Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Air bags?

3K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  GTOKILLER 
#1 ·
I recently added a leveling kit to my truck and it did not level it out at all in the least bit it made the front much higher. i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what there solution to curing this problem is. I would like to level out the truck but also beef up the carrying capacity so i was thinking air bags or should i just add leafs or blocks? any help would be appreciated thanks guys

#7 ·
Air bags over leaf springs are for correcting sag due to an increase of weight. By using then to add lift you will have a very harsh ride.

Add blocks to get the desired ride height and then use the air bags if you tow to keep that height.

#9 ·
How much do you need to lift the rear to make level? IMO 450/550 will make it ride stiff....guess it depends on what you want to do/use your truck for. Maybe as easy as putting in a thicker block in and use what you have....

jrc

#10 ·
ok then, you are gonna hafta clarify...

I recently added a leveling kit to my truck and it did not level it out at all in the least bit it made the front much higher.
...thats what a leveling kit is supposed to do, pick the front end up to level it with the rear! adding blocks in the back is not gonna LEVEL your truck out unless you have some SERIOUS sag going on.

either post pics, or give us some ground-to-wheel well arch measurements...

#11 ·
I thought i did clarify when i said it made the front much higher, but i guess i should have said that the front now sits much higher then the rear so the leveling kit just acted like a lift kit in the front..the rear of the truck is much lower then the front

#12 ·
well then the leveling kit did exactly what it was supposed to do, it just sounds like you didnt need it...why did you put it in ?!?

nevertheless...now you need to either; remove the leveling kit, or get a larger block in the back to level out the leveling kit :D

#13 ·
I know i should have taken before and after pics back when I did but with out a doubt the truck deffinately needed it, now when i add a block to level out the back of the truck will that interfere in anyway of me wanting to add more leafs or an airbag kit also?

#17 ·
yea thats the exact look im looking for, to me ur truck is at a beautiful height and like you i am running 35inch tires as well so im not looking to have a huge lift just a nice ride height but also i need a higher load capacity

#18 ·
thanks man.. if that is what you are after you should find a 350 block and order you an add a leaf for the rear and you should be set.. if you dig around here you might get lucky and find a set of used 350 blocks for a good price.. good luck man:D

#19 ·
If you are happy with the height of the front you ended up with, then play around with the rear. Get a benchmark measurement (top of rear wheel arch to ground). Take a jack and lift using the trailer receiver until you are happy with the "level". Measure at the previous location and figure how much it was raised (subtraction). Next measure the present block. Add the height raised to the block height and then purchase a new block of the height required.

I run Firestone RideRite air bags.

#21 ·
Just bag it!! they ride so much better, adjustable to whatever tires you want, I can run 35's or 46's just depends on what I wana do that day! Nice truck's though you guys

#23 ·
LOL , ya I know, Sorry I really dont know how to upload pics Im new on here, but I have to lower it when I go to the cop shop for all my "fix it" tickets with stock tires & no air 24 inch frame height, 46's and 32psi gets me to 47" frame height!! gotta love superdutys!

#25 ·
Oh I have an account with a ton of pics in it, I just did a full restore on mine, the salt ate this truck alive!! All new cab corners, box, inner & outer rockers and door bottoms. I should have pics of the tires up by tomorrow night, here is the link.

Superduty restore pictures by zeus_duke - Photobucket

#27 ·
WOW, its that easy! Thanks a ton. :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.