Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

F1 Breaking in Is this Danny?

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  vcassens 
#1 ·

This end is the good part.

#2 ·
Anyone who has been to a F1 race will agree, there is no describing what those things sound like in person. Speakers do them zero justice.

#5 ·
My favorite motorsport! And I hear they are building a dedicated race track in San Antonio, due to open for 2012 season. If you have not seen a race, check it out. 18000 rpm motors, enough downforce to drive on a ceiling at 70 mph, 5 gravities under braking, 5 gravities cornering.

#6 ·
Tons of brazillians and all the rest waving flags all over so you can't see shi#. Standing in the aisle's not letting you through. I believe I will watch it on television. I love the cars too but them bastages are friggin rude!!! I have been to indy for the f1 race and would never pay another dime to go. Just my .02.:mad:

#7 ·
I have went to indy 2 times both for free and sat right at the track and as said the speakers do no justice we also had one in our shop at school when I was at lincoln tech and there is no way I can discibe the sound in a shop

#11 ·
This is the last season I could find information for a Ferrari;

Ferrari F2007 review:
The F2007 is the 53rd single-seater built by Ferrari, at Maranello, specifically to compete in the Formula 1 World Championship.

The project, known internally as the 658, represents the Scuderia's interpretation of the technical regulations that apply for 2007, with changes principally concerning safety, through the introduction of more stringent front and rear crash tests and the addition of a composite material structure to provide lateral protection to the sides of the driver. These modifications have led to a significant increase in the weight of the car, in the region of just under ten kilogrammes.

The F2007 chassis has been significantly modified when compared to the 248 F1. The design was revised to accommodate a new front suspension that represents a major conceptual innovation, mainly in terms of aerodynamics. The shape of the side-pods and their openings are also revised, based on modifications to the cooling system, which also implies exits for the radiators on the upper part of the bodywork, while the engine air intake is also substantially different. The car has a longer wheelbase than its predecessor. The rear of the car is much narrower, taking advantage of the more sculpted shape of the gearbox housing, which again this year is made from carbon fibre. The gearbox itself, which is still mounted longitudinally, is fitted with an innovative quick-shift system (seven plus reverse). The rear suspension is similar to that on the 248 F1, but a significant development programme is planned in this area, in order to get the most out of the system, based on making progress in understanding the behaviour of the 2007 tyres. The front and rear aerodynamic configuration is also expected to change considerably before the start of the World Championship. The position of the rear view mirrors seen on the 2006 car remains unchanged and the same goes for the exhaust system.
In accordance with the regulations that come into force this year, the basic structure of the engine remains the same as the one homologated at the end of last season. Therefore, the 056 engine continues as a load bearing member and is again mounted longitudinally. Based on what is permitted in the regulations, the following modifications have been carried out to the engine signed off with the FIA in October 2006:

the combustion chamber, the valves, the inlet and exhaust chambers, all aimed at optimising the torque curve, given the engine rev limit of 19,000 rpm;
the piston, the piston pin and the piston cooling jets to aim for the best possible reliability when running at the limit of 19,000 rpm;

the fluid systems (water and oil) and components to facilitate the integration of the 056 into the new car.

As usual, during the design and development phase of the complete car, the technical partners played an important role. A significant part was played by Shell in terms of fuel and lubricants, by the Fiat Research Centre in the use of simulation systems and by Brembo in developing the braking system. As is now traditional, a great deal of attention was paid to the performance and optimisation of the materials used, to the design stage and to quality control, striving to maximise the performance level and to ensure the highest possible standard of safety.

Aldo Costa, Head of the Chassis Department of the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, and Gilles Simon, Head of the Engine Department, started a series of meetings with the press on the day of the preview of the new F2007.

Aldo Costa: "The methodology of the project and the development of the car has been under the sign of continuity. Last year we adopted an aggressive approach and this year we will work with the same rhythm in development as in 2006. This was our aim and we hit our target.

The aerodynamics have been completely remodelled; above all the front suspension, the air inlets on the main body and the rear axle are tighter and more tapered, to benefit also from the new architecture of the gear box. We worked a lot on the chassis considering the new crash tests, which are much more severe. With satisfaction we can say that we have reached excellent results in terms of safety. The suspension has been revised also under the aspect of new tyres, while the gear box has a new quick shift system, which will avert time loss during gear-changes. This system lowers the time of gear change, works for all gears and in every condition. We have also modified the disposition and the inclination of the radiator. As far as the rear suspension is concerned, it is continuing to evolve.

At the chassis department there are around 200 people working: an exceptional and enthusiastic group. They work with determination and respect; without a doubt producing great team work. Obviously I can't name everybody, but I have to mention Nikolas Tombazis, our Chief Designer; Tiziano Battistini, Head of the Technical Department, John Iley, Head of Aerodynamics, supported by Marco De Luca; Marco Fainello, Head of the Car Performance Division; Simone Resta, Head of the R&D Department and last but not least Davide Terletti, responsible for the crash tests.

Today's car is the one that will debut and has the same wings as the one in 2006. The car, which will go to start at the first GP, will have optimized wings, while this is just a provisional version. The F2007 is however definitive in its structure.

In constructing and developing this race car the FIAT research centre is of very high importance, as it gives us a huge amount of support. We have worked a lot with the simulator they developed over the last couple of years and we will continue on that road."

CHASSIS
Carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite structure
Ferrari longitudinal gearbox
Limited-slip differential
Semiautomatic sequential electronically
controlled gearbox - quick shift
Number of gears: 7 +Reverse
Ventilated carbon-fibre disc brakes
Independent suspension, push-rod activated
torsion springs front and rear
Length: 4545 mm
Width: 1796 mm
Height: 959 mm
Wheelbase: 3135 mm
Front track: 1470 mm
Rear track: 1405 mm
Weight with water, lubricant and driver: 600 kg
Wheels (front and rear): 13"

Gilles Simon: "As according to the rules the engine 056 has remained the same. But we were able to adapt it to the rev limits of 19,000 rpm. We have revised the combustion chamber, the valves, the crank shaft and the piston, to optimize the available output before arriving at the rpm limit. Further we have worked on the integration of the engine into the car: the water and oil inlets have been revised, as has the positioning of some accessories, to adjust to the very compact rear axle of the 658.

We have collaborated strongly with Shell, and we are continuing to work on the fuel development. As far as the fuels are concerned we have been continuously progressing. The lubricants have been helping us for a long time in terms of reliability, while from March onwards we also want to work on bettering the performance.

On the 1st March we will hand over a sealed engine, to which we can't do anything else. We will then try to work on the accessories, the air inlet and, as I just mentioned, the fuel and the lubricants."

ENGINE
Type: 056
Number of cylinders: 8
Cylinder block in cast aluminium: V 90
Number of valves: 32
Pneumatic distribution
Total displacement: 2398 cm3
Piston bore: 98 mm
Weight: > 95 kg
Magneti Marelli digital electronic injection
Magneti Marelli static electronic ignition
Fuel: Shell V-Power ULG 62
Lubricant: Shell SL-0977

#17 ·
Yeah but how many hours (or minutes) will that top fuel engine run non stop with out blowing up?

#20 ·
f1 vs Nitro.....

Two totally different sounds...but each indescribable to someone who has never heard them in person.

I have been a F1 fan since the early 70's. Have been to F1 races at Watkins Glenn, Monaco, Spa, Silverstone, Montreal and Indy. Besides the sound, the most unbelievable thing is the accelleration and braking!!

By the way....for you NASCAR fans..........F1 cars make those hillbilly rides sound like lawn tractors!!:poke:LOL

#22 ·
f1 vs Nitro.....

Two totally different sounds...but each indescribable to someone who has never heard them in person.

I have been a F1 fan since the early 70's. Have been to F1 races at Watkins Glenn, Monaco, Spa, Silverstone, Montreal and Indy. Besides the sound, the most unbelievable thing is the accelleration and braking!!

By the way....for you NASCAR fans..........F1 cars make those hillbilly rides sound like lawn tractors!!:poke:LOL
LOL:eek:wned:LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.