Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

lLooking for a "Good" Point and Shoot Camera

431 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Arisley 
#1 ·
Need a good quality point and shoot camera for "cheap" but not to cheap...want one that can be abused, has a good zoom & takes good pictures.....

Have a Canon PowerShot A10 camera that's over 10 years old......and the oldest daughter went and inherited it...& it's still running like a champ....and a dead Sony DSC-N1 that took great pictures while it was alive....

So, what are some good Point and shoot cameras to take a look at???

#2 ·
Find a copy of Consumer Reports August issue. They review Digital cameras from pocket size to SLR including pocket size with the best zoom capabilities.

#3 ·
The most durable one I know of is the Olympus Stylus Tough 8xxx series. They aren't kidding when they say waterproof/crushproof/drop-proof. I've been swimming in oceans and pools with mine, dropped it in snow and from a bike onto cobblestone and it doesn't even look beat up. It takes pretty good pics, about like most others. Zoom is 5x which is also pretty good. Its not real cheap, but they really last. I've had mine for years and its traveled most of the country by bike twice.

If you don't need that sort of durability, look for the camera with the biggest lens (numerically smallest f-stop value). Panasonic has some really nice glass on some of their cameras. Look at their FH1A for example. Pretty cheap and takes great photos. If you want a lot of zoom in a small camera their ZR3 is quite good, but realize that its hard to get the shutter fast enough on a small camera to get crisp handled shots at extreme zoom unless its quite bright outside.

#6 ·
I buy my wife a new camera every time she breaks hers. I buy cheap name brand ones (under 100 bucks). I will usually buy one a few months after she gets a new one. That way when she breaks it, I can replace it the next day. It's a plus plus, she has a easy to use cam that takes pretty good pics, I have a constant source for cheap gifts. The one she has now is a pink Sony. The one in waiting is a slate blue Sony (it matches her phone). I might actually have to break her pink one, I don;t want her to change phones and ruin the match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.