Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowmaster exhaust install

9K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
I recently installed a Flowmaster 4 inch cat back exhaust with a Hushpower muffler.

Its a pretty easy straight forward process. You only need a few tools. Metric and standard impact sockets and an air impact. A chain wrench, sawzall, or metal cutting chopsaw if you have one, and WD40 or PB blaster.

First thing you want to do is spray the exhaust hangers down with the WD40 so the slide out of the factory rubber isolaters easily. Dont damage the rubber mounts as you need them to install the new exhaust. You also want to give all the exhaust clamps a squirt so that they break loose nice and easy.

Then you start by removing the old exhaust. I recommend having a helper around for the whole process. The muffler is heavy:hehe:

Start by crawling under the truck near the rear axle. With your sawzall. Cut through the factory exhaust at the bend right above the rear axle. Then remove that piece leaving the rubber isolater on the hanger in place.

Next loosen up all the exhaust clamps all the way up to the catalytic coverter. You may want to spray all the slip joints doing with penetrating oil prior to doing this it makes them slip a bit easier.

The next step is to remove the muffler. Have a helper around for this. Its quite heavy.:doh:

Once you have that done remove the remaining pipe all the way up to the Cat or delete pipe if you have one.

Once you get that done you are ready to install the new Cat Back system.

The first step is to slide the 3.5 inch to 4 inch pipe adapter on to the Cat or delete pipe whichever you may have. This pipe is notched to align with the nipple on the factory pipe.

I recommend spraying the joints on all the pipe with WD40 or whatever lube you prefer for assembly. The joints will slip together alot easier that way.

There are several different exhaust clamps included with this kit. With various hangers.

Depending on your trucks cab and bed configuration you may not use all of the clamps.

Once you have the adapter pipe in place the next step is to cut the intermediate pipe down to the size indicated in the instructions included with the kit. I used a metal cutting chopsaw to do it. For my supercab shortbed the instructions stated to cut 36.5 inches off the pipe.

When the cut is made. Make sure and either grind or file any burs off the pipe so they slide together nice and easy. Using the hanger clamps provided attach and hang the intermediate pipe. You can use the chain wrench to adjust the pipe to the proper position.

The next step is to hang and place the Hushpower muffler included in the kit. I recommend having a helper around for this. Its not the lightest thing in the world.

Again you can use the chain wrench to adjust the pipe as necessary for clearance and fit.

Once you have the muffler hung the next step is to hang the over axle pipe and adjust it as necessary. I had to twist mine to one side a bit due to the B&W gooseneck hitch in my truck.

After thats done hang and adjust the tailpipe.

Once you have everything hung go back through and check everything over for clearances and go ahead and take your impact and tighten up all the clamps.

Once you are this far head over to the fridge and grab your beverage of choice. You've earned it.

Start the truck listen for any vibrations or anything of the sort and make adjustments if you have to.

After that enjoy the new system. Take the truck for a drive and enjoy the sound.

To see if they have an exhaust system for you, check out this page on the Flowmaster website: Flowmaster Inc.

See less See more
#2 ·
Prior to the new install my truck had a cat delete pipe and a pipe fabbed to delete the factory ford muffler.

The new cut down on the turbo whistle quite a bit at idle. On hard accelaration (My father in law took a little bit of tread off my 35s. He hadnt driven an SCT tuned 6.0 before that day):hehe: The exhaust has a nice deep tone and you can hear the turbo rather nicely.

At idle the truck has a nice tone but is nice and quiet. my neighbors appreciate this since my job requires me to leave at random hours sometimes:hehe:

Cruising down the highway it sounds great:thumb: There's no drone in the cab at all. The exhaust has a nice deep sound to it.

All in all I'm very happy with the new system. The install was easy. Fit and finish were great. The only thing I would maybe change is the hangers. I like the nipple on the end of the factory hangers. It ensures the clamps won't slide off the factory isolators. The Flowmaster system doesnt have those.
But honestly thats just me nit picking.

With the new system the EGT's dropped about 50 degrees over the old factory straight pipe. If you had the factory muffler in place prior to install you would see a 100-150 degree drop in EGT's

The one thing I recommend doing is after about a week of driving crawl back under your rig and recheck the exhaust clamps and make sure they remained tight. I got about 1-2 more turns out of each clamp at that time.

I would recommend this system for anyone that wants an exhaust and doesn't want to mess with removing the factory cat or downpipe:thumb:

#3 ·
As far as tools needed to do the work An air impact and 9/16's socket. Sawzall with the metal blade of your choice, A chain wrench to make adjustments easier. And a whole bunch of WD40 or lube of your choice to make the pipes slide together nice and easy.

A metal cutting chopsaw is nice to insure your cuts are straight as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.