Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

99 F350 12v

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  doubledoor 
#1 ·
I am at a cross road on what to do with my truck. It is a bone stock 99.5 f350 cc lb six speed, in desperate need of more power. The truck has 127,000 miles on it and is in emaculate condition. I am looking at doing about $3500 in performance mods to the powerstroke. But in the end I still worry about reliability of the engine because this is the truck that needs to run when all else fails. I would really like to get a common rail but I think that might be out of my price range alittle.

So what would you guys do? Put a 12V in it and mod that or just put the money in the powerstroke? In the end I am looking for about 350 hp in either engine. I will be doing all of the work myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jordan

#3 ·
You should keep the powerstroke. 350HP is not a hard # to hit. There are 600+HP DD running around. You could probably hit yo goal with a set of stage one injectors and a custom tuned chip You will probably want a turbo cuz the stocker may not live long with the stage ones. Some more exsperiance guys can give you info on a exsact set up for yo needs.

Bump.

#4 ·
Id just get a tuner exhaust, intake, gauges an drive it until it dies. If you really think youll be happy at 350hp? I know I got tired of 300hp pretty quick. Or if your really gun ho just do the swap and for the $ you would pay to get the 7.3 to 350hp you could have 500hp in the 12v. Also, selling a low milage, perfectly good working 7.3 on the open market could pay for nearly 1/2 the cost of the swap.
In the end its what YOU want. Most people agree that the 7.3 is a reliable engine. Most people also agree that a 5.9 CTD in a Ford Superduty is about the best diesel truck you can have.

#5 ·
You would be better off building your 7.3. By the time you buy the motor and the conversion parts youll be well over your budget.

heres what I would do.
stage 2s 1600.00
garrett 38r 1450.00
chip 450
springs 90
push rods 200
bts valve body not sure how much those cost.

#7 ·
I guess its not the horsepower mark as much as I want more towing power. I think the truck performs great without my 24 foot enclosed trailer behind it. It is a slug with it attached. My friends 05 cummins 2500 left me in the dust on the highway and he had two cars in his 28 foot trailer.

#14 ·
He also has between 75-100hp more than you do stock, on top of much more efficient injection system technology.

I would get 200 hybrids and a 38R, intake/exhaust/tunes, and you would easily hit 350-400hp and have a great tow vehicle. If you still have a stock clutch you will have to also replace that at some point.

Dave

#8 ·
3500 would no be my budget for the 12v. 3500 is what I added up when I put together a list of mods I needed to do to the truck. They are as follows:

6 position chip
ATS COMPRESSIOR HOUSING
4"EXHAUST
DIESELITES CPR FUEL SYSTEM AND PRE PUMP FILITER AND LINES
COOLANT BYPASS
OIL CROSS OVER LINE
1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING AND OUTLET FLANGE
NON EBV PEDESTAL
MAYBE A 6.0 INTERCOOLER
AND GAUGES
If there ends up being an egt problem I will get a water injection kit witch is also figured into the total price of parts. Constructive critisism is more than welcome.

#17 ·
i have a 97 and i have been told that with stage 1s, a ADR HPOP, custom tunes, and a electric fuel system i could see 350 if the tranny held. all that only costs roughly 2000, say 2400 as a safe number. throw in a HD clutch to hold the power, like what 6-700 more, and your probably gonna hit it. and a SD has more stock power than a OBS and makes more power with just those simple mods.

#16 ·
Get a good chip, exhaust and gauges and it will pull anything you want. I just bought a 6 spd. and its pulled everything I want great. I towed about 6000 lbs. this past weekend in my 80 DD tune from north carolina to alabama and ran 75 to 80 mph the whole way and I never had to downshift on any hills. It pulled great. It maintained those speeds on all the hills, never had to slow down and it never got to hot egt's.

#19 ·
Do the swap! You will be happier in the end. I pull a 33' fifth wheel and I get hot going up hills and have to slow down. :ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.