Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Can engine be pulled with cab on?

27K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Grandpa 
#1 ·
Well my #1 piston is cracked so its time to get to work on this thing. Wondering if I can pull the motor with the cab on or if it has to be cab off? Every other piston is fine so its looking like Im just gonna replace the one. Gonna do studs, and an egr delete w/ wastegate but am not sure whether to build more or leave it. Are the upgraded HPFPs running good now? How about the upgraded turbos and injectors? Dont want to drop to much coin in this truck and have it run like crap.

Thanks

#4 ·
I dont have a lift. any suggestions on how to pull it without one? Bunch of guys or not gonna happen?

#10 ·
ok well thats good news. Anybody know where to find a how to for that?

#12 ·
trans has to come out. then either the oil pan or the turbos have to be removed in get the engine up high enough to clear the crossmember. also everything has to come off the front including the bumper. if possible I would recommend finding a way to get access to a lift and pull the cab, it takes less than have the time then doing it cab on.

#16 ·
Thanks first.

#18 ·
Do it just like any other except you dont have a grill in the way, Pull radiator, intercooler, all accerory coolers out, unhook all the electronics, undo the down pipe, support the transmission, unbolt the trans mission (only after securing the engine to a hoist to support the weight), and depending on te ride hight of your truck either remove the front tires and let the axle sit on jack stands or let some of the air out of the front tires to make it more accessable to remove. Its no different than pulling any other motor except theres more stuff in the way but its pretty self explanitory to just more or remove what evers in the way. Just mae sure you have a engine hoist that can lift the weight of the 6.4 (just shy of 1300lbs)

Hope that helps explain it a bit more.

#22 ·
Well said. Literally just pulled a 2011 6.7 with the cab on jus the way mentioned here except I left the radiator in and took all the bolts off the core support and tilted it out. Keep it protected with cardboard just in case. But you need to remove the motor mounts completely to be able to slide the motor forward enough to disconnect from the transmission. Yes left it in. But I did pull the heads off beforehand. I may remove the radiator before I reinstall the engine. My suggestion is to have a Lot of Storage bins to keep the millions of bolts organized.

#19 ·
I looked over the procedure he gave me and its not just a normal engine removal. You have to take the oil pan off to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.