Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Injector issues

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Arisley 
#1 ·
My trucks having some bad injector issues. The truck runs rough at idle and it hazes out some white smoke. A friend of mine brought home his scan tool and it said injector timing but prior to this I had gotten water in my fuel and it rusted my injectors is what the mechanic told me so he replaced the bad ones as well as the fuel pump but the truck never ran properly after. Would my best option be just to buy a set of injectors and start fresh? I was thinking of buying beans diesel stage 1s. Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Never heard of rusted injectors. Seems like it would have to be pretty much straight water for that.

I would pull off the valve covers and double check the connections on all of the injectors. Bet you find one that is not good. Or a UVCH not plugged in good. Or a flaky UVCH harness that should have been replaced to begin with.

#5 ·
Never heard of rusted injectors. Seems like it would have to be pretty much straight water for that.
we see them far too ofter...

I would pull off the valve covers and double check the connections on all of the injectors. Bet you find one that is not good. Or a UVCH not plugged in good. Or a flaky UVCH harness that should have been replaced to begin with.
no mention of CEL/SES light on the dash precludes any wiring issue. [the PCM doesn't give a crap about injector "balance"...but it will absolutely throw an SES light if there is any lack of electrical continuity]

if the owner knows that he had water in his fuel...then that pretty much explains 100% of his issues.

#3 ·
:whs: If you do need some I just had some Swamps remans put in and they are doing well so far. I got them from Sinister Diesel here in Phx.

#6 ·
so what do you suggest i do, im open to all suggestions to get my truck back. There is also no check engine light on at all I guess thats what you mean by the pcm not giving a crap about balance

#7 ·
drop fuel tank, drain, clean & rinse tank with clean fuel, blow out alllll fuel feed & return lines, remove injectors, drain fuel bowl, clean fuel bowl, install new fuel filter, replace injectors with new or quality rebuilt & flow tested injectors...start truck & drive away.

that's what its going to take.

take care~

Dave

#13 ·
you can't "clean" away the damage that occurs to the plunger & barrel assembly within the injector, which is now galled from a liquid with no/little lubricity.

these 2 hardened steel parts "slide" on a film of fuel as the fuel is being injected out of the injector nozzle...

when water (gasoline, contaminants from poor filtration, etc) makes its way into the injector...these parts don't maintain a film/ boundary layer that protects these two parts (from each other)...and the plunger and barrel begin transferring metal onto each other (much like a piston scuffs in a cylinder bore)...

even if the contaminant is removed, or remedied...these parts can't heal themselves of the gouges & scratches. The scratches/galling now prevent fuel to be "pressed" down..out the nozzle..since the fuel is now able to leak up through these 'voids' in the metal.

the white smoke out the tailpipe is usually a mechanical 'delay' in fuel reaching the cylinder...put fuel in a cylinder too "late" and it doesn't have time to burn (completely)...hence the "raw" fuel smoke.

needless to say...we wouldn't recommend wasting a single dollar on an injector "cleaner".

#14 ·
i really appreciate the feedback and being patient with all my questions haha i've had the truck for 5 years now and haven't had a problem till this and i've never worked on a diesel motor before only on gas, but thanks alot, and if theres any more info i'd greatly appreciate it

#17 ·
Ok so now that i've finally except the fact that i need to buy new injectors, what do you recommend? The trucks my daily driver, but i'd like to have fun with it, i tow my 98 cobra, and my 21foot boat so I dont need anything to crazy but extra power is always better what do you suggest?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.