Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Front axle u-joints and binding steering question

37K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  kcwdiesel 
#1 ·
My steering has started to bind after taking sharp turns. It will pull to the side after turning sometimes untill I jerk the steering wheel the other direction. I jacked up the front end and checked ball joints and the u-joints, I noticed that with the wheels turned all of the way to either side and the front hubs locked the right side u- joint locks up while spinning the front tire. If I unlock the hub the axle\u joint assy does not spin or bind. So my question is when I am driving with the hubs unlocked could the front axle shafts still spin enough to bind with a froze u- joint? or should I be looking elsewhere.

#2 ·
Try this.

Make sure the hubs are unlocked and the wheels are straight. Use something to pry on the ujoint (gently) and see if there is play where it goes thru the wheel bearing. The inner race bearing goes bad sometimes and causes some wacky issues.

But Im betting your steering box is on the way out.

#3 ·
I had the same problem and it ended up being a seized front u-joint. The steering would catch while turning then pull and wobble until I could get it to snap back the other direction. Replaced both u-joints and it drives like new again.

#7 ·
When you put it back in make sure that inner race is lubed good and in good shape. If it fails it will run the shafter where it goes thru the bearing. Mines messed up right now and Ive got to order a new shaft and then replace the wheel bearing at the same time :(

#9 ·
Pretty easy actually once the wheel bearings removed. Axle slides out and then change the joints. The fun part is dealing with the seals but they werent that hard.

#10 ·
How did you do the seals yourself I was told you need to use a special tool from ford?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.