Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Has anyone broke a front diff yet?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  stroker4life 
#1 ·
I was pulling the other weekend an i think my front diff broke. I think the pinon or ring. Hubs work fine i can rotate the front axel and the tranfercase works also. But there is no power to the wheels tho. I just havnt heard many things with the front ends having issues but i guess there is always a few cases.

#2 ·
i have seen hubs break but not a diff in the new trucks, but thats just me..... you sure its not a hub?... put the hubs in and try and turn the axles that will let ya know for sure.... but you could have toasted a diff i suppose i have seen older trucks do it

#3 ·
Pulling? Like in A SLED?,, competition?,,, hey,, if that's what you were doing,,, as Forrest Gump said,, SH!T HAPPENS!

#4 ·
I just did one pull off and there was a sound i was told i couldnt hear it cuz i was inside but anyways i jacked the truck up an all and hubs locked an everything rotates but the drive shaft spins and the front axle dont move. So i guess i stripped the pinon. Been driving like nothing happend but when the crops come off im going to need it.

#5 ·
I broke a dana 60 in the mud truck it broke the pinion where it stepped down at the bearing. It was the same deal wheels would turn hubs lock but drive shaft would not turn the front end. It was not cheap to fix.

#6 ·
just cuz the axle spins doesnt mean the hub locks, my truck broke both front hubs, but the axle would turn. The hubs come out easy T27 torx takes out the 3 screws and a screwdriver. do that first, i would put money on it its the hubs

#7 ·
I hope its that but i doubt it. Since the drive shaft spins and the axel dont even try (the u-joints stay still).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.