Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

IH Trac-Tractor

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  edge186 
#1 ·
My dad has and old IH TracTractor that we cant get running but i'd like to see it happen this year cause its a pretty neat ol' machine. It hasn't run for probably at least 10 to 15 years if not longer. we spent a day pulling it around trying and it puffs plenty of white smoke and sounds like it wants to fire but it just won't do it. possibly a fuel delivery problem? someone said possibly the magneto but i have no idea.

any help would be appreciated. I'll try to post a pic one of these days.

#3 ·
yeah its diesel. oh... i didn't realize that. shows you how much i know. i'll get some pics but it probably won't be till tuesday on my day off.

its an IH TD-35 TracTractor

#5 ·
to be honest its been a couple years since we've played with it. but if my memory serves me right, it starts on gas then runs on diesel. so it may actually have a magneto. im not positive.

#6 ·
ok, if it has a fuel tank and a gasoline tank for starting then its a gas motor and does have a magneto or distributor and spark plugs, wires and caps.you can switch to diesel or kerosene once the engine is up to about 160 degrees but if you try to start on diesel it will just smoke.i have a '48 john deere B with this set up and id never put diesel or kerosene in it ever,they were produced this way because kerosene was so much cheaper when they were built.if kerosene is left in the system and mixes with gas it makes a hell of a mess.sounds like you have ignition because of the smoke,you may need to just clean the fuel system and fill with fresh fuel.

#7 ·
No it is a diesel. not gas. the D in TD-35 means Diesel. T-35 was the gasoline model.

I will have to go find out more about it.

heres a vid of one similar

#8 ·
It starts on gas and runs on diesel, make sure you have the lever switched to run on diesel and you should be able to pull start it. Make sure your fuel system has been drained and filled with fresh fuel. Get over on Yesterdays Tractors IH forum to get answers from people that really do know these diesel engines. Good Luck.

#10 ·
thats exactly what i was just about to do. thanks boss.

#11 ·
Here it is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.