Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Bought myself a Fathers day gift

5K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
though I have a confession to make first.

One thing I have always done before I sold a product by another manufacture is to try it and make sure it works as advertised, except in this case and I have to admit I am quite relived it worked as well as it did although I have had plenty of good customer feedback on the product.
I installed the Stealth Stage 1 yesterday on my Bronco and boy the fun I have been missing. The worn out 15 degree pump was barely holding 1200 psi with my crap 5ms PW tuning, now it holds 3200:D
Biggest difference was off idle and part throttle response, it responded well before with the 38R but now it's almost like having a supercharger on it:evil

#3 ·
yes it is, I have had it on Snow White and on the wifes 02 but I have never had it in my personal daily driver. A lot of people focus only on the *** part of the equation but I love the off idle and part throttle response as my daily commute to and from the shop is never *** or anything past 1/4 throttle.
0-50mph at 1/4 throttle is a smokeless buried in the seat experience that begs for more throttle but alas no room for it.

#8 ·
Very cool David, glad to see Stealth pumps are still alive and well!
Though I may never have the chance to own one now, I am in the process of trying to figure out how to own a 6.7! LOL
It looks like it may be a possibility!

Um, I just realized, you said installed the Stealth Stage I on your ??BRONCO??
Did I miss a conversion you did or something? LOL It sounds like it.....

Post pictures of this beast!

#22 ·
I totally agree it is not just about what a pump does at 3000 rpm

#23 ·
Happy Fathers Day David!:D

LOL Funny how things change though!!! Do you remember the arguments you and I used to have on the phone years ago about the advantages of HPO systems and how you were animate about how they weren't needed??:poke:LOL

I tried to find some of the older posts but the archives seem to be inactive:(

Here is one from over 5 years ago though ;)

Swash plate angles info Swamps??? - Page 6 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Dockboy said:
First, I want to start this post by saying my comments in no way are intended to discredit or minimalize Jon and Dave’s work on PSD advancements!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think they have done a great job!! But this topic gives me a chance to try and convey some things I’ve been trying to describe to people for a while now and have seemingly been unable to get across to most. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

While I will agree that a stock pump, modified to flow a little more volume, will help those who are loosing pressure at the upper end of the throttle. It will fall well short of the “real” advantages of a twin setup like the BTS though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I’ll explain in a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, in most HPOP threads, people start focusing on pressure values and how high this pump or that pump can hold pressure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It’s not about how high the pressure can be, but about how well pressure is maintained! Not only at WOT, but at all ranges of rpms, even at idle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif In fact, higher pressures will actually DECREASE performance!!

Ok, lets talk a little about the how’s and why’s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The HPOP provides X amount of oil so Y pressure can be given to the injectors depending on what the PCM asks based on things like throttle position, load, ect. so they can inject the proper amount of fuel for a giving condition. A problem arises when the pump cannot supply enough volume of oil to maintain a desired pressure. This can happen in a few scenarios. First, and the one most people know about, is at WOT with a hot program or larger injectors. The truck just flattens out up top because the pressure cannot be maintained for the amount of pulse width being asked for. Then there are the ones that most people don’t realize are actually HPOP problems! These problems stem from the fact that the HPOP is gear driven and it’s performance is directly affected by RPM. For example, some people’s trucks are a little slow to respond when aggressively pressing the throttle off idle or low rpms, or immediately after a shift when the rpms drop. They usually chalk this up to something like turbo lag or just overall bad performance of a PSD. When in actuality, it’s because the pump is rpm dependent on its volume output and can’t supply enough volume to create the pressure at low rpms with a sudden request for higher pressure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

These problems do not occur with the added available volume of a properly setup twin pump system, even at low rpms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The result is unbelievable throttle response and a tremendous amount of generated torque!!!

I was having one of my typical long conversations with Brian (BTS) the other day about many things and he asked me what people thought about his HPOP. I told him that I truly believe people just flat out don’t comprehend the advantages it creates because they haven’t been able to “feel” it! And that the price scares them. So everyone is out to find a “less expensive” alternative. As I said earlier, there may be some less expensive ways to go about it, but you won’t be able to modify a stock pump to accomplish the same overall effect.

I’ll give you a specific example of how hard it is to actually comprehend what this setup can do. About 6 mos. Ago, I was having a phone conversation with Jeremy (wacker). I was trying to explain to him the advantages and performance characteristics of the BTS pump. He kept saying, “Yeah, I know” and “I know what you mean”. I could tell he really didn’t!! The next day, he took a ride in a truck with a BTS pump. He made it a point to call me back and say “NOW I understand what you were saying!!!” /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

#28 ·
#36 ·
Dave, when you get some free time post up some data logging on the Stage 1 Stealth. I have seen you have been pimping the Stealth on your site for a little while now so lets see some data and not the SOTH/*** comments.

#37 ·
Is the stage 1 a good upgrade from an adrenaline if I'm only seeing 2800psi at wot w/ 250/100 injectors

#44 ·
I'll be data logging this weekend with 238/80's then installing one in Snow White with 250/200's. I figure if a stage 1 will feed the 250/200's that is good for over 600rwhp on fuel.
Good bang for the buck.

#45 ·
id bet itll do it too. the truck im referring to has a 66mm h2, 238/80s and stg1 stealth, and with a 10 inch lift and 38s, itll get squirly from a 20mph punch. thats not a very accurate dyno, but id be willing to bet its a good bit over 500.

When we first put the pump in i actually hadnt changed his tune from the stock pump, and blipping the throttle it would actually go 3400+. it does 3100 at 33-34dc now, and it does it right away. I also like how fast it makes the truck start.

#46 ·
In speaking with Beans in PM he felt a stage I was fine for a 300/200 . I might pick up a bit faster ramp up with a Stage II but based on holding pressure etc Stage I was fine and plenty. Given that I would guesstimate the tipping point may be a 300% nozzle. Have no clue with B codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.