Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The Golf Thread

15K views 192 replies 24 participants last post by  J HO 22 
#1 ·
I live off the 14th at Pebble Beach but I have a vacation pad in Colorado. I might just buy this forum and do some house cleaning around here. If you don't use hair gell and slick your hair back you may be gone. Need to bring some class to this joint. All people who drive 2wd crew cab duallies are also gone. If you live in a mobile home... you're gone. Not a college grad? Bye! Things will be changing and the riff raff will be excused and let go.

#7 ·
Re: Veyron gets OWWWNNED by a Nissan twice!

The highlight from our last visit was number 6. The whole group par'd it, with 1 chip in.

We were talking at length with the caddy the last time because we were the first public tee time, but the CA amature match play was in front of us, so play was held up at times. He told us someone had offered the guy who owns the house right off of number 10 green 40 mil, and turned it down. If that's true, WOW.

#8 ·

I birdied the old 5 (with a deer popping out of the bushes right afterward :cool: ) and lipped out another one on 6. :D

Derailing a 'my vehicle is better than your vehicle' thread, to talk about golf.........has to be some kind a record...eh? LOL

#15 ·

I birdied the old 5 (with a deer popping out of the bushes right afterward :cool: ) and lipped out another one on 6. :D

Derailing a 'my vehicle is better than your vehicle' thread, to talk about golf.........has to be some kind a record...eh? LOL
LOL like the rest of this thread is going anywhere. :poke:

Have you played any of the other courses at Pebble?

We stayed at Spanish Bay last time, first time we stayed in Pebble. Enjoyed that a lot. We played Spanish Bay the afternoon of our Pebble round. It was awesome finishing the last hole as the sun was going down, with the bagpipes in the background.

I had a bunch of great pics, but lost them due to my hard drive crashing :mad:

Haven't played but 10 times or so since my daughter was born. When I was playing 2-3 times a week usually scored around 85-88. Can't touch those low numbers you guys are putting up there:doh:. I look forward to playing more once we get this business moving.

#9 ·

Heres a deal dukie. Round of golf at the place of your choice. I beat you I get your GT, you beat me I will pay to move you out of your moms basement.

#10 ·

Heres a deal dukie. Round of golf at the place of your choice.
King and Bear?

Loser pays for the round.

I get 1/4 stroke for every year in age difference. :D

#11 ·

What is your GHIN #? I just got back from a golf vacation 2 weeks ago. Played 36 or 54 holes for 7 days straight. I was golfer out. I'm not playing well right now. Think I just went up to a 9.2 or so. Things are looking up though figured a few things out. Hard to not figure some things out with that much golf. On another note just got tickets to Big Head Todd at the Belly Up in Aspen. That will be a great trip can't wait.

#13 ·

What is your GHIN #? I just got back from a golf vacation 2 weeks ago. Played 36 or 54 holes for 7 days straight. I was golfer out. I'm not playing well right now. Think I just went up to a 9.2 or so. Things are looking up though figured a few things out. Hard to not figure some things out with that much golf. On another note just got tickets to Big Head Todd at the Belly Up in Aspen. That will be a great trip can't wait.
Per the latest update (6/15), I went up to an 8.2 from 7.9. :shrug:

I hover between 7 and 10 these days but, have been down as low as a 5.3.

I've played a few courses in the Denver/Springs/Ft. Collins area, as well as the Greeley CC.............where my buddy is a member.

Where did you go on your golf vacation?

Attachments

#12 ·

lol. Im really not that much of a golf nor do i play well. Just never get the chance to do it that often. Havent got a GHIN yet.

I just assume fire golfballs out of my potato gun cause i discovered they fit with a paper towel as wadding.. good for a 1000 yard drive :D

The Mark Bostick course here at UF is pretty neat i think.

#14 ·

Southern Indiana. My favorite was the Martinsville CC. Great course with good fast smooth greens. Played several others as well. Another one like was The Point Golf & Tennis Club by Lake Monroe. I play all over here on the front range. I'm a member of Broken Tee. Our teaching pro Jason Preeo is playing in the Open this weekend. Be cool if he can make the cut.

#16 ·

Southern Indiana.
I was on a business trip (just happened to take my sticks :evil ) and played Brickyard Crossing on my way back to Chicago from Mayesville, KY.

I did it in Nov of 2000 and right after I finished, a big storm/tornado came roaring through Indy. :eek:

BTW - Arrowhead is definitely on my list the next time I'm out that way. :cool:

I have also played Dubsdread a couple of times, as well as some others around Chicago.

#20 ·
I just thought maybe there's enough golfers on here to have a thread about it, rather than muck up other threads.

In fact, maybe a mod could move the golf posts from the Veyron thread over here. :shrug:

Sound like a good job for the new junior mod? :evil

Yo andy. :D

Can't post any more right now as I'm headed out.

FORE!!!!!!! :cool:

#21 ·
I may tackle it when I get some time.

I have not played in so long, my brand new grips on my clubs are all dried out. It is the funnest game in the world to be bad at.

#23 ·

I remember walking on with some old guys. This was back when I was 30 something. I would out drive them a lot. We would get to the green. They would either sink the first putt for bird, or the second for par. I would chip on, putt for par, or two putt for bogey. And that was a good hole.

#26 ·
No where near as hard as moving a 2.5 gig file across networks from a computer in my office to a computer in a store about 300 miles away with a slow ISDN line. And doing it in my bedroom with a remote connection into my computer.

#28 ·
My wife and I just got back from playing a decent course near here.

Seems like a lot of courses are hurting and fighting for business.

18 holes w/cart............ for $16!! :eek:

We had to duck out of the way on a thunderstorm for about 10 minutes but, after that the course was empty and it actually cooled off about 15 degrees. :cool:

#30 ·
I would love to play Shoal Creek. :cool:

Can't say I would ever even consider becoming a member however, given their 'other' problems.

I have managed to play a few of the RTJT courses in your state.

My favorite has been Capitol Hill (Judge), followed by the Senator (Capitol Hill also) and Highland Oaks in Dothan.

As far as playing in California, there are a number of other courses (while not matched by Pebble) that are still worth playing. The obvious are Spyglass and Spanish Bay.

And there is of course, just about the toughest place on the planet to get on....Cypress Point!! :cool: :cool:

A few of the real value courses up north are Pasatiempo, La Purisma (near Santa Barbara), Ancil Hoffman (Sacramento), Harding Park (San Fran), The Links at Half Moon Bay and a bunch of others.

If you ever get to southern California, I can give you tips as I have played a whole slew of courses down there.

What my dream vacation would be though, is to spend a week at Bandon Dunes!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

#32 ·
I don't have near the golfing experience or skill yet as some of you older guys, but I do like to get out and play a little.

Been trying to convince my father for a while now to take me with him when he gets invited to play at Caves Valley here in Maryland for business. That would be the nicest course I will probably see. LOL

unless i come into money and can travel more

#34 ·
Exactly.

I started playing regularly when I was 30.

And becoming a golf addict, while living in Alaska.........is not the smartest thing in the world to do. :doh:

With the long winters, I did however become fairly good at indoor golf. :eek:

I could putt well and hitting into a screen, without worrying about where the ball was headed........... made me keep my head down. Something I fight in real golf. :(

Second Place in the First World Indoor Tournament of Champions.................was the pinnacle of my 'Indoor Career.' :D

If you Google Kalle Vainola (member of the first place team), you will see that he was a pretty good outdoor golfer too. Finnish amateur champion as well as playing the European Tour for a number of years. :cool:

And yes, that's my beard I referenced in the 'shaving thread.' LOL

Attachments

#37 ·
These simulators show a photo of the tee box and when you hit, they pick up the rotation of the ball (fade/draw) and tell you how far.......... and in what direction it traveled.

It then shows another photograph of where you would be on the course you're playing and............. you hit it again. :D

When you're on the 'green,' you have letters on the artificial turf to putt from and get it into the hole in the floor.

Although they certainly don't take the place of real golf, they are realistic enough that you can vastly improve your game.

A lot of the top teachers use them for instruction.

#39 ·
I agree.

Not to mention that if you put your clubs in the car all day, when it is -20........you better warm the driver up before you hit balls.

Those thin titanium faces tend to dent pretty easy if you don't. :(

#41 ·
What I meant was that it was MINUS 20 outside (where the clubs sat all day) and then bringing them indoors to play in a league.

I have actually played outside, when you didn't have to worry about losing your ball in a 'water' hazard. :doh:

You just had to account for the cart path like bounce............. off of the frozen pond. :D

On Edit: Myself and three other guys also played in the Iditarod Golf Tournament one year up in Wasilla.

They plowed 'fairways' on the lake and then put coffee cans in the ice for the hole.

I brought a couple of racquetball rackets so that we could follow the hole into the snow (next to the fairway)................and retrieve our balls. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.