Serpentine Belt, how hard to change? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.4L Power Stroke - Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Matt_P
Was PSD0389
Member's Gallery

Serpentine Belt, how hard to change?

Ok so among the other things the dealer is fixing on my truck right now they told me that my serpentine belt needs to be replaced.

They want 320 to do it. Id really like to avoid spending that but Ive looked before and it doesnt look too easy to do on a 6.4. Nothing compared to when I replaced one on my 7.3

So my question is how hard is it to do. Will I just be throwing tools from being frustrated or is it not too bad?

Thanks
08 6.4- Totaled 12/19/10
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 PM
POWERSTROKER
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Serpentine Belt, how hard to change?

What else is the dealer fixing?

Ita a PITA if you have never done one

CCV Mod
knn intake
banks exhaust
banks power elbo
banks turbo housing
big head waste gate-disconnected
Tuning by Gearhead Automotive Performance
4 gauge pod with DiPricol pyro, boost, trans temp, HPOP
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/
Old 06-19-2010, 12:15 AM
jdc753
6Leaker
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

If its anything like the 6.0 I bet iits a royal PITA
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 AM
BFT
IM OUT!!!
Member's Gallery

looks like they are taking you for a ride bud!

he's got a forehead like a drive-in movie theater
Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 AM
SootRoller
<<< just like that......
Member's Gallery

Start by removing the top half of your fan shroud {two 8mm bolts on the powersteering reservoir [remove the pwr. strng. line that is in the plastic bracket on the side of the reservoir first], the other two are on either side of the shroud, about midway down} then GENTLY remove the top half. It will be a tight squeeze so take your time. Second, you need to remove your fan shroud. It is held in place by two 13mm nuts {top two} and two 13mm bolts on the bottom. Third step, you need to remove your fan. First, place a fender cover over the rear or your radiator. Second, disconnect your fans electrical connector. Next, going clockwise {when standing in front of the truck, looking at the hood, to the right}, take your fan off. Place one hand under the clutch to catch it when it comes off. Then GENTLY!!!! lay it against your radiator and let it lay. You should then have enough room to fa-niggle it. Fourth, remove your belt. You tensioner is a 3/8th drive. It is very easy to release the tension, however, ther is no relief clip for it. You will have to hold tension on it with one hand and remove the belt from whatever pulley you can get to easiest. To install, thread the belt according to the diagram on your crossbrace. It will be a bit of fun to put it back on because you have to hold tension on it while attempting to thread it on the one pulley left...however, it actually isn't a bad job at all. Just a pain to get to the belt itself. If I were you, I'd do it myself as it is definetly easier than $320.00 out of the pocket. Plus, you will learn a little about your truck during....you'll also make a vow to kill any engineer who had anything to do with the belt placement on the 6.4. Sorry about the novel man
Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 AM
SootRoller
<<< just like that......
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
If its anything like the 6.0 I bet iits a royal PITA
It will make you beg to do a 6.0 belt...your first time, it really is that much fun.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Matt_P
Was PSD0389
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SootRoller View Post
Start by removing the top half of your fan shroud {two 8mm bolts on the powersteering reservoir [remove the pwr. strng. line that is in the plastic bracket on the side of the reservoir first], the other two are on either side of the shroud, about midway down} then GENTLY remove the top half. It will be a tight squeeze so take your time. Second, you need to remove your fan shroud. It is held in place by two 13mm nuts {top two} and two 13mm bolts on the bottom. Third step, you need to remove your fan. First, place a fender cover over the rear or your radiator. Second, disconnect your fans electrical connector. Next, going clockwise {when standing in front of the truck, looking at the hood, to the right}, take your fan off. Place one hand under the clutch to catch it when it comes off. Then GENTLY!!!! lay it against your radiator and let it lay. You should then have enough room to fa-niggle it. Fourth, remove your belt. You tensioner is a 3/8th drive. It is very easy to release the tension, however, ther is no relief clip for it. You will have to hold tension on it with one hand and remove the belt from whatever pulley you can get to easiest. To install, thread the belt according to the diagram on your crossbrace. It will be a bit of fun to put it back on because you have to hold tension on it while attempting to thread it on the one pulley left...however, it actually isn't a bad job at all. Just a pain to get to the belt itself. If I were you, I'd do it myself as it is definetly easier than $320.00 out of the pocket. Plus, you will learn a little about your truck during....you'll also make a vow to kill any engineer who had anything to do with the belt placement on the 6.4. Sorry about the novel man
Thanks for taking the time to write all that! IT definitely seems like a pain in the ass but cant be worse than pulling a stock turbo off an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFT View Post
looks like they are taking you for a ride bud!
See Im kinda thinking that since when I rode in the truck with another tech a while ago we both thought the squeaking was coming from the back left of the engine.

But I guess it could be the belt, I dont know what to think. I mean it all started after my head gaskets were done, the squeaking didnt happen til right after I picked it up from the other dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKER View Post
What else is the dealer fixing?

Ita a PITA if you have never done one
New FRP sensor and harness

Ive only done one on my OBS

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 149
04 oilburner, 09F350rmk, 16yrenthusiest, 2008power, 6.0.downlow, 64Diesel, 64powerstoke, 91turbogsx, 98stratusryder, 99350sd, aircooled, alexd, Antman, AZ08, beauregard77, bentstroker_00, bigjake0524, bodidly, BoomerL37, bridgesb51, btaylor08, cbenn, CCSracer13, chris d, clayc_989, clucas6308, co04cobra, Cok_Diesel, Comp7.3, coryjones, cowdog, coyconner1983, curt 2006, dairyman, Dangyo, dazed01, dbs0026, devinferg, dgeesaman, dieselman2442, dieselnewbe, ditners, Diver86er, DKrazyKracker32, Don 6.4, Dustin F2504x4, Easyrider6, eleventhtruck, F150orelse, f350red, fencegod, Firedog512, fordman4286, foureyed, FrancesFord, frb918, Gearitis, gkirkr, GMAN1, greaseltn, GROSSpolluter, harper44, Hawkav8tor, Hawnpowerstroke, headviking, hotrodstones, jac2010f350, jawsfx4, jdc753, jdecker88, Jeff H, JHill, JimTJr, jipi99, jkidd_39, Jngreen, joefalco, Johnboy3, jsmith, kade08, kdsf350, kelley02, Kip, Koppana, lurch, m j, mabracing, MahdeyS, markt, Matt_P, mcarey31, middlemanjw, mikef87, Mink, moose87, Motoracer057, murr3061, narcco, nomorespark, Non-Mechanic, o4ep3civ, oldschool, OnlyPolaris, PhillyB, plumber802, portlandareae28, Powerstroke Racer, powr2stroke, psdmike, RamStud, raptor, red95psd, Richardi503, Robs94z, rollingcoal69, roughneck0913, rsbhunter, ruizhernandeztrust, scottmorin156, Sigster, six4powerstroke, slowmans, slowstroke, Smut, SootRoller, straggleweed, stroke931, stroked99_1/2, strokenpoke, talon932, tank23, Teninoguy, tensixniner, The Silverback, timjohn, Tre Strokes, TRUBBS, turbom700, Uask4it, vapstroke, white03F250, whytry, Williams2004, Wizzard of Odds, wvpowerstroke