Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

PITA #2

5K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  907DAVE 
#1 ·
2000 f350, started out with exhaust, intake, modded idm then we put used stage 2 single shots and a bdp chip. Everything went ok on the swap except somehow i managed to goober up the fuel side inj O-ring, replaced it and went on. The truck fired up ran and drove fine. Owner came and picked it up, it started a little hard but it only had 20 miles on it so i didnt think twice. The owner drove 150+ miles home and complained it was still starting hard.... great:doh:. I was sure we had a hpo problem and cut another O-ring, i was wrong. When it arrived back at the shop i installed mech fuel pressure and hpo gauges. fuel pressure was up and while cranking hpo shot up to 2500-3000+ psi.... hmm interesting. I did a buzz test and they all buzzed strong. I consulted casserly, and HRT both thought that since the injectors were used they could have a problem so i pulled them and sent them back to casserly for a check up. He put the in the flow bench and found nothing wrong, great. I get them back and installed friday night and the same problems continue, except now it wont start at all. I swapped pcm and cps just to eliminate those as problems. engine still builds icp, fuel pressure, inj's buzz good and cranks over good. truck has everything it needs to fire and it wont even spudder, no smoke out hte exhaust... nothing.

any ideas? between these two trucks im about to pull all my hair out, ive never had this many problems.

See less See more
#4 ·
#13 ·
It passes a buzz test so i have not swapped it. Is there any way for it to pass a buzz test but not get the proper signal from the PCM to fire the injectors?

I would check fuel pressure right at the heads to make sure there is not any issue with the fuel bowl standpipe and the check valves/ screens in the fuel line fitting in the head. If the rig has a stock fuel system pull the plug at the end of the head and screw in a 1/8 mnpt fitting for your pressure tester.

Another thing would be to pull a valve cover and check and see if there is oil coming from the injector oil spout. This is an easy way to verify the injector is being commanded on while cranking.

How are your battery volts while cranking?
i have not checked fuel pressure in the heads on this truck, there is fuel to the bowl so i ASSumed there was fuel pressure in the heads. I will check actual fuel pressure in teh heads tomorrow. I have not checked the injectors to see if they are squirting oil, but i would guess not since its building that kind of oil pressure while cranking. Battery voltage is good.

#12 ·
I would check fuel pressure right at the heads to make sure there is not any issue with the fuel bowl standpipe and the check valves/ screens in the fuel line fitting in the head. If the rig has a stock fuel system pull the plug at the end of the head and screw in a 1/8 mnpt fitting for your pressure tester.

Another thing would be to pull a valve cover and check and see if there is oil coming from the injector oil spout. This is an easy way to verify the injector is being commanded on while cranking.

How are your battery volts while cranking?

#16 ·
I would check the fuel bowl first, if everything check out there, put a gauge on the heads to make sure there getting fuel. Check all the fuses for sh!tz and giggles. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, I gather from what I have read, the truck has everything it needs to fire, but it won't, That points to something electrical in my book. Did you replace the UVCH and gasket? Check the main wiring harness, I had two wire rub together to the point they shorted out, took down a whole bank. Might be worth a shot.

#18 ·
bump, I need to get my truck running again!

#23 ·
A few things come to mind Luke:
Pull the chip if you haven't already,
check the fuses and relays,
check for any abnormal PIDs, like EOT maxed out low,
check the main engine harness connector for any pushed out or corroded pins.

Dave

#27 ·
im going to triple check fuses, chip is out and has been through out the trouble shooting. No codes, or anything like that.

No white smoke, I agree with Dave, check fuel pressure. ICP is there, IDM fires, only thing left is fuel.

Good luck!
I have not checked fp yet, but it does have flow to the fuel bowl. I will check that and pull a valve cover in the morning to see if oil is coming out the inj's.

#29 ·
Is the PCM seeing the HPOP that the mechnical gauge is?

#30 ·
i did not look at that Tom, however i did unplug the ICP sensor and it still built pressure. If the sensor is bad it will start even when unplugged due to it going into a default setting in the PCM. Im leaving work now to go home and work on the 2 train wrecks, hopefully my stage 2's come in today and i will be able to take a break and work on my own junk :D

#32 ·
checked all fuses, relays etc... everything is good. pulled the valve cover and watched the spouts while the engine was being cranked, no oil was coming out. threw a fuel pressure gauge on and its got fuel pressure. Next step is to break out the O scope, find the fdcs signal wire and see if the IDM is recieving a signal from the PCM. *bangs head on wall*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.