Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

MMA Trainning.....

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jimdawg185 
#1 ·
Well, in the early 90's I was a boxer. I was trained by Buster Mathis Sr. I loved it, fell away and now am really wanting to get back into it. But, boxing is not as much fun as MMA. So, my question is, Boxing was almost free, all I had to pay for back then was my athletic commission license fee, the MMA training is not. With all the equipment, and a hefty monthly fee I am looking at some coin to get rolling. So MMA guy's, is it worth the coin, or should I stick to lifting and hitting the heavy bag. This would be purely for athletic conditioning to stay healthy and for the fun of fighting.

#2 ·
Look around at different schools in your area. You don't have to do strictly MMA, especially if you don't plan to compete. Try Jiu-Jitsu or another martial art. The biggest thing is finding a school with an instructor you like, and a curriculum you'll enjoy.

#3 ·
yea :whs: jiu-jitsu is good too, GREAT cardio, and just for example reason, find a buddy and yall roll around and try to choke each other out, bet your sucking wind in 3 minutes or less

#4 ·
I really enjoy Jiu Jitsu. I try to compete as much as often. Unfortunately MMA is more of a "classier" fight sport. It takes way more money than boxing. I think its a better overall workout. I pay $50 a month to train with a certified brown belt in jiu jitsu, and a muy thai instructor. He does it for fun and the teaching experience to add to his black belt. You might try going to some of your bigger schools and see if some of the higher students aren't doing schools on the side.

#5 ·
From a purely monetary standpoint, Id stick with boxing its cheaper, you dont get ringworm, and if you do fight at any competitive level the $ is much better. No UFC fighter has even had a $1million payout. Chuck Liddel got paid $500k two weeks ago and thats about the limit.

On the other hand when Gene Tunney beat Jack Dempsey in (get this) 1927!!! he was given a check for 1 million dollars.

Just for an comparison Floyd Mayweather earned $40 million dollars for fighting Mosely and then another estimated $20 million from sponsors. Even an undercard fights at most PPV fights will make more than the biggest UFC stuff.

I wrestled in college and poured my heart soul into it and Ive got nothing really to show for it accept a knee reconstruction and back operations. If I could do it over I know which one Id do.

#9 ·
From a purely monetary standpoint, Id stick with boxing its cheaper, you dont get ringworm, and if you do fight at any competitive level the $ is much better. No UFC fighter has even had a $1million payout. Chuck Liddel got paid $500k two weeks ago and thats about the limit.
Actually sir...Pitbull Arlovski got paid 1.5mil to fight Fedor even though he lost that fight by getting his face plowed into a canvas, his eyes stayed open though but noone was home. Fedor got paid his usual 400k for that bout.

OP...I hope you found what you were looking for since posting this (old ass thread i know). I personally train (in between injuries) in BJJ under Robson Moura and Thai Boxing. I am also been blessed with being stationed in Tampa which is a bliss for MMA junkies because CENTCOM has a UN exchange program. For instance, i dug up a Ukrainian Spetznaz colonel who is a Master of Sports of *****/Combat *****. Translation= free ***** training from an authentic source.

#6 ·
I am to old to start over, but I will always be a boxer at heart. I couldn't drop my hands if I wanted to, every time I do I hear Buster screaming at me and I love it.
I just am a little taken by how much they charge, it is almost a car payment. But I also live in a small town and there are only a handful of places, so low competition leads to high demand and then high prices.

#7 ·
if your a boxer by nature then most likely your weak point is on the ground. i would try jujitsu or a type of submission wrestling to counter it. jujitsu is also a great workout. you may also get lucky and if the gym you join doesnt have a boxing instructor they may let you teach and offset your cost for the jujitsu class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.