Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Built trans goin down...

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  chvyrkr81 
#1 ·
For those that know these things...

ATS 3 with about 30k on it. It's been used for what it was built for.

A couple weeks ago when WOT, it developed a slight slip/shudder on the 2-3 shift. Shifts fine part throttle, TC locks up when it's supposed to, once locked in 3rd gear it pulls fine with no slip, every other gear is just fine, etc.

NO other issue that that shift.

ATS says they're gonna take care of me :eek:, but there have been some issues gettin the ONLY trans shop I'll let touch the truck and the gentleman at ATS on the phone together. Either ATS doesn't call back or the shop "is to busy for the phone."

So I've been takin it easy on the truck until we get something figured out.

Had no codes and no issues drivin it until today, when I left it idling in 90+ temps for about 15 minutes. Trans was 180* fluid and 191* on the scangauge when I got back in the truck.

Left the house with the wife to head to town, drivin easy. Trans shifted outa first part throttle at about 10-15 and locked the converter as soon as it hit 2nd.

Tuned to lock at about 30 WOT, and about 36 part throttle.

Let off the throttle and it unlocked, rolled back into it and it just reved the engine. Backed back out of it and it slammed into 2nd with the converter locked. Rolled back into it and it acted fine. Weird I though, but I kept drivin, hopin it was just a fluke.

Got out on the highway and it did close to the same thing, but locked (slammed) on the 2-3 shift at about 28 MPH this time.

Got up to highway speeds (55) and everything was feeling fine, then it dropped outa gear and free reved, then slammed back into OD with the converter locked. Then the converter performed a really interesting rapid fire lock/unlock routine and downshifted to 3rd and locked back up, and wouldn't shift to OD.

OD light started flashing at me at this time, so the wife and I gave up on our date and turned around to go back to the house.

Trans attempted to repeat the performance all the way until I locked out OD and kept the speed at about 40. Was quirky with OD locked out, but didn't do the "slam-bang I hate your guts show" anymore.

Got to the house and parked the truck. Let it sit for a couple hours while I pulled the codes, P0500 and P0721. So, I went over the wiring harness to the OSS and the VSS, and didn't find a single issue, so I started the truck again and went for a drive.

Trans had cooled down to about 160* fluid and scangauge at that point. It didn't heat up anymore during the drive, and didn't repeat the afternoons stunt. Drove just like it has for the past few weeks, still slipping/shuddering the 2-3 shift ever so slightly.

When I first contacted ATS and told them the trans had 30k on it and I was havin this issue, the gentleman I talked to thought it would be something in the soleniod body since I had no other issues with the trans, and asked me to have my trans shop get ahold of him.

My trans shop thinks it's something else.

I'll be in colorado for the next two weeks, without my truck, and was planning on stopping by ATS to speak with them about a solution.

Should I ask for a solenoid body to hand carry home with me? Or am I chasing my tail there?

Could it be something as simple as having the truck tuned without trac bars installed, and now that they're installed I just need a little more line pressure on the 2-3 shift?

Or does todays performance indicate electrical issues, and not simply an unwillingness of said electrical components to work properly when hot, ish?

Thanks...

See less See more
#3 ·
unfortunatly you may be at the mercy of having to go to an authorized ats dealer..if you want them to cover it.
are you going direct to the factory?

#4 ·
Call Bill:poke:

#6 ·
Codes were OSS and VSS. Which, in my ignorant opinion are not going to fail simultaniously. So I checked out the harness, which was fine.

And yes, I plan on going to the main office in Denver in just a few minutes. I'm workin an hour from it for the next couple weeks.

#7 ·
did you tune the truck lately because i was having the same problem with my nadp transmission and it took us a while but we found out that that the tuning was the issue the guy that tuned it made the torque converter lock up durring shifts to try and save the factory transmission which i didnt have. the new transmission didnt like it and it slamed into all the gears. now it took three tunes to get the issue solved but in the end it was just the tune.

#8 ·
Not tuning. Truck has been fine since it was tuned, and the tuner has to good a record for me to really consider that. Truck was fine after installing the trac bars too.

This started after a long trip. Something in there just plain quit working on that trip.

#9 ·
I dont know dont know much about transmissons but I know on are Expedition and Navigator when we go on a long trip the transmisson would get warm. It would almost lock the TC as soon as it shifted into 2nd gear. It might have been a computer generated thing causeing that.

#12 ·
I just did actually.

The new solenoid pack is in, and it seems to be behaving itself. I'm going to take it to my tuner and have him look at his line pressure settings to make sure we're asking for enough, then I'm gonna run the hell out of it.

So far, seems like a solenoid pack and a OSS fixed the issue though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.