Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1st time pullin, and need your advice.

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  groomzybanshe 
#1 ·
sooo are pullin truck is finally ready to hook this weekend!
i got 355/400's with a BFH and all the supporting mods and that good stuff with a BTS trans. BUT... the valves in my heads seem to be leaking and robbing me of 100+ HP. so im not quite getting all the power i want.

So ive never pulled before, what gear should i start in? or just put her in drive and let it rip? and how much boost should i launch at?
im assuming i should put it in Low Range? also running 35x12.50 BFG a/t how much air should i put in them?

Any info you could give me would be great. Thanks!!:ford:

#2 ·
I run15 psi up front. 20 in the rear. Put it in drive ,od off...if it gets up in the r's in 3rd, then go ahead and let it in 4th...in 4 low and I'm guessin 410 gears

#7 ·
tire pressure will depend on track conditions.... loose track you will want less tire pressure for more grip but if the track is tight then you will wanna run a higher pressure so that you can keep your wheel speed up.

I start off in 4 lo and 2nd gear and just roll into the throttle till i get a lil forward movement, then its wot till the rpms get where i want them, then shift to 3rd and when the rpms come up i lock the tc and just let it ride all the way to the red flag.

I dont boost from the launch as that just makes your tires spin like crazy and imo that just makes it harder to get your momentum going.

just my .02

#8 ·
It won't see 4th gear....i usually turn the overdrive off, start off in 2nd gear and the once the rpms are up, shift into third (drive).

I usuall like my tire pressures around 50 in the rear and 30 in the front.

#12 ·
What kinda wheel speed do you think you can maintain? I'd guess 25 to maybe 30, but with leaky valves I dunno.

This might help out, it's off a little bit, but should be pretty damn close. You can change the numbers in the colored boxes to fit your truck.

4.10's and 3500 should be around 30mph wheel speed in 3rd low.

Attachments

#18 ·
that is a sweet calculator tool

#15 ·

same pull, end of track

Boost up in 2nd, shift into 3rd before the 75' mark. Use your converter to keep your RPM's where you want it with a lockup switch. Keep rear tire pressure up, let front tire pressure be determined by track.

First off though, fix the truck..........

#16 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpk8Be_THng

same pull, end of track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrgQy-m0X0o

Boost up in 2nd, shift into 3rd before the 75' mark. Use your converter to keep your RPM's where you want it with a lockup switch. Keep rear tire pressure up, let front tire pressure be determined by track.

First off though, fix the truck..........
thanks,

but i want to enjoy the truck for now, i dont have the funds as of now for all the work. but im only pushing 40 PSI max of boost but it runs dang good for that.

#17 ·
I'll tell you since you have basically a similar setup to mine.......... there is a HUGE difference between 40 psi and 60 psi on that BFH. You're barely getting into the sweet spot.

I ran 12.9-13.1 only getting 40 psi.

Fixed my intake plenums and voila, 60 psi and 12.5's on the same setup. Definitely a HUGE HP killer. I went onto 12.07-12.20's with better tires and taking some weight off.

Not only that, but what do your EGT's look like? You may be doing more damage then you want if you are strapped for cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.