picture album, click on full size to get a better idea. I did my open car trailer with the stuff and it still looks the same way today as I first applied it. The trailer sits outside 24/7. Trailer pictures from rides photos on webshots

I'll take some pics of my Dana 60 knuckles I did with the Masterseries compared to the POR-15'd axle.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

#16 ·
I've tried Rustoleum and Neverrust. Neither held up. My current favorite is Rustoleum Series 9100 epoxy paint.

#18 ·
thats good stuff man, thanks a ton. im looking at the product right now and gonna order tomorrow. your trailer looks sweet too. did you build the whole thing.

#19 ·
Order it from here - direct from the manufacturer The MasterSeries Coating Line By PM Industries: Headquarters of MasterSeries Rust Preventive Paints and Coatings For Less - Get Rid Of the Pits! . The link in my previous post is a distributor.

When you call the manufacturer, speak with the owner (forgot his name) and he'll give you the low down about POR-15 on how they are fooling everyone. He's very informative.

Na, I didn't build it just made it a bit more presentable. ;)

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

#26 ·
The bedliner holds up nicely but its tough to keep it clean bc of the texture i think. I just put on some semi-gloss black tractor/farm equiptment paint from TSC cost 12 bucks for a quart and is holding up great and easier to keep clean than bedliner. Buy a cheap sprayer and go to town.

#27 ·
I am using Chassis Saver in the gloss black. I did my other truck 7 years ago and it still looks like brand new today. No flaking or rust through. A little pricey at $102.95 a gallon though.

#28 ·
If you really want it to last you need to spend the money on a quality paint. I used SEM Rust-Shield on mine which doesn't need to be topcoated last year on my truck and it still looks exactly like it did when I first applied it.

I've seen people use the bedliners or undercoating and they flake off after a short time.

I'll swear by SEM products. I "spray" painted my grilled with SEM's Chip Guard paint and it doesn't have a single chip in it yet I have people who have had body shops paint their grilles/bumpers and they chip after a few weeks. So far have not found one of their products that has made me think otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.