Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dying 6.4 among other things

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Matt_P 
#1 ·
Well my 6.4 is not doin too well right now. Ever since my headgaskets were done and I got the truck back it had a squeaking that happened anywhere over a half throttle or so and it would throw a code P2289 Injector control pressure too high- engine off

Well the dealer looked at it and determined it wasnt a boost leak for the squeak but the code wouldnt throw when it was in. THey wanted to pull the cab to dig deeper but I couldnt afford to have the truck down for two weeks.

Fast forward 3 months later. Two weeks ago the truck started to throw the code every single time I started the truck. Before it was maybe once a day or less.

Then two days ago after I drove up to wisconsin it got really bad. Now if I start the truck and the code is thrown if I let it idle the truck will randomly idle up to 1500 RPM then back down to normal. Im not touching the pedal or anything.

Now if I shift into gear with the code thrown it will idle well over 2000 RPM without touching the gas. Ok so no clue whats going on there. So I cant drive with the code thrown, before if I drove with the code thrown it would just defuel if I went over three quarter throttle.

Now when I clear the code and its in park the truck will lope between 500-750 RPM just like the RCD lope tune.

When I clear the code the truck will drop the idle down to around 350-400 RPM and the pedal will be completely dead. Sounds like an old tractor idling and I litterally cant drive at all. After about three minutes the idle will come back up but now if I go over a half throttle the truck will die. Just shut down completely. Its done that 4 times now in a span of 20 miles. Last time was very difficult to start again.

It does it on the stock no regen tune, 210 tune, etc. Doesnt matter what tune Im on.

My problem is that Im 250 miles from my house in chicago. Im in my place in wisconsin where the nearest dealer of anything is about 2 or so hours away.

So basically I have zero clue what is going on. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
This is difficult to diag without a scanner, much less over the net, but based on the info provided, I would say you have a problem with the HP fuel system.
Could be a short in the harness, could be a solenoid on the HPpump sticking, could be a problem with the FRP sensor, seems like the pressure cannot release when it needs to, like the Pressure Control Valve is sticking or shorted somehow.

#4 ·
yeah I really dont know much about these engines but that makes sense to me. Its going to the dealer as soon as I get it home but just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts as well. I appreciate the input

#5 ·
No problem, yeah I would take it to the dealer, if it needs a HP pump or something the cab has to come off, so let them do it on there dime.

#6 ·
Easily could be something with the hp fuel system. just had a truck in that wouldnt start had water in the diesel and grenaded the hp fuel pump. get it to the shop asap. Ford should pay for the repairs. Thats if you have a cool dealer like me that fixes no matter what even if the truck is completley modded.

#7 ·
LAtely we have seen a bunch of HP pump failures due to water contamination, a few of the HP pumps came apart and sent metal shavings into the rails which got into the injectors and hung them open so we got melted pistons or hydrolocked motors. or the HP pump locks up starts stripping pump gears or cracking.

#9 ·
Well it made it home on the 250 mile trip, but I had to drive with the code thrown and man does it have jack Sh!t for power with that code thrown. I tried to clear the code but all it did was idle around 350 RPM the whole time or it just died.

I made an appointment for it to go to the dealer on monday

#14 ·
Just talked to the dealer and the issue is the fuel rail pressure sensor, that was what I had kind of suspected from the beginning after someone on here had suggested that.

Then the squeaking will be figured out if it starts doing that again

#15 ·
Well they went to put in the new FRP sensor and turns out the whole harness for it is shot as well. So thats on the way and should be in tomorrow then time to figure out the squeaking

#16 ·
Well here is the list so far of what they have replaced, and the truck is still at the dealer

FRP sensor
FRP sensor harness
Glow plug harness
Fuel injector harness
Serpentine belt
Oil and filter

Now the glow plug harness they put in ended up being defective so another was ordered and today it arrived but they sent an injector harness instead so now it should be here tomorrow

The luck continues, but thank god its under warranty

#18 ·
Yeah it definitely sucks, been sitting there a week and a half already. THey just keep finding more and more things that need to be fixed, hopefully its running nicely once its all done, it explains though why it started like crap when it was cold and felt real low on power

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.