Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Twin Turbos

20K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  CanadianRedneck 
#1 ·
I see Innovative is selling a twin turbo set up. Is anyone out there running these? I am just wondering how they perform.

#5 ·
Careful here...Shawn's had his turbos way longer then then the amount of time Innovative started releasing their twin turbos....if anything, Shawn "Helped" with the turbo choice, and design maybe, but, I'm not 100% sure on that either....Tyler was also in the picture...literaly.LOL

I know that Shawn's turbo's appear to work alright...:poke:

And Eric seems to know what he's doing when it comes to the programming end of things...:D

So...any feed back on Innovative's twin set ups?:confused:

#3 ·
PSSST. *right side of banner, middle truck*

#9 ·
The only similarities between Shawn's twins, which are also on our race truck, and the twins we are selling, is the same brand turbo's are used.

Shawn's, Tylers, and my truck have significant changes to the top end of the engine to fit the turbo's the way that Shawn and Tyler intended. Quick spool up and power were the main considerations with their kit. The results speak for themselves.

The twin kit we sell are made to bolt on directly with only minor modifications. Considerations were ease of installation, ease of service, and the least amount of permanent changes as possible. There's nothing easy about installing twins on 6.0L, but a kit like this does ease the pain a lot over building your own.

Nate used this kit on his truck at Diesel Power Challenge and it performed very well, especially for a last minute install. The return oil lines are being changed on the kit and the addition of an external wastegate is recommended for race setup's.

#11 ·
I'll post pictures of the kit when I get home.
It's a strong performer and I can't wait to get it back with the new oil lines and wastegate installed.

#12 ·
here's two shots.. I'll get more once we have the truck back together and at it's peak.
As Eric said- we'd recommend an external gate on the kit and the install isn't the easiest, but it isn't the hardest.
The truck drives well, once both turbos are lit, it pulls very strong. We didn't make big numbers at the DPC like we were hoping, but the wastegate on my 64/70 wasn't opening properly so that kept our numbers down, even with spray. It made 724rwhp/1272tq corrected. and the dyno at TS is VERY hard to load. but as I said, we'll re-dyno and be dialing BB in a bit tighter.
I'll have new numbers from Eric's dyno in a matter of weeks when we dial it in.
It's one mean street machine and there isn't a single sound that is as impressive at an S480 at spool!

I'll be getting some professional shots done by my friend Bill soon enough, so I'll have much better pictures to post, but here's a few to hold you guys over.
A bit dark, but you can see the 64/70 up front and the S480 is tucked by the firewall.

Nothing like piping visible from a distance.

EDIT: photobucket was giving me issues and it seems that doug doesn't like hotlinking from his site lol
click and see... sorry it isn't just up here.

#16 ·
glad the link worked- he it is from photobucket to save everyone the click.

TT engine shot:

Hood shot from distance:

#27 ·
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

#18 ·
they used the turbo sizing from us, but we had nothing todo with that rat's nest of a setup. Eric's race truck that runs 10's in the 1/4 was completely setup by us. innovatives setup is a bolt in kit that anyone can install. the nice part is you can start with the towing setup, if later on you want to up grade, all you have todo is send the turbo's out to be modded, none of the pipeing changes.

the s480 they use doesn't use the upgraded race cover, its the 80mm wheel machined into the factory s400 cover. look forward to seeing new numbers from nate(congrats on a good showing at diesel power)

#22 ·
lol ive never seen a turbo setup that didnt look like a rats nest on a 6.0 lol

yes industrial sent us the wrong s480 they sent on with the race cover on it thus the reason we later found out that dougs manifold wouldnt work cause its about a 1/2 inch bigger that stock at the top and even with the correct cover on the turbo you still have to grind about a 1/4 inch for the turbo to fit properly

#19 ·
Thanks for the congrats shawn! I tried my best given our circumstances. Shawn's right for sure, I've had my truck next to Eric's race truck and there is a visible difference between the two kits and their lay outs.
Shawn, Industrial actually sent my S480 with the race cover. finding a boot for that thing so the air intake will fit is not too easy lol
But yes, the kit is normally made with the standard 480 and cover. Also, like you said, this kit is nice for the ease of switching turbos with similar piping depending on what you're trying to achieve, race, tow, pull, etc.
Once I get the truck back I'll have more seat time and a deeper review for everyone who's interested. It definitely makes power and even before we had the wastegates set up like we will have, I was seeing boost as easy, if not a bit quicker than a stock turbo set up. So it works, and with some of the tweaking we're going to apply, this will be a mean street animal

#21 ·
I didn't have the pipe on correctly originally and just left the strap so the pipe wouldn't blow off during the competition. Once I was done competing, I took it off and had no issues anyway, but better safe than sorry during the DPC.
60-65 pounds of boost can make anything move over time lol

#28 ·
Good feedback. Now a couple more question. For the few of ya'll that are running twins(not neccassarily Innovaives but compaible). Are these trucks strickly race trucks or actuall daily drivers. I don't pull anything heavy enough to even mention with mine. So no need for the whole speach about over heating issues while pulling if set up for racing. I am very interested in this set up. But I am more what you would say a shade tree mechanic lol not a diesel mechanic. Although I have a friend that is a mech. for Ford. He knows the 6.0 well. So with that said I am confident we could get this kit in there. Not so sure about all this talk about grinding on turbos though lol. Well like I said I don't pull anything that a half ton couldn't ealily pull but this is a daily driver so I do need to use it not just race it. Also this set up will more than likely end up with 190 inj. Feed back please.

#30 ·
Good feedback. Now a couple more question. For the few of ya'll that are running twins(not neccassarily Innovaives but compaible). Are these trucks strickly race trucks or actuall daily drivers. I don't pull anything heavy enough to even mention with mine. So no need for the whole speach about over heating issues while pulling if set up for racing. I am very interested in this set up. But I am more what you would say a shade tree mechanic lol not a diesel mechanic. Although I have a friend that is a mech. for Ford. He knows the 6.0 well. So with that said I am confident we could get this kit in there. Not so sure about all this talk about grinding on turbos though lol. Well like I said I don't pull anything that a half ton couldn't ealily pull but this is a daily driver so I do need to use it not just race it. Also this set up will more than likely end up with 190 inj. Feed back please.
As mentioned above me, my truck is definitely a daily driven truck. BB is about to cross the 100,000 mile mark, on his body. My motor will have 15,000 on it at that point, but that's another thread if need be.
We didn't grind the turbo, because my S480 has the race cover on it (5.5" inlet) it sat so close to the manifold that we had to grind down the edge of the manifold to make room. The turbos we left alone.
I'm running Elite 225s with my set up. If you planned on running 190s I'd stick with some smaller turbos for even better daily driving performance. I wanted to have an all out racer at the push of a pedal, but it takes away a small bit of drivability, but not much.
If I were in your seat, I'd pick up the 62/70 for my small charger and pair it with the S475. You'll have plenty of street power and still have a well mannered truck too.
Hope this helps!

#34 ·
I don't know but if this thread starts selling twins for Innovative. I bound to be able to get a good deal, a percentage or at least a sticker lmao

On the last reply I said it would be nice if someone would put a different set of twins together to see how well they worked. I was talking about myself. After reading it. It may have sounded like I was expecting someone else to do it for me. Not what I meant.

#32 ·
you would never pass visual inspections. it probably says something along the lines of having an oem appearence. dont know bit i bet if you find the right shop...havent been out there in 10 years so dont know how strict it is now. but florida doesnt inspect diesel so cant complain now.

#39 ·
Eric the new files you sent last night woke that truck up huge, she's breaking 38in tires loose on dry pavement. Gotta love it. 190cc sticks with a 62/0 and a s475. She rocks

#40 ·
The s475 turbo sure seems like a pretty mean charger. The s480 moves more air but the 475 has one less compressor blade, so it seems to spool easier and in our situations it seems that we can push higher boosts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.