Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Transplant

14K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  duratothemax 
#1 ·
I have a 1949 pontiac that i'm building.I've been thinking about the 6.0 for the new powerplant! I haven't seen too many swaps online into old cars.My question is....What would be my biggest challenges, as far as getting it to run once it's sitting between the frame rails? I'm thinking the electronics will be the biggest challenge.Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Brian

#2 ·
Suspension will be your issue, that motor weighs damn close to 1000lbs, also ur trans, gonna need to cut the firewall to get correct fitment then you have to worry about all electronics your best bet find a donor truck to grab everything out of

#3 ·
For suspension I believe i'm gonna use an 93 or older S-10 frame,mainly for the better design and huge aftermarket.The tranny will be from the 6.0 doner truck too.I have to re-do the floors in the car anyways so i can make the tranny tunnel work.

#4 ·
Very interesting project. I would love to see some pics of the vehicle intended for the swap. My only question is, why a 6.0L diesel when there are plenty of gas engines out there to choose from, that would more than likely be a better choice.

#5 ·
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

I don't want to use a small block.I have a 454 sitting on the floor that could go in it but I'll get 18MPG at best.If i use a diesel i get Massive torque in stock form and i'll get excellent fuel economy.I drive the wheels off of my stuff so i want it to be reliable and fast and affordable to drive for years.I really wanted to use the Duramax because it's so quiet and this is a car not a truck,but the duramax is expensive even if i get a smashed up one at the auction.I love the 7.3 but it's too loud.The cummins is rediculously loud so thats out.So that leaves the 6.0.Read about this mustang,this is really what sold me on the idea.Look at performance vs fuel economy.....WOW

1994 Ford Mustang Duramax - Nitrous Express - Diesel Power Magazine

#8 ·
good luck post pics if you don't mind...... I'm thinkin about a 6.0 for my 63 chevy wagon. I'm doin it to be different and the 6.0 is what I'm most familiar with. Besides....... who would actually CHOOSE to have a dirtymax????:doh:hehe::shrug::shrug::badidea::badidea::nopics::nopics:

#12 ·
just kinda the way they route the wires, and the way the underhood fusebox is configured, and the way the engine harness is completely all self contained and separated from the rest of the front-end harness/underhood electrical accessories, as well as from the body harness. The color coordinating is really easy, there are 6 or 7 different discrete ignition hot circuits in the harness, but all those wires are colored the same pink color etc...

You would almost think that GM intended to make it super easy to convert the truck/SUV harnesses to standalone.

Im assuming its like this because the electrical architecture is common for so many GM vehicles. The body harnesses for the escalade, denali, tahoe, suburban, silverado, sierra, duramax, gas are all basically the same. Its only the engine harnesses themselves that are different. So basically at the factory GM puts the same body harness in every single truck/SUV regardless of engine, and then just selects the appropriate engine harness (for whatever engine happens to be going in that truck/SUV) and simply plugs the two together in the underhood fuse box.

Thats why its soooo easy to put a duramax in an escalade or suburban for example. You dont need to hack/splice any wiring and the entire engine/trans swap is literally plug and play.

ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.