Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Whiteys carnage!!!

4K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  PSDPlayer 
#1 · (Edited)
got the motor tore down and found number 7 piston with broking ring landings not to bad for 120k and making over a 1000 hp with a nitrous backfire

and got the new turbo from dave@bullseye power thanks alot
custom s400 75/87mm with .90 ar t4 housing and race cover

Trannys also out and at suncoast getting rebuilt and all billet parts going in

#20 ·
Look at the top ring. Does it look bent on the edges like it completely closed the gap under the extreme heat and caused it to break the piston directly under it? Was the top ring rotated like it is in the picture or was the gap directly above the broken part of the piston when you pulled it out? The area above the top ring is thicker than what is under it. The issue that i'm thinking hapened is that there wasn't enough ring gap and it completely closed the ring end gap causing it to break the piston.

#22 ·
the top ring wasnt bent... all the rods were straight
on that last run that hurt it it had a good 1.5 ft flame coming out of the stack so it was running extremmely hot

this motor had a 120k on it when we did the headgaskets a 1k ago there were no crosshatch marks in the cylinders so the motor was wearing out and before we left for ts i changed the oil and there was about a bottle cap off metal shavings on the plug so we knew it wasnt gonna last long

#24 ·
Can you take a closeup picture of the top ring gap for us? It is less likey this happened to the second ring but if there was enough blowby long enough, I guess it could have happened to it too. I was at TS watching your truck on the dyno and saw the flame.....LOL

#27 ·
The top ring looks okay from what I can see, but it looks like there was a lot a blowby around it. What usually causes piston damage like you are seeing is the ring binding then breaking the ring lands above and/or below it. The lands breaking like that are 99% of the time caused by a ring binding caused by insufficient ring gap for the intended application. If you had enough blowby to heat up the second ring that much I guess the second ring could be the culprit as well even if the gap was right from the beginning.

#30 ·
new setup is carillo rods, elite .020 over coated pistons,total seal rings

:rockon:

I don't care what any one says, the fact that it held as good as it did to 1000+ HP with stock parts is awsome.

I'm talking about cylinder pressure between the rings. And the more pressure between them unseats the top ring.

This is why nitrous motors run different ring packages than boosted. So on and so forth. Just saying.
sure does look like the bottom ring got loaded with to much CP. If it would have had a better top ring all would have went smooth.

#31 ·
I can't wait to see how hard you can push that charger with that turbine wheel/housing combo! You should be able to drive the hell out of it! Good thing is , while I know your running a gate, if backpressure becomes an issue, I believe there's a 1.0, 1.10 and 1.25 housing available to help you tune it in. Good luck brotha!:ford:

By the way are you putting a billet intermediate and output in your trans too?

#35 ·
I can't wait to see how hard you can push that charger with that turbine wheel/housing combo! You should be able to drive the hell out of it! Good thing is , while I know your running a gate, if backpressure becomes an issue, I believe there's a 1.0, 1.10 and 1.25 housing available to help you tune it in. Good luck brotha!:ford:
By the way are you putting a billet intermediate and output in your trans too?
im gonna be running a 44mm gate this turbo is a s400 style frame gonna be very big but should move some air
billet input and billet low reverse hub are the only billet parts

I see two turbo's in the picture...

Your only running a 75mm turbo?
im only running the custom s475 with the .90 ar

Any guesses on the turbo in the background?? I would say 75/96/1.32
right but 1.10 ar housing for a durapoo

And probably be off by a mile LOL!
correct but with a 1.10ar

Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but what are you running for a fuel system (pump and injectors...) Thanks.
im running a fass 180 with elite 275cc injectors that i put 150% 6 hole nozzles on took alot of smoke away at low throotle and cruising and made spoolup 3 times as quick

#34 ·
Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but what are you running for a fuel system (pump and injectors...) Thanks.

#38 ·
Now imagine if you had a datalogger on your pan vacuum to see when it was time to take the motor out. Imagine being excited about getting 2 weekends out of it before you see the vacuum start to drop off of it. Think about adding another vent to the other valve cover. The less pressure that builds behind the top ring the better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.