Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Cummings swap question?

5K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Adavel 
#1 ·
How much would it cost, roughly, to swap a 5.9 into my 06?

#3 ·
:whs: Assuming we're talking about a 5.9 Cummins. I have no idea what a Cummings is.

And 10k is the starting point, if you're going to mod it or have someone else do the work, it's going to be more.

Dave

#4 ·
your swapping a "cummings" in then I'd prolly let someone else do the work. So your looking at a considerable bit more than 10 grand.

#6 ·
Depends how you do it. If you do the work yourself and shop around for used parts you can do it for considerable less. Buying a complete donor truck and parting it out after you take what you need aswell as selling your old motor (assuming its still good) could get the swap done under $5k.

#8 ·
It may cost more if its a common rail. If its a 12 valve it shouldnt cost more than 10-15k doing it yourself.

#10 ·
We can install a 6.7L cummins in where a 6.0 was for $18,000-$20,000. It requires a smarty programer and with the 6.7 that will get you up over 450RWHP.
Op said 5.9:confused:

#13 ·
Where in the world are you guys coming up with this 10-15k if you do the work yourself? I did a common rail and NV4500 in my Ford myself for a total of less than $3k. One thousand of that was the South Bend clutch.

#15 ·
Bought a wrecked truck that had everything I needed including radiator, intercooler, even swapped the hydro boost just for the sake of doing it. Sold my original engine, transmission, and what was left of the donor truck to offset the cost.

Wrecked trucks are out there cheap, you just have to be willing to wait for a good deal instead of jump on the first one you find. I was looking for a VE pump cummins for my swap and just happened to find a good deal on the common rail truck so I went that way instead.

Attachments

#18 ·
Well does the OP have a Cherry picker/Load leveler/Floor jacks? Engine Stand? Does the "wrecked 5.9" need rebuilt? Cummins rebuilds and machining are not cheap. Does the engine need a KDP? Does the OP have all the mounts already from say Destroked or Ford Cummins. Does the OP have all the tools and a place to do the swap? Is the trans your using up to the task of tuned Cummins? If its an auto then chances are no, and its gonna need to be built. These are just a few of the questions that are not answered and why you get such a variety of answers. Your situation is different than everyone else's.
If I tell you I could do it for $2500 and it ends up costing you $8,000 your probably not gonna be happy with me. If I tell you its gonna cost $10,000 and it ends up costing only $5,000 thats a much better scenario and you dont endanger your personal finances.

#21 ·
How do you like the 5r110? I always felt like that would make a good trans to put behind a 12v, and was it any harder on the newer truck vs, say a 7.3 or an OBS?

#23 ·
I have no doubt you do a nice job for 10-15, I'm talking about when you do it yourself there's no reason it should cost that much.

#25 ·
I'm in CA & have a 04 5.9L Cummins w/ 105K complete running w/ TCS Flat face torque converter & input shaft, destroked adapter plate, destroked flexplate, motor mounts, A/C lines, shortened driveshaft, & various other parts for the swap was in a 03 F350 longbed that was totaled.
I can send video of it running on a pallet send your email. I'm in lower CA Will deliver to CA, AZ, NV, or can get it ready for shipping that you arrange. You would need to buy the tranny controller but what I have could get you pretty close even the newer style mounts are in place for the shroud.
If someone is looking to do this swap this is a cheap way to go. I want this thing out of my shop, I even have a spare tranny that was working great when taken out but that would only be worth it to someone who wasn't shipping.

Dave
6000.00 OBO

#28 ·
OK, i know to each his own, but my question is why would you do the swap. If your gonna spend that kind of money why not just put it into the 6.0, for 10-15k you could have a nasty 6.0, less work too

#29 ·
One question have you ever owned a boat? It would seem by your question you have not. Yet you are still in the swap/conversion area trying to make points.
The 6.0L is a truck boat no matter what you do. If you're using it like a truck should be used it is a bottomless hole. The cummins is not. No matter what you do there are not enough head studs in the 6.0L block design.
I know one group that loves them, private mechanics.

Dave

#30 · (Edited)
no its far from a money pit if you build it right, matter of fact mine has over 100k trouble free miles and it has been tuned over 50k of that, with stock everything up until the last 10k thats all it had was a tuner. And i have been far from "easy" on it. And there are many other 6.0's on here that are not so called "money pits" and are very reliable.

To the OP, sorry for the derail

#31 ·
And on top of that the OP never stated his reasons and just wanted a ballpark on how much it would cost and i was not trying to make a point, only ask a question and give my opinion from my experience.

#32 ·
Well you have been lucky with yours, count your blessings. But there is a reason besides smog that the 6.0L is gone, then 6.4L now 6.7L (hopefully good) so in 8 years three engines yeah they must have been great for that to happen in such a short time. Plus I don't see anyone putting a 6.0L in boats or much else for that matter :poke:.
I was like you (in denial) with mine for 7 years but she'll break your heart & kick you in the teeth when you're down sooner or later just a matter of time & if you tow heavy it'll be sooner than later. I'm only giving my opinion from experience & I've been around at least seven 6.0L's personally that have all had issues so not just opinions but facts.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.