Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Factory Remote Oil Filter

25K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  smokinstroker 
#1 ·
Doug this for you buddy.

As most know the stock 6.0 F250 series truck the oil filter location is on top of the motor. Now I did some research in the past forgot about it till, now Doug need your ALL MIGHTLY knowledge. E-series van 6.0 the filter location was moved to a remote location like trusted, with that said the same fitting that trusted came out with is the same as the factory, now Doug why not locate a E-series oil filter housing cap make some customs lines, a better filter and ding you have a custom oil relocation kit using the factory design and system.

#5 ·
Exact picture I was thinking of lol. just forgot but hey its an idea, but the one i saw the lines where coming where the filter housing is, just like trusted delete two ports etc.

#7 ·
Walk in to Ford. Say, "Hey Man I have a 2005 E-350 with one of them there 6.0L Powerstrokes. Instead of bringing it to Ford to do the oil change I took it to one of those quick lube places and they mess up the filter and the housing."

When he pulls up the vehicle in the computer and looks up the vehicle and the part you are asking for. Jump across the counter. Throw an elbow if you have to and rotate the monitor and all of the parts will have lines out to a basic part number.

#11 ·
Why would you want to move it underneath? I thought that where is was seemed pretty darn convenient. Just curious.

#16 ·
So just to throw the question out there, what kind of adapter/base would be need to put a FL 1995 spin on? Just curious.

#19 ·
Haha let the discussions begin, true the factory filter is more then enough, then why do ppl do bypass systems ? Why not get a better filter above stock tie into the factory setup call it good vs 2 filters ? Just a thought sorry I do this but same egr tuner exhaust question are common gotta make the brain work n get doug started

Come on Chris let's hear it lol

Just thought of this now if you can find another adapter setup using a small jumper hose to another adapter, now you have 2 inline filters like trusted setup run the line back. Hmmm now u have the same design concept better filtration n factory parts minus the second filter

#20 ·
gotta take the stab here, this is ideally the same setup as trusted sells. had i known ford made one when i bought it i probably would have gone that route seeing as its surely cheaper, and your gurrantied the flow specs.

only thing is looking to see where these lines run on the block opposed to the trusted kit where you can pretty much route them wherever you want. also my filters and bases on my trusted kit are no longer the small style that was sent out with the original kits, just ot make sure that flow rates and factory specs were met.

#21 ·
They fixed a flaw, correct now if anyone actually seen a 6.0 block minus some of us, the port that the oil comes out of the block is about 1/2 inch, so if u did a relocation kit that had smaller lines, and less volume ur basicly restricting flow from the factory specs, talking with Doug before your lines coming off and returning would have to be larger or equal to factory specs, to balance out the volume and flow ratings. They would probably benefit better vs having smaller lines coming out

#22 ·
exactly, the lines on mine are 5/8 so plenty of flow there, i felt that the restriction was in the filters and the bases themsleves. the filters are about double the size now and when i get around to crossreferencing them and putting on some wix or baldwins im going to make sure the flow and micron ratings meet specs.

#23 ·
Also wonder if oil temps are changed slightly due to the fact that the filters are below the truck getting direct contact of air hmmmmm there's a question in itself, let's say u try to locate a cooler to place up front or bottom side problem will be finding a cooler that has 1/2 inch tubing through t so u don't restrict flow

I know ur lurking shawn let's hear ur input

#33 ·
I run my Oil Guard under the truck and can't see any difference in the temps.

Best bet for all this is to do some mod work to the OEM hard lines used in the E series setup. Cut the lines, weld in some elbows, find tubing to run to the additional oil filter housing and return the flow. In that work you could add a oil cooler that has a electric fan mounted to it.

Has anyone actually proven lower oil temps add any benefit to the motor?

#24 ·
Just thinking out of my ass now, but if you relocate the stock type filter lower and upside down using the van style pictured, won't you create a hell of a mess when changing the filter?
If you relocate the same type filter, it would make sense to maintain similar orientation and elevation. If someone can macine the current adapter that mates to the base, then it stands to reason that someone can machine the mate to the filter housing as well, adding a mounting flange into the design.

#31 ·
So been discussing this with Chris on our theory behind it all,

What are the actually constant temp of coolant ? Lets say 195 cruising themps, oil should roughly be around what 210 or so maybe a lil lower, keep in mind this idea is also keeping the factory oil cooler in place.

Now mine and Chris thoughts where if the average temps are hovering about 10-15 degrees apart, what would cooling the oil to the same temp as the coolant so both coolant and oil is 195 or so. Now we were thinking of using the factory relocation kit, and tieing in a fan with 1/2 tubing to equal out the flow with no restriction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.