Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

twin turbo kits.

23K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  NyCowboy87 
#1 ·
Whats a good twin set up for the good old 97 7.3?

#5 ·
Stocker equal boom. go with like a 38R. What are you going to do with the truck? Why do you want twins? What is your HP goal?

You dont live to far from where I am from. Naperville here.

#13 ·
I'd like to sled pull someday with it. But mainly I just want it for the power. As much as I can get out of it. Maybe 700-1000hp.

#7 ·
Yeah, definitely not a stocker though.

I'd probably like to go with a modded H2E over a 38R, but that's IMO...

#14 ·
That set up sounds perfect. How much does one of those caust?

#16 ·
As much as needed I guess.

#17 ·
if you are starting from scratch, and are going to fabricate things yourself, i would too go with one of the s300 framed turbo. Easy/cheaper to rebuild and the extended tip stuff is nice also. Plus there is a big selection of turbine and compressor wheels and housings to get you dialed in.

The reason i went with a 38r, is i already had one and also bb turbos are pretty durable. Also, i machined a 115 housing for it to accept an external wasategate, so i can slow it down or speed it up depending where i want to be as far as boost and drive are concerned. It doesnt go thru near the abuse it did as a single, as the 47 carries the bulk of the load in my setup.

The 47 is just a darn good all around turbo and spools quick for as big as it is. I do beleive if you wanted to keep less drive than boost up to 80+ psi you might select something different, as from my understanding a 47 doesnt breath on the exhaust side quite as well as a lot of 80mm+ turbos.

#20 ·
So your saying combine a 38 and a 47? i don't know a whole lot about turbos.

#18 ·
hey aggie, would you be willing to share some pics of what your twins look like?

#22 ·
AHH i see. i get it. Nice truck btw.

#24 ·
Any pictures?

#32 ·
so you have all this to talk about? or to actually do something with? i just couldnt imagine building something like this for no reason but pics. i know you dont compete or anything, but put somebody in the drivers seat who's willing to let it ride.

#30 ·
Sweet setup Joey. That thing is blingin under the hood LOL.

#33 ·
It will be used to tow whatever I pull. Looking at a 41ft Weekend Warrior right now.

4.10 gears are not exactly race track ready. Also, no traction bars is another problem. Axle warp is horrible with that wheel base. :doh:

The 97 will be a better toy. Regular cab, less weight, and if it breaks, I can leave it in the shop. LOL Thankfully Cali has these old trucks smog exempt! :rockwoot:

#34 ·
Those emission laws are a real killer when it comes to diesel huh. LOL

#41 ·
the whole point of twins is to be able to spool up faster. There is not much reason to build a set of twin that you have to sit and stage to build up boost unless you are building a straight Comp truck!! and in that case if you are looking to build a comp pulling truck with twins you had better have real deep pockets cause most guys in that class are well over 100k into their truck. Just some food for thought!!

#47 ·
you dont spool as fast as your hp spools, a little slower.

If you go from just running a 38r, as example, to a twin setup keeping the 38r as the highpressure turbo and then a larger one as the atmosphere, it will spool slightly slower than it did with just the 38r.

In a perfect world, i would want a larger turbine wheel than the 38r for my setup, so i would not have to wastegate as much. But being as i already had a 38r, the solution was pretty simple. If i were going to build a setup from scratch, id most likely use a s300 framed turbo as the highpressure. Or if Garrett would have built the 38r with the van turbine, then youd really have something.

i was talking to Pius years ago, and he told me he felt a bb charger can actually withstand a higher sideload from having air forced into than a jb turbo. however due to their inability to be cheaply rebuilt and their expensive nature, they are not worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.