Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Swamps

4K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
Hey guys i am about to order a chip for my truck (stats are in sig)
And i am leaning towards PHP. I have read a lot about php, dp, bdp, tony wildman, etc but i havent heard hardly anything about swamps. is anyone running swamps and what is the tuning like in comparison?

#3 ·
ah okay sweet. I was actuelly wanting to know more about shifting characteristics and pedal feel etc.

#5 ·
interested in this to. kinda looking into swamps tunes.

#7 ·
sweet! thats a good price if you already have a ts-chip.

I was told swamps was better for manual tranny trucks thats why i am going to give them a try. I have seen weird names for tunes like travisf350 and drag3b etc i just dont know what they are for :confused:

#10 ·
Talk to Swamps and they will explain the different tunes to you. I had Swamps tunes on my '96 for ~12 months and never had a problem with it. Pedal feel and shift characteristics were great. Both tuners I have used have been great.

Sam

#11 ·
Buddy put them in his truck and went back to dp. I dont like how they use the same tunes on all the stock injector and oil trucks.

#22 ·
When I called to get a chip they never asked what the truck had done to it. All they asked was year, auto tranny, if I had aftermarket hpop and injectors. I went to tell him about the exhaust, intake, valve body and so fourth and he said didnt matter.

When I ordered my chip from jody years ago it was like a survey.

Personally it did not seem like a custom chip to me.

#13 ·
I like the tuning onmy truck. There isn't too much I'd change about how it runs (tuning related).

And based off their track record of making power on stock blocks... I'll stick with them.

#14 ·
Friends running swamps tunes and runs damn good.

My reservations for not running Swamps Tunes for my new turbo /injector combo was
"you get what you get, I dont have the time to spend adjusting things if you just order a chip."

Maybe on a stock injector/oil truck tunning is old hat,
but with signifigant changes turbo and other wise I don't feel comfortable
with a one shot deal, even as confident as I feel it would run well with there tuning.
May be a QC issue from a business point of view.

#28 ·
If this is true they will not get any of my money.I am thinking about injectors soon. I have the DP with stock injectors and engine tuning is perfect.I am pretty picky and would like to tweak the trans tuning slightly.Jody called me personaly to anserw my questions and said it was no problem to make changes.....just send the chip in.

#15 ·
How can they run the same tunes for all stocks trucks when theres variation like transmission type, weight , etc. And PCM codes as well? i dunno i am just really curious because this will be my first chip on my first diesel truck so i am psyched. Just dont wanna make a wrong choice.

#16 ·
The best way to get what you want the first time is to write a detailed note that tells the tuner what you do with the truck, your mods, PCM code, and your concerns (such as shift points and other drivability issues).

Jonathan @ Swamp's has never done me wrong when tuning my chip, and he's had it a few times. Quick turn around time too. You mail it, they get it, they burn it, they mail it. It doesn't sit on their shelf for 3 weeks, which is always nice.

#18 ·
I have a Swamps chip on my basically stock 250.
I usually only use the 50 and 75 settings, but I like it a lot.

Dave (golfer) has always been extra helpful and answered all of my rookie questions....

#19 ·
Golfer and Bean took the time to answer my questions. I liked the fact that BDP has a dyno and supposedly makes tunes using the dyno as a tool.

However, Golfer has given me feed back that NO ONE else has given me. I either was unanswered/ignored or inadvertantly looked over by other vendors when i posed a few questions to them, by either PM, email or on a thread.

I don't believe you would go wrong w/ any of the top vendors here but do ask around to see what type of Customer service they have. I avoid two around here due to getting no responses from them.

#20 ·
I've always had good luck with Swamps tunes, and they've emailed me new tunes to try several times.

As far as the names of their tunes, they will build a tune for a specific truck's combo, and name it after that guy or truck. TravisF350 is for Moremph's old 97 CCLB, and Drag3b is a drag tune that's been revised a few times.

Dave

#21 ·
ive personally been to swamps shop and they are top notch to say the least. I seen the reburns coming in and the amount going out and they dont stay there long at all. they are brought in, reburnt, and shipped out.

#26 ·
There must be a little diffence cause between the 2 tuners when one ran 150 degrees cooler on the tow tune. I dont see how a motor that is breathing a lot better and has a john wood valve body would would use the same tunes a a stock truck. But I am still learning. Oh well back to the thread he started.

#27 ·
A valve body and an intake aren't exactly "power mods" either.

#35 ·
Swamps makes great tunes and has great customer service. My tunes had great throttle response and great shifting. I ran their tunes to Florida empty and got 15mpg with cruise set on 80, and got 15mpg on the way back towbaring a 350 CCLB. that was a pretty warm tune also. I was happy.

#38 ·
Love my swamps tunes... Of all the tuning I have run (lots) Swamps is in the top 2... Beans and PHP are my next trys...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.