Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

p pump idi

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  powerstroke cowboy 
#1 ·
whats the thoughts on the subject? lower the compression,fill the block,cat pump? big turbo,injectors? should be a fun time. strick pull truck.

#2 ·
It'll probably be harder to get the power out of it than a PSD, but I'm sure it can be done. I'd start with a turbo motor or at least turbo rods as they use a larger piston pin and are stronger. Turbo pistons themselves are also stronger and can take higher egt's though that won't matter if you are going for low compression.

I'm not certain, but I think they heads probably don't flow as much as PSD heads so some port work, maybe even larger valves or cam might help keep EGTs under control.

#3 ·
By cat pump I guess you are refering to a 3208 cat? If so that is not a Bosch P-pump. It is a cat built v-style pump. I think you can get them turned up some but not like you can a p-pump. It is also my understanding that the idi blocks are not as strong as the 7.3ps blocks. The idi has only 5 head bolts per cylinder where the ps has 6. It would take a little work to get it to fit on an idi but nowhere as complicated as it would on a powerstroke. For the most part you should really only need an adaptor hub to go from cat pump to timing gear (granted the pump is the right rotation), spacer plate to go inbetween the pump and timing cover, and new injector lines. I think the hardest part of the whole project would be timing the pump to the engine correctly.

#4 ·
well it has been done back in the early 90s by hypermax it was a twin turbo p-pump said to have in excess of 1000 crank hp originally designed for sled pulling but was banned engine was then used in a drag truck and is rumored to have run 9sec 1/4mi .theres also a thread on here about not sure how to post the link

#5 ·
Tea they crossed a 6.9 and 7.3L to do it. And did some Hefty Block Work...

They had a hard time keeping the freeze Plugs in at 120+ PSI of boost..

That was one mean engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.