Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Carnage Pics

4K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  F-250-Owner 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is posted in the right place, but anywho-

Going down the highway on the way to Maine Friday....get a vibration, slow down, vibration gets worse.....bang, bang, bang, bang....tread separated at about 70mph.....bang, bang, bang, bang....tread finally came off (and almost took out the two cars in our convoy behind me).

Lotta damage for about 10 seconds of pucker. Never seen this happen on anything but a retread. These were BFG ATs 285/75/r16s that were pretty far gone. Good thing was the tire held pressure a few miles to the nearest exit.

Just got back and haven't checked my insurance yet, but believe I have comprehensive that would cover this. If not, would this be a complete bed replacement?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
De Ja Vu bud. The same thing happened to me on my OBS. I had my spare on and it was a BFG KM(ALL TERRAIN) right rear. Some loud noises at 70 and the tire never deflated. Just lost the tread. Took out the fender support brackets and pulled the tail pipe till it was kinked shut. Didn't take to long for the truck to get hot. The bed was damaged also. That was about 2 months ago maybe.

#5 ·
bummer, what did the insurance estimate the damage at?

#14 ·
Didn't call yet.

Was it a new BFG or a treadwright recap
It had only a little life left, but not a recap that I know of. Never seen a recap of only the center tread.

Is that a nail in the pic or just where the rubber broke off?
No nail, tire had air in it until I got home and pulled the valve stem.

talk to a company that put replacement beds on, like utility beds and stuff theyre constantly selling factory beds off for awesome prices
Good idea, thanks.

#6 ·
Was it a new BFG or a treadwright recap

#7 ·
There was a thread exactly like this on FTE a couple weeks ago. He was running BFG's also...

#8 ·
Is that a nail in the pic or just where the rubber broke off?

#10 ·
talk to a company that put replacement beds on, like utility beds and stuff theyre constantly selling factory beds off for awesome prices

#12 ·
:whs:

I got my 2010 dually bed for about the same price as most people get a 2010 tailgate for.

#11 ·
this happened to me when i had my 99 sd but i was running bfg mud terrains and i was doing about 85 it was my front driver side tire, completely ripped my fender off.

#13 ·
Just to give you a heads up. I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago on my truck except the tire blew out. Tires were pretty new and had no reason to come apart like that. I email BFG and told them what happened, I received a phone call the next day telling me to take the tires to Discount.

Had Discount remove the tire from the rim and send it off. About a week later I got another phone call saying they inspected the tire and found no reason for the tire to come apart like that.

I was then told that if I had not called my insurance company to take the truck to two body shops, my choice and get a quote to have the bed fixed and that BFG would send me a check to cover the amount.

Just to give you some other options on something else to do before you call your insurance company.

#17 ·
01Platinums post seems like the plan. Give them a chance to make it right.

BTW: I am moving this thread to General Area, thanks for the heads up on the tires.

#18 ·
Had a BFG AT come apart on a work truck (van) 4-5 years ago. beat the crap out of the rear sheet metal . Tire place blamed it on unger inflation and a bunch of other bs . Never had good luck with them .

#19 ·
WOW that sucks! ......Im running Bfg's.....:lookaround:

#20 ·
Man, thats rough... I'd def check with BFG before I made a claim on my insurance.

The bedside can be replaced, without having to put a completely different bed on, at least from your pics. I've helped replace several on many different types of trucks, and they all work the same way - cut spot welds, pull oll bedside, straighten/replace brackets and braces, and weld/panel bond (seen it done both ways) the new skin back in place. Paint, and you're all done.

-that would be the condensed version, lol

Anyway, at least you or anyone else didnt get hurt.

#21 ·
We had that happen to one of our service trucks one night but it was a Goodyear wrangler MTR. We were down in the pit at one of the coal mines and it was muddy as all hell. Heard a weird thumping noise but we just ignored it (it was a pos truck and made all kinds of noises anyways) and it eventually went away. Didn't know till we drove it an hour back to town and washed it off. It was missing out a foot and a half piece of tread. It still held air long enough to make it to our shop.

#22 ·
Was considering BFG AT's went with Michelin LTX M&S 2's E Load The ride is smoooth sorry about your luck

#23 ·
I'm wondering if the fact that these are load range D could have been part of the problem? I never hauled much, but just got it 4000 miles ago and don't know the history.

I just found out my state inspection just started requiring the correct load rating for the vehicle. They are failing people with Ds on these trucks.

#24 ·
Man makes me want to take my bfg at's off. They only got 10k on them. 12ply E's 285/75R16, any offers? I haven't liked them since i put them on honestly. Had Cooper stt's on before(almost identical to the old mtr's) and it rode/drove much better. I've balanced and rotated them several times still don't drive for ####.

#26 ·
***Update***

Thanks to 01Platinum I put an email into BFG/Michelin and they responded "It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction." and left a number to call. Been playing phone tag since but will let everybody know what happens.

Updates to follow.

#27 ·
I had a the front drivers side tire peel on me took out the fender, running board and IDM harness. The insurance paid for everything except the tire.

#29 ·
I had a BFG commercial TA do exactly the same thing a few months ago. Tore up my bed as well. Tire only had ~23k miles on it. It went from vibration due to delamination to blowout almost immediately - not enough time to get stopped (plus I was on 295 in DC traffic). It was on my '94 F250 4x4 and never saw a terribly heavy load (was empty when it blew and had just checked tire pressure - all good at 80psi). Most I ever tow is an enclosed motorcycle trailer - probably 5k lbs absolute max, more likely 3k lbs (depending on how much I put in it - trailer is 2k empty).

I'm thinking BFG had a defective run of tires and itsn't fessing up to it. Won't be buying from them again if I can help it.

#30 ·
I had the same thing happen going down a mountain in PA, BFG's that came on my truck.. they were AT's. mine looked like it had a zipper in the side wall right where the tread started.... didnt do any damage to my truck, so i changed it, and attempted to have it covered at my dealership.... i had paid for road hazard insurance on the tires... they denied the claim saying that the tires were not the stock size for my truck.... i had only driven it off their lot a week prior, so they got the 400 bucks for my road hazard insurance....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.