Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Brake Line rust thru

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  horses2 
#1 ·
On Saturday I noticed my brake pedal started to get lower and yesterday I hardly had any brakes. Master cyl was nearly empty but I couldn't see any leaks at the wheels.

Checked all the pads etc then noticed a small puddle under the fuel tank. It was brake fluid coming from between the tank and frame. Dropped the tank and sure enough the brake line was rusted through.

Does anyone know if there is a replacement available from Ford? I hate the generic ones from the box stores.

#2 ·
I've used Inlinetube.com for getting pre-bent lines for the older trucks. They have been excellent, and a complete hard line kit for the whole truck was less than $200, and in stainless at that.

You could also try Classictube.com. I have never dealt with them, and their catalog looks to have alot of errors, but they do show a listing for SD lines.

Dave

#3 ·
I took it to Royal Brass and Hose in Knoxville.....had them make up some lines for my Jeep a few years ago......they said sure....no problem.....but when I called today they said.... it will be Tuesday. I admit this thing is 12 feet long and crooked as a snake. So I just had them cut me a piece.......put the fitting on and flare the ends.....I can bend it myself and make it fit...$20.00

#4 ·
There's always a silver lining in every cloud.....I've been wanting to Hutch/Harpoon mod for awhile.....so since the tank is out anyway....git-r-done!

#5 ·
Same thing happened to me. I just got some fittings and a piece from Autozone. Bent it up and installed her with about $20.

#6 ·
I couldn't get one long enough without piecing together 3 pieces.....I guess that would be ok......but I just felt better about a one piece line. Anyway I pressure-bled the entire system with new fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.