Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What is my fuel pressure gauge doing?

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Fasttimez 
#1 ·
Just installed my Isspro EV2 fuel pressure gauge. When I hooked it up and turned the key, fuel pressure needle went up to about 55 psi. When I turned it off and removed the key, the needle stayed at 55. When I turned the key back on, the needle swept to zero and then back up to around 55 when it started. Is it normal for the needle to stay up at 55 when the truck is off? If not, what is going on?

#4 ·
No its fine. The gauge is powered by a small motor so it will not return to 0 unless it sees 0 psi with power still applied to the gauge. All my autometer full sweep gauges stay where they last read, I assume the isspro's are the same way.

#5 ·
mine does the same thing. you should be just fine.

#13 ·
Sorry I missed this post, but it looks like you already got the right answers! The gauge has a stepper motor movement, with no other power source than the ignition wire, so it stays at its last spot when you remove power (turn off the truck). When you turn the key on, the gauge homes (sweeps to the peg just below zero), then moves to show the current reading. In this case, the electric fuel pump will have already pressurized the system and you are back up to operating pressure. Some people hook their gauge supply up to a source that is switched on with the key in the accessory position, that allows you to power up the gauge without powering up the fuel pump (for whatever that is worth).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

#30 ·
I have Autometer Ultralite's full sweep electric Trans, Pyro and Water temp...the trans is actually an Ultralite II because they only made short sweep in the regular Ultralite. All my gauges go to 0 when I turn my ignition off, if i turn my key forward in the run position they come back up and read correct, go back to 0 when key is switched off....These aren't the short sweep gauges, these are full sweep...you don't pay an average of $160 a gauge for short sweep...lol Maybe it's just the way I have them wired in...I've got them wired to be on only when the key is in the run position... I wonder if the way you guys have it wired the gauges are retaining power through the accessory delay function.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.