Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Hybrids vs. B-codes

5K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Powerstroked162 
#1 ·
We all know that hybrids require less HPO due to lower injection rates etc..

I don't know a whOle lot about big B-codes other than they require more oil, generally a healthy fuel system etc..

Basically this is my question..why doesn't everybody just run hybrids? There generally cheaper & require less performance mods to get eerything out of them. Now other than "wanting to be different" to those of you running them, how do they differ from hybrids?

Hybrids are split shot b-codes are single correct?

Are b-codes better for sled pullers whereas hybrids are better for towing? Vice versa, etc...?

Basically I'm just wondering what would make one choose a bcode over a hybrid or vice versa?

If I'm turning over old dirt please just point me to a thread where this was all discussed.
Thanks

#3 ·
Yes I tried searching but couldn't find anything quite like I'm looking for.

As I mentioned toward the bottom of m post, if there's a 12 page thread over this just post up the link for me and I'll start reading..

I'm doing a motor build soon and just looking for info

#9 ·
Back in the day before guys started to run really huge nozzles, B-codes most certainly made more hp than hybrids.

Honestly going from like a standard Mini-Me style hybrid (238/30) to B-codes and BO often resulted in another 100 rwhp. Adding oil to the MMs would give a small boost in power but no where near 100 hp.

Then as the nozzle flow rate increased getting the oil into and out of the injector became more and more of a problem. The fact that Hybrids can flow an equal amount of #2 while flowing significantly less oil became an advantage.

If you aren't running big oil and you need 440 hp just get some MM style hybrids.

If you have BO and only want 500 hp I'd still prefer B-codes.

If you are going bigger (say 200% nozzles) I'd literally just buy whatever was inexpensive in the classifieds. The B codes seem to make more low/ mid power. The hybrids will make more top end hp.

If I was buying big and new I'd only consider Hybrids.

#11 ·
The B codes seem to make more low/ mid power. The hybrids will make more top end hp.
Don't hybrids already make more than enough low and mid range power to tear up any block and bottom end setup? If true, what's the benefit of more in that area? I was always under the impression we were already maxed in these area with our engines given an all out max power goal regardless of which of the two builds of injectors were used? From reading all the back and forth on this it would seem the only area open to making more power is up top and increasing that top end rpm range limit. Obviously this is going off only what I have read right or wrong as it may be.

#14 ·
I see where you are coming from; I was talking about ultimate max power setups not DDs. But speaking of that isn't what you are speaking of more to do with the turbo etc than the injector type? I would think B codes too would pickup large increases in throttle response etc as well with 10 psi boost right off idle. I honestly am not trying to debate here, as for one, I do not have the knowledge or experience to stand on. Trying to understand and learn more than anything. I keep hearing how we have no issues making low mid power but we are maxed there and why we see torn up engines. That power inthe upper RPM band and increasing that RPM is what is needed.

#19 ·
Uh oh, here we go. The next expert tuner has been born. :pointlaugh: :D

I don't know what to tell you Mike. My truck is a slow spooler and will smoke on the bottom unless we pull out a lot of fuel. Could be a result of lower compression w/ too much squish. Could be a result of excessive head porting which gets my vote. I think the cam is now the restriction instead of the head as it should be. I think the air just sits there. I'd like a cam but that's a lot of work at this time.

Matt and I custom tuned it the other day and Matt, based on the butt dyno, felt it was around a 650 hp truck. We made it so clean on the bottom and mid it just unavoidably hurt low/ mid hp. It was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

I might also add that 650 elevation at 98 degrees F w/ 75% humidity in Austin doesn't have much, if any more O2 than 5500', 84 F, w/ 15% humidity in Denver.

#20 ·
Which injectors are easier to tune for and easier to clean up for y'all tuners?

Or are they equally the same?

This will be 99% DD but if the need ever arises that I need to pull a gooseneck of hay (~28k) or eqivalent I want the ability to be there.

Also aiming for 475-500hp

#25 ·
ill build for 550 and take whatever it gives me tuned down a tad..probably 475ish?

#28 ·
Why dont yall two lovebirds hit it up in chat and please stop derailing my thread completley

#30 ·
Sun, what version of the 42r do you have, that you keep refering to it as a large single?

I guess I am just confused about that EVERY time I here you say that.

Your definition of large and mine may seem to differ, so I will hold my thoughts untill you answer the question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.