Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Seventh Gear!

19K views 135 replies 31 participants last post by  Jngreen 
#1 ·
Finally got the GV installed and took it for a test spin. Its gonna be sweet.

1125 RPM @ 60 MPH and it still will out-accelerate some cars.

475 degrees (pre)

Got a few issues to work out on one drive shaft but I should be getting used to it by the end of the week.

I'll start re-baselining it the following week. In set the alignment at exactlt zero camber and zero toe-in, and chamfered off my swelled front brake pads, so I have to reset the baseline for a fair test.

#6 ·
how did you do the drive lines? I have been wanting to do this to my 450 so i can actually do 75-80 mph and get some decent mpg highway. Do you have any pics of the GV in? Where did you find the unit any ways?

#9 ·
Most cities have drive line shops that can fabricate and balance drive shafts.

I ordered the unit from GV direct.

Yes, I'm 4x2 and that made for a more expensive and difficult installation as the overdrive is "divorced" - that is hanging out by itself and requires two drive shafts. 4x4 installations bolt at the back of the transfer case. I'll post a least a couple of pix shortly.

#10 ·
well that answers some questions for me:postwhore2:
cant wait to see initial results!!!

#11 ·
So i can put a gears vendor on y 4x4 and it will get lower RPM's? I roll 2000rpm at 65

#22 ·
Sorry about taking so long with results.

Had some alignment problems & the truck was trying to shake itself apart. This divorced gearbox setup has a lot of scope for misalignment.

Should start testing again this weekend.

#28 ·
There is an enabling switch installed on the dash and a button shift switch on the stick.

When I start up I turn on the enable switch.

I shift normally up to sixth, then I punch the clutch and the shift button and if I'm going over 44 MPH, the GV engages. The GV will stayengaged coming down as low as 22 MPH, but my procedure is to disengage the GV first. No particular reason - mostly to help me remember to do it.

I'll try to get a pic.

#29 ·
Ah okay, then after your in sixth do you need to start over rowing gears with it enabled?

This thing sounds neat, I really would love to get one someday just trying to picture all the shifting. :)

#31 ·
rpenner:
Nope. Once you arein sixth, you clutch it and hit the button and bingo! seventh gear.

SecondaryChaos:
Its electric over hydraulic.

No numbers yet, but judging by EGT, this puts me pretty near the optimum. How do I know? Most very high MPG vehicle get very touchy at peak performance - like a racer. Not bad on 60 MPH roads but on the slab I have to use the pedal rather than cruise, or I find myself at 750 degrees on an overpass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.