Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Turbo died

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Copperhead 
#1 ·
Turbo took a crap other day, can wiggle the shaft quit a bit. whats the best place to buy a turbo for cheap. Not a lot of money to spare right now and need to get the truck running again soon. Or can they be rebuilt by a DIYer? I havent taken it off yet or looked to close at it. just happend yesterday and had it trailerd home. I can get pics or video if anybody needs to see more.

#3 ·
Didn't Swamps have a write-up on rebuilding one?

#5 ·
#7 ·
Googled it.

#8 ·
june dp mag did a rebuild on one i just yesterday got mine put back on from rebuilding it the rebuild took no time the pita was pulling it but i got my kit through beans it came to $139 shipped and they have A+++ customer service thanks bdp

#9 ·
cool. so i should be able to get a rebuild kit, and a new impeller in case this one is shot from rubbing the housing. (though im not sure how much it might have rubbed, i could here it when i started the last few times to move it and load it)

#14 ·
Just my opinion but I would get a re man or bring it in somewhere to get rebuilt because the shaft is broken there could be damage to the center section or any other part for that matter would suck to put new parts in it ,put it back together and it leaks or grenades on you.

How long did you run the truck after the turbo blew?

I myself just went through this same kinda thing but the shaft wasn,t broken LOL rebuilt my turbo all looked good put it back on and two days later it was shot again I brought it in to a local turbo guy and he rebuilt it with a warranty for $50 bucks more than what the rebuild kit cost.

#15 ·
got it off, them last 2 ped bolts in the back are a real PITA. i ran it for i would gues 10 miles after it blew to get were i was going. (was already 40 from home) then intake fins are bent some and the exhust side is trashed. no to find a diff turbo or a place near by to rebuild it. the Swamps removel guide was very handy today. all the way down to the band aids and skinned knuckels.

#16 ·
There are a few stock turbos for sale on the forum or you could just buy a complete reman unit. It sounds like your turbo is completely trashed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.