Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How not to sell a motor..death of a 7.3

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  coryjones 
#1 ·
Heres the short vids I took with my camera all rolled into one, you can see how it goes from ok to bad to worse. It had no oil, we put in 10+ liters and took 3 batteries before it cranked fast enough to start. Enjoy. :doh:

#5 ·
They run awesome off oil, so awesome it will wind until it blows....you could only stop it by blocking off the air, that is if you were brave enough to get that close.

This is why they have an air shutoff rule in pulling! Blow the turbo and all the oil goes into the engine and this happens.

#6 ·
I don't think there was any saving that motor the damage was already done, I told the guy about the intercooler and he wasnt to worried about it. He figured this thing would fire right up like nothing so I couldn't do too much. I did turn it over by hand and it felt ok before he cranked it.

I know it sucked for him, me too actually but I couldn't help but laugh when he got out with his key in hand looking at me like wtf??? as it started to death rev. He had a laugh too aswell and couldn't believe what just happend.

#10 ·
At first I thought buddy was trying to give it the full pull clean out because I couldnt see him from where I was (he was a little ruff looking and figured its his way of doing things) but then I realized what was happening and I scrambled to unhook the batteries because they were on by the vise grip (cut by firefighters), then when that failed I knew what was happening and whipped out my camera for the conclusion. Thats why the video is partial at the end. It happened so fast and was very loud and intimidating to go near, tough to say what you would do until your the one there. Plugging the intake would have done it but it never crossed my mind at the time, as you can see before the last video there was cylinder damage before the end.

Also oil was pouring out the back of the motor and running down the passenger side up pipe, but this was new oil and not old so it was being pump out from somewhere.

#8 ·
Being a fanatic with these motors I couldn't help being a little sad watching this vid, I'm lowering my Ford flag to half staff now...:doh::D

#11 ·
Ouch. Is that the truck that you have in your avatar?

#13 ·
No I was just going to buy the motor, it only had 56,000 miles on it.

#14 ·
Didnt I give step by step instructions on how to check this motor so that wouldnt happen on your last thread?? Fwiw the motor is probably fine Ive had more then one do that to me and they turned out to be fine actually the only one not to turn ok was a CR cummins it trashed it. The oil dripping down the back of the motor is from it blowing it through the turbo and any oil on top of the motor in valley getting warm and running down the back as well. If you could still roll it by hand UNHOOK the IC boots and then crank it again to see if it starts and runs as smooth as it did the first couple times you had it running it would probably be ok. and most of your cranking problems were from low voltage. Im not trying to be an ass but one of my busineses is selling wrecked repairables so I deal with that alot

#15 ·
Yes you did give the instructions thanks, but like I said this guy was keen to show me this thing the way it was and what can I do as its his to do with. I did do like you suggested and cranked it by hand with a ratchet, and the cranking was solved after changing one dead battery. You could be right about it being ok however the amount of smoke coming out the oil filler and the fact it sat without any oil for nearly 3 years had me wondering what the inside looked like with the oil it was missing. When I got there and he popped the hood I told him I would never give him 2 grand for the condition of the motor based on the outside appearance, it look very weathered and beat for a low mile motor. I am very hesitant because it gave me flash backs to what my motor sounded like, and I know what it looked like inside.

#16 ·
Well have to say..he called the ball on that one.

It was hard to crank cause of the 3 qts of oil on the cylinders..
Which it pushed out into the exhuast, then one it reved the turbo was able to pull an nice mist of oil out of the ic and fuel the fire. A good instructional video though....

So you back to building your block?

#17 ·
It was slow to crank because of the battery the guy pulled from his other truck was sitting for some time and was pretty low, in the third or so vid he put his DD battery in and then it cranked much harder. With that said there for sure was plenty of oil inside to go around :doh:

I am bummed about the situation really, I dont want to build a turd or buy one fwiw. Not sure what to do at this point. If injectors weren't so much I would probably finish my motor now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.