Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tell your BTS stories here.

5K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  aklim 
#1 ·
I need to convince my dad to let me get a BTS trans before mine blows up while driving.please tell me all the stuff that has happened to you and your BTS trans,how Brian helped you out and his warranty.please no derailing this thread,i wuld just like some stories.thanks

#2 ·
Re: Tell BTS Stories hear

One question only. Why do you need to get your Dad's permission to spend your money on your truck?

#3 ·

One question only. Why do you need to get your Dad's permission to spend your money on your truck?
I'll be willing to guess he is in the position I was once in with my truck.

I knew I was getting the truck as a graduation gift, I grew fond of diesel performance and online forums long before I graduated. I had the money and wanted to start modding knowing that the truck would eventually be mine.

When my dad still had the truck he wasn't to fond of me throwing chips gauges loud exhaust etc at it...kinda had to get his permission to do it..

That's my only guess??

#5 ·

Well, Brian builds the transmission to your truck specs. He is more than willing to make sure it is done right. Several months after I put mine in the stater valve in my torque converter broke and he had a new converter on the way that day no charge. I know guys that had other various problems that were simple and he either talked them through how to fix it or sent the parts right out. In my opinion paying for a rebuilt regular transmission is not worth the time or money. I made that mistake and had to buy another transmission 3 years later. Big Mistake on my part.

#7 ·

TQ converter went in my bts after 7yrs 60k on it, Brian replaced it for no $$. I just payed shipping cost. Thats service.

#10 ·
Re: Tell you BTS stories here.

Sure he is. He's saving you or your Dad $4000+ that you do not NEED to spend. My truck has been chipped for over 8 years and 1 year with injectors and more with only minor valve body mods. I plan to do a BTS next year if funds allow.

Listen to those trying to save you money.

#11 ·
i would rather buy a bts trans and then add more hp,than add hp now and my trany go out,and i not have any money for a new one.

#12 ·
well if you by a tranny now then you wont have any money for mods... so either way you look at it, you buy one then you wont have money for the other.. i havnt had but one pickup that had an auto in it so i dont hav much experience with them, but if it was me id do more mods first with the money i had to spend...

#13 ·
This is what i would do if i was in your position.

Get a BTS valve body and Stallion convertor from brian. Should make your trans last a lot longer than it will now.

Once the trans goes get a fully built BTS, brian will credit the TC and valve body off of the price for the trans you buy from him. That way you would only have to spend some money now, then save for the whole thing when your trans finally goes out.

I am almost positive he will do this, at least this is what he told me when i talked to him about transmission work.

#14 ·
If he isn't getting a TC from Brian, don't get a TC since it will have to be cut apart and cleaned when the trans breaks. That cost me $400 when my 700R4 broke.

#15 ·
would it be worth puting a PI torque converter and valve body in?
i will have to spend another 400 to clean it when it goes/i get a full trany?
i would also have to do a pump mod

#16 ·
I would suggest talking to Brian and see what he thinks. Last time, i had to pry information out of him concerning his TC. he was good on the VB but grudgingly admitted he had a TC. I'd say he didn't recommend it but in reality, he basically didn't want me to do it. A month later, the trans crapped out. Good thing I didn't.

If he will warranty the TC when the trans breaks, fine. Go for it. Still, I wouldn't bother. Get a VB and save money for the full build.

#17 ·
what about a valve body and diesel site tranny cooler.anything else i could do for it?bigger pan?plus i would flush the system and put schaeffers fluid in it?would all that help it out pretty good?

#20 ·
#23 ·
Used trans is like a used condom. I wouldn't, would you?

Leave the TC alone. Say you buy a good TC like a PI Stallion. You install it. The trans craps out. Do you know what happens to your $1000 converter? You send it back to PI and they cut it apart, clean it, weld it back, balance it. Cost me $400 a couple years ago when my 700R4 crapped out. Just do a VB, flush the fluids and use a 6.0 trans cooler when you find a cheaper new one. This is like mating a young stud with Grandma.

Obviously the seller will say it is in good shape. What if he lied? Your trans gets debris from the TC. Only way I would do that is if I KNOW the trans.

#21 ·
A used 6L tc? I wouldn't, especially since I don't know what condition it's in.

You shouldn't need a new TC, but a good new aftermarket one would be good. The extra efficiency will help keep the trans cool.
Something like this is what I'd suggest. RacerX is a sponsor on here, so you can ask him about any details of it. Racer X

#24 ·
Anyone know where a 6.0 trans cooler is for cheap.someone on here wanted like 300 for a brand new one

#25 ·
Lurk around on ebay. I got mine for under $150 delivered.

#28 ·
What if the donor truck had a trans which blew up? He flushes it and you accept it. How do you know there is no more debris in the trans? Not a good idea, IMO.

Using a trans cooler off another truck is just like using condoms after they have been used by someone else.

Unless you know the truck, I wouldn't. The cooler is a very good cooler. Why would the seller be getting rid of it? Doesn't make sense unless the trans is toast or the truck has been wrecked. If wrecked, was it damaged in some way that shows up much later

#30 ·
Call Brian and talk with him. I am in a similar boat as you, only I am a cheap bastard and dont want to spend the $$$ :D. Anyways, I called and talked to Brian to see if by installing the converter and VB from him it would prolong the life of my 150K tranny. He had a lot of good reasons why it would not and basically I am just polishing a turd by spending money on my tranny. His best advice is keep the fluid fresh and keep the temps cool. If I were you, I would start saving $$$ for a tranny and have fun with the truck. By the time you have the $4600 saved for the tranny, yours will blow and all will be good. Prob not what you want to hear, but non the less good advice.

Call Brian and talk with him and he will set you straight. IMO Dont buy a new converter or VB, just let the tranny run its corse.

BTW if you do buy a converter and VB from him he will give you full credit on new ones if you buy a tranny from him.

#32 ·
In theory, sure. Do you know the history? Do you trust the seller? If Brian at BTS said the unit he was selling me is fine, I'm game. If it comes off an unknown seller, I'd be leery. That is, unless you are running a BTS like me. That way, you know it is covered if there is a problem.

If Ford won't warranty the trans if you don't get a new cooler, you think there might be a risk?

#34 ·
If you can save up the $$ , and you plan on keeping your truck for a while, get a BTS trans built...it's well worth the $$. The valve body tuning and different shift point settings in the chip tunes turned my truck into a completely different animal (in a good way). I drove 20 hours to BTS for a trans and other work...totally worth it. Everyone couldn't have been any nicer, huge, clean, and very organized shop. Brian is a straight up no bullsh*t type of guy. The job gets done right, or not at all. I don't think anyone else has a warranty like BTS does (that will actually honor it 100%). They have had the same reputation for the last 11-12 years for a reason!

#35 ·
That is the thing. He updates the trans when it needs to be fixed for nothing. It lasts as long as you have his trans. I would challenge anyone to show me customer testimonials that their builder has had such a warranty. So far, no takers other than "My guy said......". Even if they warranty the trans 100% for 2 or 3 years, what is the point? Unless you are doing something extreme, the trans will probably break OUTSIDE that warranty. We cannot expect someone to take care of you forever. Brian has been doing so for many customers. Dockboy comes to mind. THAT is why I went with a BTS. Because I knew I would break it sooner or later and right now, I am already OUTSIDE of the warranty but based on his reputation, I know that if it broke tomorrow, I would pay shipping but not for the rebuild. The TC starts at $1000 as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.