Turbo off a 3208 cat motor? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke - Aftermarket & Performance
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 PM
ford7.3sd
Big Sky Groomer Op.
Member's Gallery

Turbo off a 3208 cat motor?

Could you use one on a 7.3? As an up grade for a turbo? It's the 251 HP 3208 motor..
DIY intake, Tuned by deoblo,gauges(boost,trans,piro), 5 inch MBRP,4 inch superlift and 37 inch ss m16s and sportin the 05 headlights.

E-99 F-250SD lariat SC,SB 4X4.
lots of dents a plow, in need of some love.

95 Chubby Blazer 4X4... pile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Myles_S
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Turbo off a 3208 cat motor?

Anything can be done with enough custom fab work

Would i do it? No. How many guys do you know making 450, 500, or more HP on a turbo of a 3208 cat?

Yeah it'd be a cool project i couldnt see it justifying the work it would take rahter than just having a turbo that has a proven track record, 38r, 42r, H2e, Etc...
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 PM
moore20017.3
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles_S View Post
Anything can be done with enough custom fab work

Would i do it? No. How many guys do you know making 450, 500, or more HP on a turbo of a 3208 cat?

Yeah it'd be a cool project i couldnt see it justifying the work it would take rahter than just having a turbo that has a proven track record, 38r, 42r, H2e, Etc...
I have tried a few things out of the norm with good results.

I am not familiar with the charger used on a 3208. Give us a part # or some specs.

FWIW mine is designed for a 12.1L volvo engine and it works great.

Out of those listed above, the only one designed for a 7.3 (or a v-8 for that matter) is the 38r.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Myles_S
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore20017.3 View Post
I have tried a few things out of the norm with good results.

I am not familiar with the charger used on a 3208. Give us a part # or some specs.

FWIW mine is designed for a 12.1L volvo engine and it works great.

Out of those listed above, the only one designed for a 7.3 (or a v-8 for that matter) is the 38r.
I wasnt saying it couldnt be done and if it was done it wouldnt be reliable. It'd be bad ass i think, to say my turbo came of a bulldozer or something similiar and make 400ish HP.

Just saying you see quite a few threads over things like this but thats about as far as they go, Just asking if it can be done.

Name 5 people that have custom custom setups like the OP is trying to acheive
Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 PM
RockinJW
HP Junky
Member's Gallery

The QSSB, GQSSB, and KASB we sell here at WOP were all designed for use on the 7.3L
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 AM
moore20017.3
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I wasnt saying it couldnt be done and if it was done it wouldnt be reliable. It'd be bad ass i think, to say my turbo came of a bulldozer or something similiar and make 400ish HP.

Just saying you see quite a few threads over things like this but thats about as far as they go, Just asking if it can be done.

If it was not for Hypermax there would be no H2E on a 7.3...they were old turbos that were found to work well with it.

Same goes for the WOP stuff stated above, they took an existing charger (not designed for a 7.3) and through testing, research and refining made it what it is today. a great match for the motor.

You will never know until you try.

To the OP, try to get some specs of the turbo (or just wheel sizes and a/r) and we can help you out.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:26 AM
moore20017.3
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Lets see....

Everyone running a GT42 ( i personally know 4-5 running these)
Everyone running a GT45 (I am, and I know another running my exact setup...and a few more)
Everyone running an S400 (Probably 40-50)
Everyone running an S300 (IDK, but a few)

What type of injectors and turbo setup are you running. You may be able to tell me, and others, what to try out?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 AM
motoxracer42
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

the exhaust housing on that turbo has two inlets for the up pipes. you would have to do alot of work and it wouldnt be worth it. i would get one that is proven on your truck.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Donnief
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Turbochargers were designed for diesel ships and locomotives in the 20s. Wanna tell me how one of these specific designed things ended up on my production pick up truck?

As stated above , it doesnt matter what the turbo was built or "designed" for it could work. Some specs is what you need to know. As Moore stated above mainly wheel size and a/r will tell what the turbocharger is capable of.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 AM
moore20017.3
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxracer42 View Post
the exhaust housing on that turbo has two inlets for the up pipes. you would have to do alot of work and it wouldnt be worth it. i would get one that is proven on your truck.
Do you have a pic of one to attach, I can't find any info for the OP. I do not even know the displacement or rpm range of the 3208....that will tell you some.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Donnief
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Looks like all the HP ratings were at 2800 rpm , for the 3208n/a 3208t and 3208t/a
Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 AM
motoxracer42
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Do you have a pic of one to attach, I can't find any info for the OP. I do not even know the displacement or rpm range of the 3208....that will tell you some.
i have one out at my ranch. i found a pic online though.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Donnief
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I couldnt find much about the turbo , other than this.

Early 3208 engines used a Schwitzer turbo that required a riser that bolted to the block and the turbo then bolted to the riser (see Figure 17). This riser required ports for oil flow for the turbo and added an additional surface that could potentially have a leak. It sat higher and required more hood clearance. Air Research designed a turbo specific to the 3208 that mounted directly to the block and sat lower down into the valley (see Figure 18). Again the serial number and arrangement number will tell you which one that you have. They do not interchange without making a lot of modifications.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 AM
CtG
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

For what its worth... The first turbo put on a production vehicle was a specially designed number by Garrett contracted by Oldsmobile for their F-85 Turbo-Jetfire 215. Definitely not a Loco, Submarine, or "Turbo-Supercharged" Allison V12.

Heh.

Remind me, the 3208 was what? 9.0L I believe? And spun to what? 2500 RPM? Would that pulled out to 3500RPM on a 7.3L make for any improvement in airflow? RPM makes a big difference.

02 Excursion 4x4 PSD: 4" DP-back w/ Aero-Turbine, Larry's Black Box
Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 AM
moore20017.3
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Not a very good choice by the design of the turbine inlet....like stated above.

Probably not designed to handle much pressure ratio.....based on the 3208 being indirect inject.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Dzchey21
WWDD
Member's Gallery

right the turbo is akward too, its just massive in size for the inducer size just wouldnt be worth it, Now if you could find a charger off of a c11/c13 for cheap you might be on to something
Old 06-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Myles_S
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Lets see....

Everyone running a GT42 ( i personally know 4-5 running these)
Everyone running a GT45 (I am, and I know another running my exact setup...and a few more)
Everyone running an S400 (Probably 40-50)
Everyone running an S300 (IDK, but a few)

What type of injectors and turbo setup are you running. You may be able to tell me, and others, what to try out?

I wasn't bashing you or calling you out or anything, no need to get worked up bud. Yes I know none of the above were actually designed for the 7.3 other than the 38r but when we think turbos, we think those.

What I meant was..turbos of cats (like OP), or tractors, big fleet trucks, things like that. The "outside the box" turbo setups that we all aren't used to commonly seeing on our trucks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying something like that out, I'm making a comment off of factual evidence I have seen from here on the inter-web. If I had the time and money to Jack around with things like this, would I try it? You bet your ass I would.

And btw, I have stock sticks AND stock turbo, not because I'm stupid and couldn't properly match up a combo, but because I don't have the money to do it.

Give me your checkbook and I'll make my truck go fast, I promise.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
moore20017.3
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I wasn't bashing you or calling you out or anything, no need to get worked up bud. Yes I know none of the above were actually designed for the 7.3 other than the 38r but when we think turbos, we think those.

What I meant was..turbos of cats (like OP), or tractors, big fleet trucks, things like that. The "outside the box" turbo setups that we all aren't used to commonly seeing on our trucks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying something like that out, I'm making a comment off of factual evidence I have seen from here on the inter-web. If I had the time and money to Jack around with things like this, would I try it? You bet your ass I would.

And btw, I have stock sticks AND stock turbo, not because I'm stupid and couldn't properly match up a combo, but because I don't have the money to do it.

Give me your checkbook and I'll make my truck go fast, I promise.
No problem guy, I just misunderstood you to be a smart azz...my bad.

I see a lot of people giving injector and turbo advice that don't know chit about it and it is a little irritating.

We are in the same boat....my first setup was a $350 ebay GT45 and 238/100 injectors. With the springs, prods and tuning I had less than $3500 in a setup that dynoed 540rwhp.

There is a lot of things you can for less money, but it aint gonna be a kit.

If I had money I would have built motor, bigg injectors and twins.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM
moore20017.3
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I have been wanting to look at the newer acert charger options.

Anyone looked at these in detail?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
HotRodTractor
HRT Performance
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Actually that is where some of the S400s being run are being found.... go right to the big truck junkyard and go shopping. They are certainly not all going to work well for a 7.3L PSD, but there are readily available combinations that have been massed produced that can work pretty well. The Holset H2E is a perfect example - the one being run on the PSD from Hypermax is basically right off an L10 Cummins. The same thing goes for the Garrett chargers - Andy's is right off a Volvo.
1968 Chevy - 5.9

Videos Pictures
Old 07-02-2010, 04:29 AM
ford7.3sd
Big Sky Groomer Op.
Member's Gallery

thank you guys for all the info. it was an idea i had because we have 3 or 4 old junk LMC snowcats with the 3208 motor in them. I thought the turbo on that was more of a common one, not custom to the motor. i knew it had the goofy exhaust housing, but didn't know if there where other housings on the market to make that one have a standard housing.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Suns_PSD
Junior Mint
Member's Gallery

The 3208 was a 200 hp 9 liter engine. What you would find is not enough air w/ too loose of a turbine housing. It's just a bad fit.

Lots of large big rig turbos can be bought for $50 at a junkyard that are pretty good fits they are just hard to spool because the turbine was designed for 15 liter engines.

I see these guys spending $3K for a primary turbo in a compound set up which is just silly. Any huge big rig turbo will work just fine for this application and can be had for nothing.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Moulder
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

What would be some good junk yard turbos to look into for a twin turbo set-up? It will be awhile before I get my p-pumped Powerstroke running but I would like to start looking for some turbos. With the pump taking up the valley, standard mounting isn't going to happen. My pump isn't set up for much fuel at the moment, it only has 10mm plungers in it. But I have added 5k governer springs and an adjustible fuel plate. I also don't have injectors for it at this time. I plan on running the stock short block, with balanced bottom end, have the forged rods cryoed polished, and shot peened, add valve springs and better pushrods. My plan is to tune the truck while it has less fuel and then have pump work done. Add billet rods, aftermarket pistons, bigger injectors, and a cam. This truck is going to be a sled puller.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 272
!!!PainTrain!!!, 'cb', 00PSD, 02BigD, 03-blue-Powerstroke, 03_PSD, 04smokeman, 16yrenthusiest, 2000wa250, 2006nytro, 6.0beau, 73smoker, 96strokerbp, 97strokeonit, 99oilburner, a5t1, abbottfarms, ADubDiesel, aklefty, All Jacked Up, All Stroked OUT, AMB, apollyon9515, baddzl, BambiBasher, Big Papa 03 dually, BIG-T, bigbadford01, bigjake0524, bigo, bigred2001, bigrngyj, BigTXForddiesel, bill4d, black7.3, bockstroker, boostaddict, brahum, brianb7.3, Brosten, bruce51d, bryan rittenhouse, Buford-61, Calico5, canister, CAT, Cat00, chainfeed, CHevDog1, Choupique108, cj45lc, clayc_989, cluster007, cntryguy23, co04cobra, Commonrailkiller, cool_hand_luke, cordovaex, cota, Country, countryboyz95, cowboy_dan, Crazzy8, Critical, CT SMOKER, CtG, dakotastroker, dan_k, darrell717, davey99ps, deiter5262, diesel5480, Dieselfever, Dieselgeek, Diesel_Dust, ditch_dawg, dixieland-diesels, DJM, Donnief, dslfumes, Dustin F2504x4, Duzitall, Dzchey21, Eford00, erniesshop, ExtremeFord4x4, F-127, farmall99, fastbarryracing, fastfish1967, fbilly420, ford7.3sd, Fordfreak4life, fordguy64, fordmasterdieseltech, fordpower2008, FordSuperDuty05, FourByFord, gasgrunt88, genuineford, Goatwrangler, golfer, Goose1995, groomzybanshe, Guswut, Hassler Diesel, haulin99sdp, Haz-Matt, highfive, HotRodTractor, ihackenberg1086, INTERNATIONAL7.3, INTPSTROKE96, ironworker25, J HO 22, j440, jawsfx4, JCart, jdc753, jeaton, jimdawg185, jkiser96, Jngreen, joebob3093, johndeereman, JonFord, Jordy53, Justblowin'smoke, jvc1990, Kampy, kfluke, Kgaeta92, kramarj, krankin, kupaa, LaJ10, leisurlee, lildevil02, liljon4342, Luke909, madmaxz, mattr66, mbruce, mclean, mean7.3, merican, micky_blue, MilehighEX, MILFORD, Millerfarms, Monstar, montana350, moore20017.3, morefuel, motoxracer42, Moulder, Myles_S, nastystroke04, NEokcTERROR, NH OIL BURNER, nielsencod, NRHX2009, NWPAStroker, NyCowboy87, Ohnny101, oldschool, Ole, olsmokey, oneofakindSD, outlaw1228, outlaw5.0, pcarter6, pdizzleinmt, Petro, Phiber Optik, philzman, PHPDiesel, Pipewhiner, pontiacross, Powerjoke4life, Powersmokesd, Powerstoke_Fan, powerstroke cowboy, PSDfan99, psdmike, pstroke96, ramkiller97, rancher76, RC4WD, RCPro87, red95psd, RIStroker2000, RLB88, Rob02F350, RockinJW, rocksam, Rockyardjo, Ron's power stroke, roughneck0913, rpm-inc, RSieck, Rusty 7.3, salprofish, sbrofford, scheidt27, sethc24, SFP12valve, sideshow, SirStrokeAlot, Slated4Greatness, SLO DZL, smokin6.0psd, smokinstroker92, smokyred, sniper_101, SootRoller, Specializeddieselnw, speeddemon31176, stackedstroker, Stacks92, STILLKICKIN_F250, streetsoldier, Stroke00, Stroken7.3, strokin'_tatsch, strokin533, strokinout, Suns_PSD, SuperDutyDSG, svnmpwr, SZYD, TARM, tattoocharlie, tdevinejr, TheFinalStroke, theSLEEPER, Tim @ P.I.S., tneibling, Tom S, tpull3, Trapper, treyloco, trolling2, ttford07, tughill283, TxFire, TXsmoker, Tygen1, Tyson42, UNCOOL, urbandiesel, userma3648, Utah7.3, V-Ref, vrcarrano, wgoebel78, white7.3, whitjo, whytry, Wickky, wint, wjamesm, worm5932, wriott, youngPSD, yzdude250f, z_racing14