Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What The?

663 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sniper_101 
#1 ·
New truck (in sig), recently developed/just noticed moderate wobble in the 5-15mph range when holding a steady speed. It feels like it it shifts the front over with a rotation of the tire, but just enough to notice. At this speed range when I get this wobble, if I turn there is a binding feeling through the truck, as if trying to turn in 4wd, but not as severe. There is play in the steering box, but nothing extreme by any mean, but is obvious play. Any suggestions?
- Running worn (5/32") LT285/75R16 A/T tires at the moment

Also, I plan on doing a leveling kit (front only), will the stock front brake lines be long enough? I need to replace one anyway, so I may as well check.

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
the pulling binding feeling could possibly be ball joints. as for the leveling kit yes the stock break lines should be plenty long enough. you may have to bend the tabs down a little just to get the springs in but can bend them back up after they are in. hope this helps

#3 ·
Stock brake lines are good to 8" lift.

The binding could be from the ball joints (as mentioned) but also can be from worn or seized u-joints at the steering axis. Lift the front wheels (one at a time) off the ground. Have the wheels turned fully one direction. Lock the hubs and spin the tire. If there is binding at all, the u-joints need replacing. Next take a long pry bar and use it to lift the tire. Check the ball joints for movement. Next check the hub bearings by grabbing the tire at 3 and 9 oclock and push and pull. If there is movement your hubs bearings are worn.

#4 ·
Wobble turned out to be a bubble(s) in the Front Right tire, new Firestone Destination MTs on the way.

Still unsure of the binding feeling while turning. It doesn't happen while turning the wheel, it's while the wheel is holding it's position in a turn, nothing severe, but noticable to me. Feeling is comparable to a locked rear diff or mis-aligned tires when turning. I'll wait for tires and an alignment and see if that helps/cures it.

Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.