Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

John Wood Tranny

13K views 89 replies 40 participants last post by  Denver 
#1 ·
I'm saving up right now for a John Wood tranny being that he's located closer to me on the west coast. I called bts 3 times and no one seems to answer. i tried calling beans to ask some ? about the bts tranny and left a message and no one ever returned my call. John called me back in a timely matter and answered my questions and was very knowledgeable which was greatly appreciated.

So i want to hear from people that have a john wood tranny and hear how they like them, and what tranny of his they have.

#3 ·
I have John's Towmaster trans in my Excursion. Got it a few years back and it's working flawlessly.

You'll be happy with John's product. He does more custom machining of hard parts in his trans than anyone building transmissions, and he does it all himself on his lathe.

It's just my opinion, but I think he builds the best 4R100 money can buy. When it comes time to replace the 4R100 trans in my F250 and my Lightning, John will be the only one considered.

Stewart

#6 ·
Wrong. People that know both transmissions know the scoop.

Stewart

#7 ·
To the OP,

I have been to John's shop, and still made the DRIVE to BTS. I just felt for MY hard earned money, BTS was a better choice for me.(I needed the vacation anyway)

Before this thread turns into another pissing match. Make you own mind up. I know what my BTS cost and what it can handle. I never priced out a JW, with knowing what it would need to handle.

Marc

#8 ·
I answered the post as a BTS dealer as the OP couldn't get in touch with BTS. Hindsight I should have just PM'd

Please don't take what I said as anything against John at all! I know John well and highly respect him. We have a business relationship.

He has 4 levels of trans builds and they are priced apon what he does to them based on the customers HP and usage. Please call him and discuss his builds or pricing.

Cary

#11 ·
Hey guys.How hard do the Jw and BTS trans shift? Will they break the tires loose on shifts.My homebuilt will but I always wondered if I set mine up to shift to hard.I am running stock injectors/tire size,and was told it was ok to run hard shifts on low horsepower trucks.

#12 ·
When I bought his VB, it came with a shifter plate that you could adjust for firmness. Do you want it to shift hard? If so, either of them should be able to do it. HOWEVER, please realize that your other components may not like it as much. Also, the chip can do some of that.

#13 ·
Both JW and BTS will adjust the VB's for your HP..I'd let them deside on how it shifts as said above hard shifts takes its toll on other parts.

#14 ·
I wasn't looking at buying a BTS or JW. I was just curious as to how firm they shift.Most builders go way to soft for my taste.My shifts are smooth and quick under light throttle and will break the tires loose hard on the 1-2.

#17 ·
A couple of issues back, Diesel Power visited John's shop and had a 3-4 pg write up on his builds if anyone is interested.

#18 ·
So just so I am set straight. BTS has a life time warrantee but JW does not?

#28 ·
John works alone (unless his sons there) so he cant always get to the phone. The shop is crazy hes got tranys all over the place. When hes out test driving a truck to adjust shift firmness to the customers liking there is nobody there (accept the dog) to answer the phone. Very few people have had the chance to see inside both BTS and JW trans for comparison. Its definitely an eye opener.

#33 ·
well i know i'm not putting another suncoast in mine.

#44 ·
I

If it weren't for these guys... Who also build quality transmissions, 80% of the site wouldn't know who BTS was.
You have absolutely got to be frickin kidding me, right????

Do you know how many of the now "tranny guys" have called Brian for advice over the years?
No, you obviously don't.

#42 ·
Sorry mikey i didnt want to make anyone mad I just wanted to give my opinion on the tranny. I had both trannys in the same truck with the same setup!! I know i have not made the same kind of power that some of the big guys have made but most people are not ever going to be able to make that power EVER!!! I know i am one of the few people that have been able to compare the two trannys on the same truck with the exact same set up!! So with that being said i feel that i have a pretty good dog in this fight.

#43 ·
i dont think that the tranny was tuned to the truck like the bts was. i had jw build a stage 2 for mine and i installed it and told him my goals. i know if he put it in and drove it and did what he does it would be different than just telling him over the phone and getting it delivered. kind of one of those live tuning sessions versus over the phone talk sessions.

#49 ·
Mikey I have a feeling that John and Brian know each other!!! I know you are a JW supporter but you are sorely mistaken if you dont think they have talked!!

#51 ·
Talking and giving advice are two very different things. So I guess I won't be sore hopefully. I don't even have a JW trans in my 6.4. John wood does hate forums, he doesn't need the business or publicity nor does he want it. That why he stopped posting here because of know it all's. I don't blame him. I don't know Brian so I can't speak about him other than to his good reputation. But Randy you are sorely mistaken if you believe Brian and John discuss trans building, they don't need to, they both know what they are doing.

#50 ·
I have talked with John several times a few years back when I bought Mikey's converter out of Barney. He basicly could care less what anyone else does or what they have going cause he is so busy so I highly doubt he shares secrets with other builders. Although he didnt know me from adam and told me a few years back he would sell me his parts if I installed them myself and didnt take them to a shop to have done. I was interested in doing my own build to learn and basicly because I like stuff like that.

He kinda keeps to him self as far as advertising and I think he hates forums. :hehe:

The Converter is still going strong Mike ! :D

#52 ·
Funny, Diesel power mag did a write up on John and detailed with photos some of his "tricks". If he'll let you watch him build your trans I don't think he's keeping anything a secret. He is a small shop in a very small town in the desert many, many miles from any big towns. And is as busy as a one armed paper hanger. That's all I got.

#53 ·
I think im going to have to be done with this as it has gotten way off track! JW and BTS are the 2 of the best tranny builders out there! Pick your poison and you will be happy!

#56 ·
You're obviously too old and senile to comprehend...

What I was stating was... PSN wouln't be here if not for sponsors. A LOT of guys aren't on any other forums, and thus, PSN is where they find out about BTS. It's really not that complicated.

I know when David started building transmissions.

Maybe you should try some reading comprehension classes. I mean, we all know you can spell Diesel Innovations, since you obviously google it hourly.

#57 ·
BTS was busy long before PSN started. And I am sure JW was as well.
Good grief.

And you would be wise not to knock experience, and the ones who have really and truly been around the block. There are a few of us who have been around since the beginning of this whole diesel craze. We do know how many of these places got their start and what they have been through over the years.

For the record, I didn't knock any tranny builder. I am simply saying that if you honestly think there hasn't been phone calls and questions asked, you are so wrong.
To say that BTS would not be around if PSN were not around is pretty much the most absurd thing I have ever heard. And, yes, I've been around and have heard some outlandish things. Your comment takes the cake.
Congratulations.

#64 ·
Not just people but John wood himself and daily LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.