Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The New 2011 Super Duty 5ver Hitch

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  tbolt 
#1 ·
I have a new 2011 SD on order. The Reese Elite fifth wheel hitch that works with the factory installed hitch prep kit is Reese # 30143R I believe. It is rated at 25,000 pounds.

The Elite replaces the Signature Series from Reese and the two are visually identical. But as companies do, when they figured out the new Elite version was gong to be used on the 2011 Super Duty the price skyrocketed on the new Elite.

What are you guys paying for the new Reese Elite 25,000 pound hitch? Where is the best price available?

#2 ·
If it drops 5ers like other Reese hitches, I wouldn't get one.

#3 ·
I've never heard of a Reese dropping a trailer. Can you elaborate? I have one and this concerns me. Send me a pm if you don't want to highjack this thread. Or maybe the op is interested in your story.

#6 ·
All the drops I've heard of were when hitching. Some wiping out the bed or tailgate. The jaws didn't fully lock around the pin. I don't own one, but I can count at least 4 people I know personally that had this happen with a Reese.

#8 ·
Ive heard about that as well. but the ones I have heard about are because they didnt lock the jaws in place:doh:

Operator error

#9 ·
I think that is the only way for it to happen. I sprayed my locking jaws with white lithium grease. With the white grease I can easily see they are completely closed and I always do a little tug test before raising the landing legs. This vacation on my way home, I noticed they were not COMPLETELY closed because I was on a side slope and my landing legs were a little high. As soon as I retracted the landing legs a little I heard the jaws and the handle click and could easily see the white jaws completely closed. This could have easily been an incident some would blame on the hitch. I just don't see any way the witch will just randomly release the king-ping because of some design flaw. My hitch has pulled my 5er over some pretty dang rough roads from IN to OR and back and IN to AZ and back with no issues.

IMHO, it is all about a check list and double check. The REESE hitch has two obvious conditions that assure you it is locked around the king-ping. 1) The handle is completely retracted so you can flip the lock over the notch on the handle. 2) The jaws are completely closed around the king-pin. Checking both and doing a quick tug test will give you the assurance it wont DROP your RV.

#10 ·
My jaws are painted bright yellow. A look and a tug and that's it, I'd bet most were operator error.

#12 ·
In the 70's I owned a few big rigs and for the last 26 yrs have worked for a major producer & erector of precast concrete. Every time a driver looses one in our yard " the 5th wheel failed, broke" and the shop never finds anything wrong. More times than not they hit it too hard and it will bounce out or the trailer moves. They don't look or tug on it and off they go. 1 guy made it out the gate and when he turned up the street off it came. I'm not concerned at all about the reese hitch. They have been around a long time.

#13 ·
Go to the 5th wheel forum on rv.net and search for "bedsaver". 5th wheel dropping is so common with some hitches that the owners of said hitches feel they need another contraption to prevent bed damage when it happens.

I use a Hijacker, which has a drawbar that slides behind the pin. Positive and secure. There is no way for it to come unhitched. Its either hitched or it isn't.

I would have to do a lot of investigation before I bought a Reese hitch. My uncle dropped his trailer and wrecked his truck box when his Reese hitch didn't lock. However that happens. I've never used one.

#14 ·
I have an old RBW Lil Rocker with the same drawbar. True, it's easy to know. The handle slides into the locked position or it doesn't. There's no guessing. You can see it easily by the handle.

#15 ·
I have no idea why anyone would ever need an extra "piece of mind" contraption. Why not just make sure it is locked before you lift the landing legs and take off. Heck, when I owned a TT, I would do the "lift test" to see if cranking the jack would raise the truck. If it did, it was securely hitched. All that after the lock latch was down and the pad-lock was in place.

I still haven't seen anyone say they have seen a 5th wheel hitch of any brand drop an RV while cruising down the road. Only at hook-up or pulling away from hook-up.

But, I would be the first to say thank you to anyone that it has happened to since I use a REESE.

#16 ·
I have a reese and do not worry about it cause I tug on it before raising the landing gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.