Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Turbo off a 3208 cat motor?

13K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Moulder 
#1 ·
Could you use one on a 7.3? As an up grade for a turbo? It's the 251 HP 3208 motor..

#2 ·
Anything can be done with enough custom fab work

Would i do it? No. How many guys do you know making 450, 500, or more HP on a turbo of a 3208 cat?

Yeah it'd be a cool project i couldnt see it justifying the work it would take rahter than just having a turbo that has a proven track record, 38r, 42r, H2e, Etc...

#3 ·
I have tried a few things out of the norm with good results.

I am not familiar with the charger used on a 3208. Give us a part # or some specs.

FWIW mine is designed for a 12.1L volvo engine and it works great.

Out of those listed above, the only one designed for a 7.3 (or a v-8 for that matter) is the 38r.

#9 ·
Turbochargers were designed for diesel ships and locomotives in the 20s. Wanna tell me how one of these specific designed things ended up on my production pick up truck?

As stated above , it doesnt matter what the turbo was built or "designed" for it could work. Some specs is what you need to know. As Moore stated above mainly wheel size and a/r will tell what the turbocharger is capable of.

#13 ·
I couldnt find much about the turbo , other than this.

Early 3208 engines used a Schwitzer turbo that required a riser that bolted to the block and the turbo then bolted to the riser (see Figure 17). This riser required ports for oil flow for the turbo and added an additional surface that could potentially have a leak. It sat higher and required more hood clearance. Air Research designed a turbo specific to the 3208 that mounted directly to the block and sat lower down into the valley (see Figure 18). Again the serial number and arrangement number will tell you which one that you have. They do not interchange without making a lot of modifications.

#14 ·
For what its worth... The first turbo put on a production vehicle was a specially designed number by Garrett contracted by Oldsmobile for their F-85 Turbo-Jetfire 215. Definitely not a Loco, Submarine, or "Turbo-Supercharged" Allison V12.

Heh.

Remind me, the 3208 was what? 9.0L I believe? And spun to what? 2500 RPM? Would that pulled out to 3500RPM on a 7.3L make for any improvement in airflow? RPM makes a big difference.

#21 ·
thank you guys for all the info. it was an idea i had because we have 3 or 4 old junk LMC snowcats with the 3208 motor in them. I thought the turbo on that was more of a common one, not custom to the motor. i knew it had the goofy exhaust housing, but didn't know if there where other housings on the market to make that one have a standard housing.

#22 ·
The 3208 was a 200 hp 9 liter engine. What you would find is not enough air w/ too loose of a turbine housing. It's just a bad fit.

Lots of large big rig turbos can be bought for $50 at a junkyard that are pretty good fits they are just hard to spool because the turbine was designed for 15 liter engines.

I see these guys spending $3K for a primary turbo in a compound set up which is just silly. Any huge big rig turbo will work just fine for this application and can be had for nothing.

#23 ·
What would be some good junk yard turbos to look into for a twin turbo set-up? It will be awhile before I get my p-pumped Powerstroke running but I would like to start looking for some turbos. With the pump taking up the valley, standard mounting isn't going to happen. My pump isn't set up for much fuel at the moment, it only has 10mm plungers in it. But I have added 5k governer springs and an adjustible fuel plate. I also don't have injectors for it at this time. I plan on running the stock short block, with balanced bottom end, have the forged rods cryoed polished, and shot peened, add valve springs and better pushrods. My plan is to tune the truck while it has less fuel and then have pump work done. Add billet rods, aftermarket pistons, bigger injectors, and a cam. This truck is going to be a sled puller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.