Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Have a buddy in need

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TSND_6.4 
#1 ·
he has a 1999 7.3 that has a bad stocker turbo, he doesn't want to go up to a 38R for $ reasons. Anyone have any just lying around??

#3 ·
What do you mean by bad? Are the housings ate up.They are super easy to rebuild yourself for less than $100.

#4 ·
he said that it is leaking oil into the intercooler tube......i haven't taken a look at it. I will let him know about the rebuilding it. I don't know if it's a early or late. He's pretty new with diesels in general, and i'm fairly new as well..especially with the 7.3's.

#5 ·
some oil in the intake and intercooler tubes is normal-search ccv mods for more info. Check the compressor wheel for end play(pull it in and out)there should be very little to no end play.Up and down play(a small amount) is normal.

#6 ·
X2 on the rebuilding part. Parts about $100.......or you can get it rebuilt and balanced for $350ish?

Forgot about that pesky CCV.

#7 ·
I agree on the ccv.I run a BD/MANN unit on mine.Pricey,but works great. I got tired of the -"hey man your awsome truck stinks' or the hey your truck is smoking man.

#8 ·
Early 99 is before Dec of 98. After that it was a 99.5. Different turbo. If it an early, I have one, make an offer.

#9 ·
Sounds like the CCV blowing the oil into the IC tubes... Rebuilding the turbo is pretty easy and cheap, just takes a few hrs to take it off rebuild and replace...

#11 ·
I'm gonna check the the turbo wheel its self...reason being, is because it looks like there is a leak in the turbo it's self. When you pop the hood, and look directly at the turbo, you can see oil on the face of the comp housing facing towards you. It's weird, but i will pass on the info. Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.