Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Problems with 4 Wheel Drive

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  sagebel 
#1 ·
Last night my buddies and I went down to the beach to do some surfcasting. When I was on the ramp to drive on the beach I switched over to 4-HI. It hesitated then said "Check 4X4". it went into 4 wheel but had the wrench in orange on the dash. It was a beast on the sand, the 35" nitto's helped I guess. I didn't even have to air down. After we were done when we were on the pavement I clicked back to 2 wheel. It didn't switch back, so I went back to 4 Hi and the only thing it was saying was check 4X4. Then once again I switched back to 2 wheel and it made a grinding noise, then went to 2 wheel. It runs great now with no problems, im just worried about the next time I need 4X4. Im going to bring it to the dealer when I hit 3000 miles for the first service, however I only have 2200 right now on the truck. Should I not worry about it and wait, or do you guys recommend bringing it in now?

#4 ·
So last night I went down to the beach again. Same thing. the 4X4 was actually shifting in and out of 4X4 to 4X2. So this morning I was the first one in the servive department of the dealership. Of course when the sales manager went into my truck to check it out it was fine and wasnt doing it. So now hopefully it goes away, however I highly doubt it.

#5 ·
If you had an orange wrench on the dash, it must have set a code, did they pull them to see?

#6 ·
No they didn't pull any codes. I didn't want to start a whole issue. We have a good relationship with the dealer because all our company vehicles are purchased and serviced through them. they actually filled my urea tank for free, and it was telling me it was less then 1/2 full. I got something from Ford for a free urea fill, however they told me to keep it for next time and no charge this time around. If it happens again then I will have to say something, but for now that is why it is staying stock and im going to use the warranty if i have to.

#7 ·
The first urea is free for everyone! If you have a good relationship with the dealer they should have no problem with helping you out and checking the codes for free also.

#8 ·
Yes, the first is free for everyone, but it sounds like his dealer gave him a free top off, and let him keep the free coupon or what ever, for the next time too!
I also agree, it wouldn't have been a big deal for them to check codes, and doubt it would have "Caused an issue" if you do have a good relationship with them. But what ever, good luck, if it happens again let us know what's up.
Mine will certainly be a 4x4.

#9 ·
You have a brand new truck and the 4x4 doesnt work properly, making grinding noise and you "dont want to put the dealer out"??

I'd be all up in their business trying to get it fixed! Good luck though, hope its nothing major.

Do the 2011's use the same vacuum-operated hub as the previous years?

*edit* just realized this is a few months old...any update OP?

#11 ·
I had mine do something similar on the way up a forest service road. Dash said to check 4x4 and there was a wrench. 4x4 worked fine. Parked the truck, went hiking and when I got back in the truck and started it the message and wrench were gone. Dealer looked for codes when I had the re-flash done. Didn't find anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.