Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

vacuum brake bleed question

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Rob02F350 
#1 ·
hey guys

bought a "mighty vac" brake bleeder thing from sears.. went and loosened my bleeder screws on the front calipers, put the hoses on pumped that sob right up to 25"... not a drop of fluid came out.... backed the screw off more... fluid came out from around the threads...

shouldnt that vacuum suck the fluid threw the bleeder with it cracked open a few turns?

i went over to the Right side, had a hell of a time getting the bleeder loose, but pumped it up to 25"... then i heard a small puff of air and some fluid came out from around the threads of the bleeder, so i turned it back in.

brakes work a hell of a lot better.. but the bleeder didnt help anything...

bleed screws junk and not allowing the fluid to flow threw them? they looked clean inside, no junk built up and such.

or is that just my sign to do it the old fashion way :ford::pointlaugh:

thanks

-Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe...it might not have been enough pressure either. Ive never opened two bleeders in that situation. I bleed each caliper seperately from farthest to closest when I do brake jobs. Not so much to get the air out but get the old burnt fluid out of the calipers. Once a month I go out and crack the bleeders on all the cars and let them gravity bleed for a while and then close em all up. Extends the life of all the hydraulic brake components by letting old fluid out. Just crack em though. It'll slowly drip out..

#3 ·
Your bleeder screw is more than likely clogged with rust and/or dirt/grime. Take it off and get a small pick and make sure you can blow through it before reinstalling. I run across this pretty often. Let us know what you find out.

#4 ·
okay.

ill pull the bleeders out when sundown comes closer and clean them up and try the sucker again.

only do 1 caliper at a time, don't want to make to big of a mess in the driveway. lol

#5 ·
Update,

went to the back brakes, sure as hell... the rear bleeder's have rubber caps that are covering the holes... keeping the hose barb and internals of the bleeder shiny clean.

hooked up the sucker, opened the bleeder... sucked out BLACK fluid. then light brown, then clear. went to the left rear, did the same thing just didnt take as long to get clear.

went up front, pulled out the bleeders and put a small catcher under the caliper, let gravity drain a good amount out, keeping the res' topped off, did both sides.

ran it, pumped the brakes make sure it felt right... felt weird... there was brakes not on the floor LOL went out for a drive and holy shart! that thing can stop!

figure tommorw, ill get a 2 new bleeders and 2 rubber caps for the fronts, and suck some fluid just to make sure it's clear.. then i should be good....?

or should i go hunt the ABS modulator and lick onto that bleeder and try and get some out? or leave it be?

thanks!

#7 ·
Dont be pissin about with the abs!!! If you bled the brakes out and the truck is stopping nicely then you are done for now. Just keep an eye on the fluid in the master cyl and check the brakes if they make noise or feel differently. Cal it a day!

#8 ·
yep. i ran 2 large bottles of fluid threw the brakes, work a hell of a lot better then they ever have. now ill just suck the system out yearly... maybe. lol. it's only 14$ for the valvoline synthetic.

thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.