Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Final Check-in: "Build" Parts Check In (Going all in!)

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  RescueF250 
#1 ·
Ok... I am going in a bit deeper that I expected, but I figure I dont want to do it twice so while its going under the knife (studs/delete) and since I have the best diesel guy in the area doing the work, I am thinking of making the following additional changes:
Goal
Want my '04 Excursion (85k miles) to perform as well as my wife's old Trailblazer SS AWD...1/4 mile - low 14's, 0-60 - low 5's with 20+ mpg highway fuel economy and rock solid reliability as it is the wife's DD and family-mobile (thus the conservative parts list below).

Here is what I am planning to do:
Parts on the truck now: 4" cat back, sct with Gearhead SRL tune...currently getting about 18mpg on the highway

Parts purchased (to be installed next week): ARP Studs, VR Gaskets, EGR delete, Garrett 3788vr turbo, Edge Insight CTS w/ Pyro

Parts under consideration: 175cc RCD injectors, Air Dog Fuel Pump/Filtration (will likely order tomorrow) and Cat-Delete (worried a bit about noise though...live in conservative sub)

I will update the tune for the final package (Innovative or Gearhead again)...thinking of also doing PHP FICM tune, but not completely sold that I'll see any benefits.

Ok...so for the guys that experience with these things (6.0 PSD's), what do you think? Will I get pretty close to my goal? Any potential reliability issues? F/E expectations reasonable? Performance expectations reasonable? Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: trying to get pretty close the the list that Rescue laid out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Id do the Airdog 150, some folks like the Airdog 2, but if it fails your stuck, airdog 150 you can hook your stock back up.

You might want to look into a fuel system as well besides just the airdog like a regulated return to open the rear of the heads or crossover line. 175 arent pulling alot of fuel but nice to have some bigger lines.

Also is yours an 04 and newer style or early 04 ? If its the 04 and newer I'd look into all the update OEM parts like stand tube, Turbo oil feed tube, redo the o-rings in your oil rail, Oil cooler while you have it apart, Oil cooler screen, also get the Coolant Filtration System got mine from Diesel Site, check the heads for flatness thats a big thing, ooo check your LPOP while your at it, make sure its not scored or eating the front cover in anyway. Check the whole HPOP fittings as well. If I think of anything else I'll post it up.

#5 ·
Rescue,

With all the questions that I have asked you, I forgot to ask you about your fuel economy with the 190's/3788/A.D....what did you get stock? What do you get now?

#3 ·
If you research ficm tuning you will find seat of pants gains but no numbers. Also after ficm tuning you find that some of the guys have different problems. Talk to Eric at Innovative or Doug at GoGo. I didn't think it was worth it in the end after doing my research.

The whistle is annoying at first but everyone gets used to it. When I first did my cat delete I asked what would take down the whistle. Hush Power got the most votes.

#6 ·
Last time I did a long trip I was getting about 18hwy towing. My miles arent correct cause of my tire size and my gear ratio is changed to I'll have to figure out better results. But I still cleared 400 miles on only 3/4 of a tank still had a 1/4 tank left, but that was being on the dyno and burning fuel there, so i'll see in the near future.

#8 ·
I would agree with Rescue on the pump. otherwise, carry a spare pump motor. It will be cheaper and easier than towing and waiting on a replacement to be shipped. I have had several failures with my FASS the past year and a half ive had it, bad bearings, metal shavings, internal shorts... with an innovative race tuned sct, intake and exhaust and the usuial stuff I was quicker than a buddies trailblazer ss (2wd) he ran a 15.0 and I ran 14.4. for injectors, pick a builder and keep your cores until you are sure they are right. I sent my good cores out right away and had issues with the 190s. you should be pretty quick with 175 s and the garrett turbo. I had a 62/70 and am thinking of trying the garrett next. Some people have had real good luck with aftermarket parts, some have not. just keep in mind that nothing will be as reliable or easy to get parts for as a stock truck. You can get a new stock injector from any ford dealership. it may take a few days to get a replacement injector from any builder.

#9 ·
Thanks guys for all the input/feedback. Here is what I have decided to go with:

- ARP Studs
- VR Gaskets
- EGR delete
- Garrett 3788vr turbo
- Edge Insight CTS w/ Pyro
- 155cc RCD injectors (decided to go smaller on advice from RCD...injectors and turbos are matched)
- Air Dog 150 Fuel Pump/Filtration
- Kitty-Delete
- Banjo Mod
- Matt SRL+

I dropped my truck off yesterday for the work to begin. After talking to the builder, I am a bit concerned. He recommeneded that for ultimate reliability I should have stayed with the stock injectors and the Powermax turbo...said he's seen a number of repeat 6.0 head gasket failures with the Powermax and bigger injector due to the increased cylinder pressure....mostly in guys who abuse their trucks (i.e. always on the skinny pedal and many 1/4 passes). I don't fit into that category but want to make sure that the truck is rock-solid reliable, hence the smaller injector updgrade and the slight turbo upgrade. Guess I'll have to hope for the best. Btw, my builder's wife has an '03 Ex that runs high 13's in the 1/4 with stock turbo/injectors...so I think I'll acheive the performance objectives of the truck...hopefully I'll get the reliability and f/e gains as well.

#10 ·
I dropped my truck off yesterday for the work to begin. After talking to the builder, I am a bit concerned. He recommeneded that for ultimate reliability I should have stayed with the stock injectors and the Powermax turbo...said he's seen a number of repeat 6.0 head gasket failures with the Powermax and bigger injector due to the increased cylinder pressure....mostly in guys who abuse their trucks (i.e. always on the skinny pedal and many 1/4 passes). I don't fit into that category but want to make sure that the truck is rock-solid reliable, hence the smaller injector updgrade and the slight turbo upgrade. Guess I'll have to hope for the best. Btw, my builder's wife has an '03 Ex that runs high 13's in the 1/4 with stock turbo/injectors...so I think I'll acheive the performance objectives of the truck...hopefully I'll get the reliability and f/e gains as well.
NOt busting your balls Earl but who might this be ?? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL thats funny the Powermax turbo hasnt been out that long maybe 2 or 3 months, I got mine when the first batch was released, and i've been the first that ive seen to push the powermax to where it is, so Im curious why this builder think everyone has blown HG's :blah::blah: LOLLOL

#12 ·
What lol how would a VGT have higher cylinder pressure over a non vgt ? Think about why you can spool a vgt sooner then a non vgt because the vanes can control pressure, a non vgt isn't controlled at all its control by exhaust flow which means more cylinder pressure is needed to build boost, also Hi boost vgt :lol: you don't have to worry anout that till you hit like above what the garrett does, you'll see good boost but this VGT is good up to 40 or so. Also cylinder pressure also is controlled in your tuning with timing etc, just because you slap a turbo on doesn't mean ur cylinder pressure goes up, sounds like this guy doesn't have a clue what he is talking about or is trying to sell a product n steer you away from something else. Sorry if the wording is messed up, writing on my crackberry

#13 ·
To be fair, he has a variety of experience with hi-hp diesel applications. He tunes some of the fastest diesels in the area. His personal race truck in a 1,000+ Cummins truck. By training, he is a Ford Diesel Tech. Thus I am thinking that he meant for true high hp applications.

#14 ·
Fair enough only reason why I say what I say cause most of the senior guys here know these 6.0s. Cause of the amount of time we put into it, I've played with a non vgt n vgt so I know the differences and driveability of each, listen to experience, I'd stick with a vgt like u are. Plus I have no problerms with mine n I plan to go bigger vgt in the near future

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.