Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

This doesn't look right.... WTF!

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Mdub707 
#1 ·
So I was crawling around under the truck today, starting to mount up some of my vegistroke stuff. I started looking at the rear of the heads scoping out my plan of attack for the fuel line banjos that attach to the rear of the heads when I noticed something didn't look quite right with my drivers side manifold...

Here's the passenger side... all looks normal

Ok and here is the drivers side... does that gasket look a little out of place to anyone else? Maybe it's correct, I don't know, it's hard to say without seeing it off of the truck, but my guess would be it's not even close. Is there even supposed to be a gasket like that in there?

Your thoughts? Truck is an 06, has 64,000 miles on it, has been in to a dealer for headgaskets twice, and they never seem to get it right. (installed ARP's last time and they lasted the shortest amount of time), and it takes them at least three weeks to do the job. What the heck happened here? I know the last time it was in, I got billed an extra 2 hours of labor for removal/installation of my aftermarket exhaust, on top of the warranty work, and I thought to myself at that point, why did they need to remove the exhaust if they just took the cab off? Is it possible they took the manifold off for something too? Or am I just wrong here....:pointlaugh:

See less See more
#4 ·
I've already left the dealership I had been taking it to. Yes taking the manifolds off sounds right, so my guess is they just charged me the 1 or 2 hrs of labor just to be a d!ck about it. It's not like it was any more work for them to undo an MBRP downpipe than it is a stock one.

They definitely didn't deck anything. The first time the gaskets went, they replaced one head because it was out of spec, installed the studs and sent me on my way after 3 weeks and 4 days. Then about 1 month later it started puking coolant again and did so for about a year until they failed in a hard way and started blowing smoke out the stacks. The dealer was completely useless in between this time. I had brought it in several times complaining of various issues and nothing ever got fixed. When it finally failed like this, I had to tow it in, and they told me they were taking my ARP's out, and they were not going to fix it again. I'm glad they fixed it, but at the same time I think most of it was their fault. I wont really get into it, but I will say I DO NOT bring it to this same dealer anymore. I have a much more local place I bring it, and they've been pretty helpful so far.

My question was just wondering what in the hell that gasket is and how it got there.... Obviously the tech had to of seen this!?

#8 ·
:whs:

The exhaust manifolds should have no gaskets from the factory...the tech who TRIED to repair your truck prob. couldn't get the exhaust manifold to stop leaking so he put a gasket in it to seal it up...Ford does make exhaust manifold gaskets for 7.3 and 6.0 trucks when the surface between the head and manifold are to warped to seal. I would bet you $1,000,000 that's what the extra time was charged to you for....I would be raising HELL with that dealer....I would contact your Regional Ford Rep. No dealer wants a phone call or worse a visit from that guy....

#7 ·
Except the gasket that is under that manifold isn't even close to being in line with ANYTHING. The top part of the gasket is clearly above the top of the manifold and the bottom of the gasket looks like it runs through the middle of the manifold. All of the holes in between the manifold ports don't line up with the freeze plugs or anything for that matter...

Is this standard to do if there is a leak on the manifolds, cause now that you mention it that last port on the passenger side manifold looks like it's slightly leaking. I swear sometimes they are doing this to me on purpose!

Is it possible they installed the wrong gasket, or the right one upside down or something?

#9 ·
The warranty paperwork clearly says the labor was for:

"Extra time needed to remove and install customers aftermarket exhaust system to complete repairs"

I think they put this on there to cover their own rear ends. They told me before they even started work on it that I'd be lucky to get it covered under warranty if an inspector came out, because I had stacks and gauges. I think they were really nervous about the inspector coming out and seeing that ARP's had been put in under warranty, which is why they took them out as fast as they could first thing.

All and all, I am DONE with this dealership. I don't even want to go back there to have them fix ANYTHING, not even something they messed up. If the gasket is an issue, I will bring it to my local dealer here. It's still under warranty so there should be no issues getting it fixed at any dealer right? At least that's how it's supposed to be. My new service manager thinks my stacks are cool and always asks how my truck is running....

I just wanted to get the opinion of some of the guys on here who have worked on these motors more in depth than I have, and see what ya'll had to say.

#11 ·
A good gasket will not hurt anything, and I have seen them buckle like that where they hang out in space and get wet. Sorry to hear about the crap repair, but I don't think I would break it loose for that. Now the passenger side looks like it is leaking and the hot gasses will erode the mating surface.

#12 ·
Ok that's all I was wondering. It just looks really out of place there, but as long as it's nothing to worry about... then F it. It just doesn't even look like it's supposed to be there. Looks terrible.

#13 ·
The exhaust manifold gaskets are MLS kinda like the head gaskets, if you look you can see the distorted layer and there is another layer behind that laying flat. they look just like mine (I just finished a headgasket/ARP job on mine) The distortion is likely due to heat. those are metal gaskets not organic like most gassers. the part of the gasket under the flange looks good in the pictures so I wouldn't worry about it.

#14 ·
There is a TSB regarding exhaust manifold gaskets on these engines. Here it is:

TSB
05-13-9 DIESEL EXHAUST SMELL IN CAB - 6.0L ENGINE

Publication Date: June 22, 2005

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2006 F-Super Duty
2004-2006 E-Series

ISSUE:
Some vehicles equipped with a 6.0L engine may exhibit a diesel odor in the cab.

ACTION:
It may be necessary to replace the exhaust manifold gasket. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Start the engine and warm it to normal operating temperature.
Remove the exhaust pressure (EP) sensor.
NOTE: SOME BUBBLING OF MOISTURE/SOOT BETWEEN THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD AND HEAD WHEN THE ENGINE AND MANIFOLD ARE COLD IS NORMAL. ONCE THE ENGINE AND MANIFOLD ARE AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE, THEY SHOULD BE SEALED.

Using the Rotunda Smoke Machine (218-00001) induce smoke into the EP tube. Inspect for leaks around the exhaust manifolds and y-pipe. If a leak is found at the exhaust manifold, replace only the exhaust manifold gasket that is leaking.
NOTE: EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKETS ARE NOT REUSABLE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5C4Z-9448-A Exhaust Gasket

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
051309A 2004-2006 Econoline 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gasket, Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Right Exhaust Manifold (Do Not Use With 9430A) 1.9 Hrs.
051309B 2004-2006 Econoline 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gasket Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Left Exhaust Manifold (Do Not Use With 9430A) 1.6 Hrs.
051309C 2004-2006 Econoline 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gaskets Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Both Exhaust Manifolds (Do Not Use With 9430A) 2.6 Hrs.
051309D 2003-2006 Super Duty 2003-2005 Excursion 4X2 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gasket Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Right Exhaust Manifold (Do Not Use With 9430A) 1.9 Hrs.
051309E 2003-2006 Super Duty 2003-2005 Excursion 4X2 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gasket Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Left Exhaust Manifold (Do Not Use With 9430A) 1.2 Hrs.
051309F 2003-2006 Super Duty 2003-2005 Excursion 4X2 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gaskets Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Both Exhaust Manifolds (Do Not Use With 9430A) 2.5 Hrs.
051309G 2003-2006 Super Duty 2003-2005 Excursion 4X4 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gasket Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Right Exhaust Manifold (Do Not Use With 9430A) 1.9 Hrs.
051309H 2003-2006 Super Duty 2003-2005 Excursion 4X4 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gasket Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Left Exhaust Manifold (Do Not Use With 9430A) 1.6 Hrs.
051309I 2003-2006 Super Duty 2003-2005 Excursion 4X4 6.0L: Install Exhaust Manifold Gasket Includes Time To Diagnose Using Smoke Machine: Both Exhaust Manifold (Do Not Use With 9430A) 2.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9430 14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2005 Ford Motor Company

For what it's worth, any time I have exhaust manifolds removed from one of these vehicles for whatever, I re-install it with a gasket. Removal of the driver side cylinder requires exhaust manifold removal to clear the dipstick tube, while removing the passenger side doesn't. This could explain why there is a gasket on the driver side only, and not the passenger side, if it matters.

#15 ·
when I did my ARP install, I had them install the manifold gaskets i provided...mine was bubbling between the head and the manifold like the bulliten said.

#16 ·
Mine had em on there the first time I pulled my engine. I figured they came with them. So I replaced them when I reinstalled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.