Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Goin' to the Gun Show Tomorrow

4K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  Greg373 
#1 ·
Goin' to the Gun Show over here tomorrow after I get done putting gauges in the Cummings. Probably gonna try and pick up something. I'm looking for a nice handgun for home defense and that's fun to shoot on the weekends. Doesn't need to be concealable or anything since I don't have a ccw yet. What would y'all recommend and is there anything I should be on the look out for? And if you know what kinda money I'd be lookin' at with your suggestion, let me know that too. Tryin' to buy an input shaft for the Cummings too. LOL

For the record, I haven't shot a hand gun in probably 15 years, but I was an expert marksman in the military. Still have a tough time saying "gun" instead of "weapon". :hehe:

I'd like to keep it under $600ish, doesn't matter to me if it's new or used. This will be my first hand gun.

#2 ·
Beretta PX4 storm full size or sub compact 9mm 40 and 45 between 5 and 600 best pistol i have ever shot. i personally have the 45 full size and have put about a 1000 rounds through it and never had a problem or misfire or anything.

#4 ·
:whs: I own a Beretta 92FS and it is a really good pistol. The Beretta PX4 Storm (.40) is next on my list.

I don't care for the trigger pull of some of the newer Springfield pistols. Way too long of a pull for me. .02

#3 ·
Danny most importantly....bring cash and a check....you can go to gun shows and get everything taken care of right there to get a CCW...it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than doing it any other time.

They take your pic right there(to send to the FBI), they let you shoot a .22 cap gun(for weapon familiarization), and they help you fill out all the paperwork and even send it off for you.

besides...you won't be getting a gun...there is a 2 week hold right now if I'm not mistaken...

If you did have a CCW already...you would've been able to walk out with as many guns as you could carry tomorrow...LOL

./

#14 ·
wait, they let you take the CCW there with a .22??? and at a gun show????

and in Texas, you can walk out with as many as you want even without a ccw.. just takes about 15-30 min longer or so per gun.

#11 ·
Danny skip the gun show if you plan on buying. There are waaayyyy better deals to be had at anywhere BUT the gun show. Thats exactly what it is, is a show. Save your money and look around for better deals. Just my 2 cents after the last few shows I went to

#31 ·
actually...its 34 to be exact...they added 1...since the last time you checked....

I didn't know the exact number...that is why I said " I think"....now I know..

Alabama1, 3, 5
Alaska1
Arizona6
Arkansas1
Colorado1, 4
Delaware
Georgia1
Idaho3, 6
Indiana1, 3, 6
Kansas1
Kentucky
Louisiana1
Michigan1, 4
Mississippi1
Missouri
Montana3
Nebraska1
New Hampshire1, 3, 4, 6
New Mexico1
North Carolina1
North Dakota3, 6
Ohio1
Oklahoma1
Pennsylvania1, 6
South Carolina1, 4, 6
South Dakota1, 3
Tennessee1, 6
Texas1, 3, 6
Utah1, 6
Vermont2
Virginia1, 6
Washington1, 6
West Virginia1
Wyoming1, 3

#38 ·
I am a fan of the Ruger hunter 3 with the 6" barel and fiber optic sites.
I can shoot bulls all day long and it is not exspensive to shoot. For a gun to pick up and relearn to shoot you cant beat it.

I like SW revolvers in any caliber Nice shooting guns.

I am working on my Colt 1911 I am not bad with it but it is not cheap to shoot and it is not cheap to just cary around. Not a gun to relearn on well depending on how long ago you were in the military you probably have shot them.

My .02
And befor some one says a 22 is not enuff for protection you have no idea what you are talking about.

#48 ·
If you can find a Sig 229 that's the bad boy. You can get barrel kits to make it a .357sig 40cal or even get the 22lr upper. One gun that you can get comfortable with so you know where the round goes every time. I love mine. Want to shoot you can swap the barrel to 40cal and shoot for about 15$ for 50 rounds. Just want to be trigger happy swap out to the 22lr. It's a great carry gun. Little heavy, but not bad. Compact frame with a tac rail. I've seen a few at gun shows out here used for around 600. They maybe a little higher out there in LA. I know out here in AZ. Gun sales from person to person are cash and carry. No paperwork. God I love Arizona.

#49 ·
If you want accuracy, reliability and simplicity, get a walther P-38 ( also known as a P-1) it may not hold a lot of ammo ( 9 rounds) but it will never fail to go bang when you pull the trigger, plus it's pretty light to carry, and it can be obtained relativly cheap ( picked mine up for less than 250) there is a reason almost every member of my family has one- they work. combine those with some magsafe or hornady personal defense ammo, you have the perfect pistol IMHO.

#52 ·
true revolvers are very accurate, but the majority i have seen are more expensive than a P-38 ( unless you plan on getting a cheap single action i.e. heritage arms "rough rider" .357), plus a .38 special ( or bigger) has more recoil than the 9mm cartridge that the walther uses. the P-38 i have was a german police trade in when i bought it, since then i have used it for hog hunting, to just plinking, i have approx. put close to 3200 rds through it, and it has NEVER jammed, stovepiped, or failed to fire. It also takes me less than five seconds to have it field stripped. the germans were pretty smart when they pressed this pistol into service, theres a reason it was used from WWII all the way into the mid 90's.

#53 ·
Its not the movies it is real life. You dont need a caliber capable of blowing off limbs. Dont get me wrong i like and have them. But a 22 will do the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.