Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

466 busting liners, ideas?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Darren127 
#1 ·
my buddy's pulling tractor keeps busting number 1 liner. a pump set at about 650cc's, 2.8 h2e w/ 2.4 plug, water inj, roller ported head and all the other supporting stuff. everything checks out beautiful. timing is on, no crank endplay, piston and liner protrusion check out. injectors and pump were checked out over the winter. any thoughts?

#2 ·
I'd start by seeing if you can wiggle the liner at all when it's seated in the block. It may not be fully supported by the block, allowing it to flex, and eventually fatigue.

Dave

#4 ·
no, cracking right down the side. see it did it once the middle of last year. then the other week he got his head worked over and made a big diff, but two runs in a row now it busted. its turning up better w/ the ported head so its like it makes the prob worse. he was thinkin about tryin another block next.

#5 ·
Is he running dry block, or head? Are there heat marks, where it cracks. Does he have egt on every cylinder. Might be a injector getting weak, the water injection might be straving that cylinder. I have saw ih's crack pistons when they are bored to 640, and not dry block. My buddies would crack number 1 piston, he switched to dry block and no more problems. When bored that big there is not much meat around the cylinders, so the liners will warp because of crappy air flow. just some things i have noticed.

#6 ·
his is still 466. injectors were just gone over. water on the other hand may be possible, not sure but am thinkin its one big nozzle. no block filling at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.